7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    93.14%
    To have stumped you in the few places where I did makes me glad. I made a quest that I felt would surprise new and experienced players alike, which I hope adds to the fun factor.

I poured my heart and soul (and body and mind... seriously, I OD'd on caffeine working on this thing) into it. I focused so much, some of the ideas came to me in my dreams. I wanted to include conveyor belts all along (and it had nothing to do with Gleeok's "Conveyors may be OK" comment, but that was reassuring). Of course the maze paths were something I was thinking of from the beginning too, since I even asked about it in the discussion thread. Beyond that, the ideas stemmed from asking myself "how can I do something unexpected within the rules?" I believe I kept within the rules very closely, maybe not the spirit of them, but the letter of them anyway. If it wasn't against the rules, I kept my mouth shut so I could use it. :)

Spoiler: show

Dungeons
    Dungeons may be made as large or small as one wants and with any room configuration one wants, but the design of any particular room must be consistent with the first four quests. This means one wall on each side, one door of any type at most situated on a wall. The contents of a particular room are left to the designs of the quest maker, but as with the graphics and added items/enemies, faithfulness to the NES design is paramount. Conveyors may be okay. Large superstructures that require the use of several items to destroy may not.

Specific Dungeon Rules
    * One DMap per dungeon level! And all DMap Flags must be disabled for dungeon DMaps.
    * The Continue screen must be the dungeon's inner entrance screen.
    * The Compass Marker screen must be the Triforce Fragment's screen.
    * The Triforce Fragment's screen must warp Link to the dungeon's entrance in the overworld. (This is done by setting Side Warp A, by the way.)
    * The statue combos in the dungeon's inner entrance screen and the Triforce Fragment's screen cannot shoot fireballs.
    * No "Fall From Ceiling" enemy patterns.
    * All dungeon DMaps must be "NES Dungeon". So no Interiors with persistent secrets and non-functioning doors.
    * Don't use the "Treat as Interior Room" flag to bypass various limitations of the "NES Dungeon" DMap type, either.
    * There must be exactly 9 levels; no more, no less. Each level must have a map and a compass. You must use boss keys and boss doors. Each of the first 8 levels must contain at least one preprogrammed boss, one triforce piece, and at least one collectable item. The ninth level must only be accessible by collecting all eight triforce pieces. The boss of level 9 must be Ganon, and the
    final goal of level 9, and the quest, is to save Zelda.
    * Levels must use one of the NES dungeon palettes, and two or more levels can't use the same palette. Level 9 must use "White/Red".
    * One Ganon per quest, and one Zelda per quest.
    * A "Level 9 Entrance" screen must appear somewhere in Level 9 between the dungeon entrance and Ganon's screen, and can only be used once.

My baby Dodongos were my first real attempt at original sprites, so I'm surprised you didn't trash them, lol. I actually made the concept of them before I went about setting their traits in the enemy editor, so that is probably why it feels more authentic than some other enemy editor creations. Even so, I still like the way the Moas turned out more. If I were doing an unrestricted quest, i'd probably make more Moas, in 3 or 4 flavors.

Thanks for playing, and I'm glad you had a fun time. I'm surprised you enjoyed it that much, all things considered. :)
    Last edited by Imzogelmo; 12-27-2013 at 11:19 PM.

Keese
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    28.78%
    I think I'm late to the party for this one.

Finished first two levels. Level 2 did kill me once, but it wasn't the hack-fest I read about. Didn't see anything about ...
    Spoiler: show
    ... having to push two blocks in one room. Perhaps that means I missed something; so far I got the blue candle, the raft, and the first bomb upgrade from the levels, and the white sword and two HCs from the OVW.

Found Level 4 easily enough; not sure if I need to buy a key before entering, or whether I should have an extra key from Level 3.

Currently stuck looking for Level 3 (as well as 5,6,7,8 ... 9 was easy to find), as well as the blue ring and power bracelet.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    93.14%
    Coyote, you seem to be right on track as far as the items go. Level 2 has been toned down a bit from what it originally was. You'll probably find level 3 to be a bit easier than 2.

As for having to press 2 blocks, there is one very cryptic clue about it, but just know that if you hear the secret sound, it's not a mistake--something has changed so keep looking.

Hint: To access level X, you'll need an item from level X-2 (with 2 exceptions which you'll probably figure out later). Pay-for-info ladies are very useful in this quest, so I threw 4 of them in there. I think each one has 2 useful clues. If I get too many complaints about enigmatic features, I'm open to adding another clue in there.
    Last edited by Imzogelmo; 01-26-2014 at 05:36 PM.

Keese
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    28.78%
    Funny thing: the first thing I tried upon continuing, I found Level 3!

Now I know everything relevant about the OVW except for (a) one HC, and (b) the location of one level.

Will do more tomorrow.

Keese
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    28.78%
    I think I found a 'stuck' error: in Level 5, the 'Leever Room' doesn't have a staircase back, and I got stuck. Had to quit/save and come back.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    93.14%
    If all else fails, use the whistle.

Keese
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    28.78%
    Quote Originally Posted by Imzogelmo View Post
    If all else fails, use the whistle.
    I did ... and a blank tile appeared.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    93.14%
    Yeah, I should have made that gimmick a bit more obvious... (go stand on that blank tile, and use the whistle again).

Keese
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    28.78%
    Quote Originally Posted by Imzogelmo View Post
    Yeah, I should have made that gimmick a bit more obvious... (go stand on that blank tile, and use the whistle again).
    Wow ... would NOT have thought of doing that.

There's a lot going on with secrets, especially with Levels 6 and 7. (Haven't started 8; can only wonder at this point.) Might be a bit too obscure in some places.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.72%
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyotek4 View Post
    Wow ... would NOT have thought of doing that.

There's a lot going on with secrets, especially with Levels 6 and 7. (Haven't started 8; can only wonder at this point.) Might be a bit too obscure in some places.
    Double blocks should be made that way too. (grrrrrrrr)

-James

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nightmarejames YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/nightmarejames

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:
    Completed: Zelda NES Remastered, Demo 1st Quest, Demo 2nd Quest, James Quest: Remastered (V 2.1), Memorial Quest, New Quest 2 2015. New Quest: Rebuilt
    In development: Demo SP, James Quest: Remastered (V 3.0)t, 6QI

Thread Information