6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    19.59%
    Started playing this as I almost finished with my own entry, found a potential bug (or simply something I just don't get)
    zelda006.png

When you bomb the wall here for the secret room the whole bottom part does something weird. I don't know if this was intentional or not.

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    1.31%
    Quote Originally Posted by Love For Fire View Post
    Started playing this as I almost finished with my own entry, found a potential bug (or simply something I just don't get)
    zelda006.png

When you bomb the wall here for the secret room the whole bottom part does something weird. I don't know if this was intentional or not.
    It was intentional: it's a hint for later. Travel south through one of those opened pathways and you will learn:
    Spoiler: show
    there are spots on the overworld that appear solid but are not. This hint is essential to navigate the maze one screen south, which blocks the path to Dungeon 3

You will encounter similar oddities on certain screens when walking enemies begin to climb mountains (If you had hung around long enough on the screen, you'd have seen the Octoroks walking on the mountains that turned to sand when you bombed the cave. The quest has several situations like this but this is one of the few that is easily discovered (for the purposes I described in the spoiler). You will acquire a tool in Level 5 that will help you find these paths, even on screens where a secret would not reveal them (or they might not be easy to spot).

Thank you for your diligence!

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    1.31%
    Voting is now open for this quest. Vote for as many categories as you please, but be sure to vote before tax day!

Also, please post in this thread stating which categories you selected and explaining why you picked those categories.

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    1.31%
    I have updated the quest file. The updates only apply to Dungeon 9, particularly the very end of the dungeon. Without spoilers, I will just say that the arrow is now much more effective in the final confrontation. Remember to save a rupee for that last shot or it will all be over!

Keese
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    30%
    I just started this quest. If Level 1 is any indication, it might be some time before I get to another one.

"Bat-**** crazy" is the most appropriate phrase I can think of right now.

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    1.31%
    Is that really a bad thing?

Don't worry about the wind attacks, they won't make a return appearance until Dungeon 8, and then you have the option to avoid that room entirely.
    As for the potent enemies, I tried to use high-powered enemies in small numbers in the early dungeons to get the player's adrenaline pumping... before I introduced new enemy concepts.

Keese
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    30%
    Quote Originally Posted by CJC View Post
    Is that really a bad thing?
    Nothing wrong with it at all ... but at the least, there's NO way I could vote for this as an 'official 5th quest'. What I've seen so far is nothing short of astounding (and I'm still working through Level 2), but it's too far removed from the original for it to be considered.

At the same time: I'm keeping this quest around long after I've completed it. And very inspirational to those interested in creating their own quests.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    76.2%
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyotek4 View Post
    Nothing wrong with it at all ... but at the least, there's NO way I could vote for this as an 'official 5th quest'. What I've seen so far is nothing short of astounding (and I'm still working through Level 2), but it's too far removed from the original for it to be considered.

At the same time: I'm keeping this quest around long after I've completed it. And very inspirational to those interested in creating their own quests.
    Same thing I said. it's an awesome quest and really fun, but probably like Shoelace's, too far removed to even be considered. It's sad.

-James

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nightmarejames YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/nightmarejames

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:
    Completed: Zelda NES Remastered, Demo 1st Quest, Demo 2nd Quest, James Quest: Remastered (V 2.1), Memorial Quest, New Quest 2 2015. New Quest: Rebuilt
    In development: Demo SP, James Quest: Remastered (V 3.0)t, 6QI

Keese
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    30%
    The more I play through this quest, the more I lean towards rescinding my earlier comments regarding '5th quest' qualification.

The facts remain: the overworld is the same (save for the locations of 'lost' areas), the enemies in the overworld are the same (but watch your wallet vs blue Moblins!), the dungeons have the same color scheme, and the scripts are mostly the same.

At the same time, CJC has clearly taken the notion of 'classic quest' to the next level. Multiple dungeon entrances. Meaningful 'Take Any One You Want' choices (which will likely force me to play through this quest twice). New Items. New secrets. New enemies, beyond the 'color-swap' type.

This, to me, is an evolution of the 'classic quest' genre. If it doesn't actually win, I could see it being the 'jumping off point' for future challenges. Absolutely superb!

One complaint: FAR TOO MANY BOMBS available!

One 'typo' to report: the screen one down and one to the right of the NW corner has two staircases, only one of which can be accessed immediately.

Keese
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    30%
    Phew! Just finished what I have to consider to be as 'epic' a quest as one can have using the original OVW.

Exceptionally imaginative. And anyone who's seen "The Cube" can appreciate the tricks in a number of these dungeons.

I feel compelled to try this again, as ...
    I need to try it by taking the HCs over the items, both for the challenge and the chance to use the Master Sword. I don't like how the Letter is one of the 4 'give up' items, but there seems to be enough potion in the dungeons to make up for this. The other items are pure luxury, especially the 'orange ring', as it comes at the same time as the (inferior, I assume) red ring.

For all that, though, this feels more like a beginning than an ending.

A lot of the tricks seemed to be there more to showcase the tricks rather than improve the quality of the game. The sequence of rooms along the right-hand column in Level 9, for example, showcased a lot of new ideas ... but was particularly easy, considering that ...
    the Lens reveals everything, at no cost. Maybe makes things too easy.

Another instance:
    The Amulet is a great item, IMHO, but once it's introduced, is there really a need to continue to have so many rooms with nothing but red sword- and item-bubbles? I think it might play better to make the Amulet one of the 'luxury' items, and use such rooms a little more sporadically.

Whether the lack of authenticity hurts its chances, I cannot say. (I am certainly reconsidering my initial thoughts on that matter.) What I really see in this quest, is a 'First Quest' all its own, upon which others can build harder, similar quests.

No matter what, this is the first quest that truly 'blew me away', particularly the later portions of Level 9. Not just the Ganon battle, but the battles before that one. Very well done.

Kudos on such an enjoyable experience.

BTW, one nagging question:
    I found a cave with an old lady, selling very cheap, very useful items. I didn't find this until after I had gotten the Letter. Could I have still used this store without the Letter?

I suppose I can find out when I play through the quest a second time, but that will have to wait until I finish all the other entries.

Thread Information