178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    70.52%
    Interesting, I had to look up what a "flyweight" pattern was. I may not quite understand the concept correctly from the definition I saw though. To me "flyweight" just describes every program ever written in c, or just relegating the functionality of objects to the things that manage them. I don't know if that's right. ..?
    Looking at it again, I think I misread that before. You're probably using the flyweight pattern, but that's not what you were describing.
    It's basically deduplication. When you've got a lot of objects that are largely identical, don't give every one of them its own copy of the common data. Just keep one copy of each and give each instance a pointer. It's the same way combos work in ZC, for instance; each one on the screen is just a combo number rather than a separate copy of the definition.

Tell that to the stupid compiler.
    What I mean to say is that the "root of all evil" optimization isn't high-level design. It's stuff like rewriting a function in assembly to save a few clock cycles. Small things that make the code harder to understand and maintain for relatively little performance gain.

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.49%
    Quote Originally Posted by Saffith View Post
    Looking at it again, I think I misread that before. You're probably using the flyweight pattern, but that's not what you were describing.
    It's basically deduplication. When you've got a lot of objects that are largely identical, don't give every one of them its own copy of the common data. Just keep one copy of each and give each instance a pointer. It's the same way combos work in ZC, for instance; each one on the screen is just a combo number rather than a separate copy of the definition.

What I mean to say is that the "root of all evil" optimization isn't high-level design. It's stuff like rewriting a function in assembly to save a few clock cycles. Small things that make the code harder to understand and maintain for relatively little performance gain.
    I think I see what you mean though. [side note; awful explanation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flyweight_pattern ]
    It's like a chess program. Each piece has no information about itself, not even it's position. Then you get to the board, which defines all the pieces together as bit states. Then you have to up to a component that manages boards just to see if there's something at square 31, and so on. Very efficient.

Yep, ZC does do a lot of things well. Which is why I always think that rewriting it would be easy, because it's easy to see where the bare bones of it is very sane, and where it isn't.

There's probably many different definitions people have of what "optimization" is I guess. Trying to save a few cycles from a function that gets called 1000 times to me is stupid. Trying to stop potential L2 cache miss 1000 times on different particles, entities, and collision stuff is not stupid. That's just the way I see it.

Let's just put it this way:
    I have a 1.8GHZ CPU which comes out to *roughly* 30,000,000 CYCLES/FRAME. If I was taking 3% of that, then optimized it down to 1% of that, then those come out to be an improvement of 20,000 CYCLES/FRAME or 1,200,000 CYCLES per SECOND.

....I wonder if I can SIMD that? ..hmm.
    Last edited by Gleeok; 07-09-2015 at 07:22 AM. Reason: math is hard when you are tired
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Thread Information