I know I've posted this already in a few places, but thinking about this I've come to the almost opposite conclusion: IMO the one advantage ZC does have is the existing userbase, existing quests and resources, and existing brand.

In the early 2000s ZC was the only real game in town, and it would have made sense to "reboot" ZC and take it in a completely new direction. Now? Other "game maker" programs are a dime a dozen, including some that are Zelda-gameplay specific, such as Solarus. What is the purpose in trying to compete with these (already established) alternatives?

Now, I'm not against major changes per se: moving beyond Allegro 4.0 to a more modern backend; revamping the scripting aspect of ZC and making ZC's gameplay more customizable in general; overhauling screens and dmaps and scrolling; reducing the barrier of entry to crafting your first custom quest; etc. But I just don't see any sense in a complete rewrite/reboot/rebrand. Instead, I believe that ZC is currently propped up by a few foundational pillars that must be carefully maintained:

1. The community of existing quest authors, and their expertise with using ZQuest's current features;
2. The large canon of high-quality quests available for download and play.

Abandoning either of these two pillars would be disastrous, IMO, including making all pre-2.50.2 quests unplayable, or rebranding the program. Why give up on our main advantages?