40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.49%

Not A Bug 2.50.3 Wand Magic Damage Not Scaling with Level/Damage Without Script

I was working on a new dungeon, and I gave Magic-dead Zols 16 HP with a Wand that does 4 Damage on the menu (or 8 HP) (default is 2). But when I fire off spells, the damage stays at 2 Damage (4 HP).

This clearly should not happen. I want the wand magic damage to scale with the power of the wand.

-James

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nightmarejames YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/nightmarejames

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:
    Completed: Zelda NES Remastered, Demo 1st Quest, Demo 2nd Quest, James Quest: Remastered (V 2.1), Memorial Quest, New Quest 2 2015. New Quest: Rebuilt
    In development: Demo SP, James Quest: Remastered (V 3.0)t, 6QI

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.49%
    This is also true in 2.50.2.

-James

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nightmarejames YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/nightmarejames

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:
    Completed: Zelda NES Remastered, Demo 1st Quest, Demo 2nd Quest, James Quest: Remastered (V 2.1), Memorial Quest, New Quest 2 2015. New Quest: Rebuilt
    In development: Demo SP, James Quest: Remastered (V 3.0)t, 6QI

The Timelord
    QDB Manager
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    68.52%
    I could add a QR for it, and a rules set so that that rule is disabled for quests with a 2.50.2 header. 'Wand Projectile Damage Scales with Wand'; otherwise enabled by default.

Knowing that it was changed/broken in 2.50.2 is useful. Thank you.

Looking at the code again, the magic projectile power is set by either the Magic Book item, or the Wand item; but the magic book has priority:

Code:
    int pow = (bookid != -1 ? current_item_power(itype_book) : itemsbuf[itemid].power)*DAMAGE_MULTIPLIER;
    I know that I addressed this in the past. I believe that the way this works in all 2.50.x versions, is that the Power of a the player's highest level Magic Book item replaces the Power of all Wand items.

I need to check the 2.50.1 sources and see if it was changed there. No, it has not changed since 2.50.1.

Note that this is something that I adjusted in the 2.54 sources a long while back.

Gel
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    25.32%
    It was true in 2.50.0 as well, and I made multiple Wand/Book items with that in mind. The setup remained functional in 2.50.2, and I didn't expect it should ever work any other way - the Wand damage setting for melee damage, and the Book damage setting for magic blast damage.

Having just tried using the L2 Wand without the L1 Book, its magic damage suddenly matching its melee damage was a surprise to me.

The problem in a situation like this is that, because the original game only had L1 for each item, we don't have an NES reference for what "clearly" should or shouldn't happen when a quest maker adds L2 items. I personally prefer them the way they are, as it gives the Books an actual useful purpose (to my goals, at least).

I suppose you could make it an item setting as well, rather than a quest rule - have a checkbox in the Magic Book item editor saying "Book magic damage overrides Wand magic damage," or something to that extent.

Either way, thanks for bringing this up. I've been doing an update to an old quest, and I'm going to account for this now.

Here lies mero. Died by his own dumbassitude.
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    13.96%
    No need for a quest rule, just add a equipment flag.
    It's always been this way as far as the item editor is concerned.

The Timelord
    QDB Manager
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    68.52%
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamamo View Post
    No need for a quest rule, just add a equipment flag.
    It's always been this way as far as the item editor is concerned.
    I have already modified the wand and book behaviour for the 2.54+ API spec. I'm not adding any changes to the item editor in 2.53; which is why I was going to add a rule bit for it, which would do a max() on the values. As long as it is not a new bug, I probably won't touch it.

If we get 2.53 out this month, then I can focus on 2.54 for the winter (e.g. 'holiday') season, and add in new stuff like this. In that spec, there are damage values for melee and projectile on the wand, and damage values for the magic and the fire, for book items. I can add an override flag to books too, though. I'm not sure what approaches overkill with these options.

I do think that the check for the wand power should do max(itemsbuf[wand].power, itemsbuf[book].power) to ensure that this does not occur, but some sadistic questmaker might rely on it to nerf the wand.

Here lies mero. Died by his own dumbassitude.
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    13.96%
    @ZoriaRPG
    2.54 would make a excellent christmas present

Thread Information