Read-only archive of the Armageddon Games Forums Archive (2000–2026) · About this archive

ZC Final Poll

39 replies · 5,576 views · Started 30 August 2006

ok, at this point, we have two paths we can go through. We can either

A) Continue with what we're doing, ensuring that a stable release won't get released until later this year (it WILL come this year though) and possibly introducing more bugs with each succesive beta or

B) Take the code base of 12d, apply bug fixes and augmented features to that code base, and get a stable version to you in as little as a few weeks, depending on how quickly we fix bugs. However, the release with all the new features will then take some time to come out.

The choice is yours and yours alone. Good luck.

You know me, I've been screaming for a stable release for two years.
The way your "poll" is worded though doesn't exactly give enough information for a well thought out answer.
It looks like the difference is a couple weeks or four months.... but what exactly is the difference?

I'll wait and see if more info is forthcoming before I vote in the poll.

How long has it been since there *was* a completely stable release? 😉
Personally, I'm on the fence with this one. I can see how some people would want a release "as soon as possible", while others wouldn't mind waiting. This will take some thinking on my part to come to a decision... =/ (lol)

I choose option B. I would rather be able to use ZC without it crashing a lot (aspecially if your using the subsreen editor!) than get a new feature.😃

Sorry for not wording it properly. Basically, we're working on something that will be an awesome change for ZC (and one that can open the floodgates as far a quest design goes). However, it can possibly take quite a few months before it's table enough for release. On the other hand, we have the source or beta 12d still, and we can instead work on that, fixing bugs and adding smaller features that people want, then release that as a stable version in a couple of weeks. Then we can continue working on this change of ZC, which'll still take a while, but at least there'll be a stable versin in the meantime. So what do you say?

I say go for a stable release. 😉
That should cover all the quests that have been made up to this point, and the ones people are now working on, and then open the floodgates in the next version. 😉

I second that first a stable release and then you have more time and less pressure to release a version with all the new goodies 😉
and the zelda community has a stable version to work and play with in the meanwhile 😊

While a stable release *would* be nice, I'm not sure that I can personally condone such a gesture since several planned features are still missing. Completion of the new Link tiles/ animation system is a biggie, and we're still stuck with the SMAS screenwipe instead of something Zelda-like or adjustable, among other things like the need for larger monsters to go with larger Link.

I choose option A, unless 1.90 style Tribbles will be reimplemented soon.

I really haven't had crashing problems with the betas. The only obvious problem I've seen (vires not splitting) has been fixed. While I would like to see a stable version, I cannot consider it complete if older quests don't work correctly.

I would really like to ditch the old DOS 1.90 version.

http://www.armageddongames.net//thread/93009/

I'm going for the stable release. I agree with everything Freedom said. Get it stable now, for those that have quests in it (and there are many, myself included). Then work on the flood gate. I believe people are interested in what's new, but you guys have been at 2.11 for a while now. What's 6 more months?
I am interested in seeing what you guys are working on, but I must agree that the stable version should come first.

Seeing as the feature that changes ZC will take some time anyway, I go for Option B. I'd rather have a stable release with what we have already... as it's been awhile since we've had something that could be called stable (2.10 was not stable).

Edit: Such a good thing I didn't vote yet... as I said the wrong option in this post originally. :P

Despite the fact that this really isn't an informed decision, I suppose I'll go with B. However, it had better be COMPLETLEY bug free!

Option B does sound like the way to go. It would be nice to have a stable version, especially for a lot of the newer people here who have been bouncing back and forth. It may even get me to play around with some old ideas I had. I have no problem waiting for the new features, but let's iron out what we have here before a major overhaul. We need time to appreciate all the hard work you guys have done to get us to beta 12d.

Nnnnnnoooooooo!
Please can someone change my vote from A to B?
I thought it meant that if we chose A then 12d would be fixed and no new features would be added until we had a completely stable 12d, and then beta 13 (be careful. I suspect that there will be a lot of bugs in 13 lol) will come out with new features and not half as many bugs, but now after reading through it again I change my mind to B, seeing as a stable release is what we really need.

I like the new features as much as anyone, but I have 3 quests I've stopped on now because 2.10 is so problematic and uncertainty where 2.11 is going.
I can't get shops to work consistantly in 2.10 and can't see releasing something that just isn't going to work for many.
The 2.11b10b is probably the most stable of the 2.11's but it has some problems too.
2.11b12's all of them, just depressed the hell out of me.
there's something in there causing features to work and then not work and then work again, I don't even know how to report that as a bug, like with the item selector, for some people it just disappears, while others have no problem.
I just seems really unstable to me, it's not tight like the 2.11b10b was, meaning it's like on the verge of just sailing off with the wind, I can't pinpoint it, but have that feeling it's just about to unleash chaos, and it's going to land right on my face.

I hope by stable release, you mean tightening it up and fixing these problems, that I can't even seem to describe.

I vote option "B" we could always have another stable release 6 months from now right? And let me stess that importing and tile grabing must work flawlessly. With each new version It become harder for me to import my graphics into a quest, and its been addressed many times.

you people are so raggedy. We need a stable release so the developers can cool down for a few months (not years, you do not know if people will live that long) then after a few months we can continue with betas 😃.

IMHO, continuing with what we appear to be doing now, is like trying to rush your way through any given First Person Shooter game (Half Life or Serious Sam.) by just rushing through all the levels, running through all enemies, wading through damaging slime, ... ... etc. You get all the perks of seeing the new areas and enemies, and yeah, sure, it's glorious as anything, but you don't arrive there in the best of health. (But look at the bright side; you can finally lick your elbow. 😛 ... Since it's not attached to your body.)

So yeah, let's just concentrate on fixing up all the bugs while we have the chance.

Fixing bugs should be more important now than adding new uber cool revolutionary features. 😉

ZC community is badly in a need of a new stable version, there hasn't been one of those in ages. So I vote for option B.

Only problem with voting B is that Neofirst will need to not just speed up the pace, but it'll need way more speed. Ya know.... like... L33t-Uber-Fast-Speed-Demon-Skillz-Of-DOOOOOOOMMM!
Yeah... I think I said that really really fast...
Either way, I still picked option B, purely because 2.11 has way more than enough features already... and the fact that it's been how long since the last one came out? 1.7 years, something like that... anyhow, it's been a while and bug fixes are what too many of us have prayed for for too long. Heck, some of us BEGGED for it. Ooo... and the beg for the 2.10 bugfix release, which doesn't exist nor will it ever exist.

WindStrike wrote:Only problem with voting B is that Neofirst will need to not just speed up the pace, but it'll need way more speed.

That's a good point. What will happen with NeoFirst if this is released sooner than planned?
Will it be held off until the next one or just released as an ordinary custom quest.

Can't they put the Neofirst in when thats ready ? I think people really want a stable version and we don't need the Neofirstquest for that :shrug:

I say "B" for sure! I love new stuff, but I would rather have the bugs fixed
and be able to make a COMPLEATLY bug free quest.

As long as NeoFirst isn't expected in this stable release, I vote B. Seriously, it can't be expected to be finished in a matter of weeks when we still need levels 2 AND 3 built.

Rakki wrote:As long as NeoFirst isn't expected in this stable release, I vote B. Seriously, it can't be expected to be finished in a matter of weeks when we still need levels 2 AND 3 built.

Not if I have something to say about it *hint hint*

Hints suck, jman. I'm only psychic when it comes to rock, paper, and occasionally scissors. Your hints are in a deviously creative world of their own. PM people as necessary.

EDIT: Added a smily to show that I'm serious but not deadly serious.

😊

B is for bugfix. 😛

Yeah...I remember reading once that fixing bugs as soon as possible increases productivity by some large percentage (around 75%, I think?), since you don't have to deal with all the bugs later on when they start compounding.

Makes sense, I guess. 😛