User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help with setting up a controller!

Gel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    34.29%

Help with setting up a controller!

I have a SNES USB controller that I really want to use with the Zelda Classic but I have no idea how. I go into settings and go into the gamepad/joystick thing and I don't know to program it. I click the button and then try to hit something on my controller but it doesn't work. I don't really like using the keyboard so if anyone could help, that would be amazing!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    83.51%
    Quote Originally Posted by amvillacres View Post
    I have a SNES USB controller that I really want to use with the Zelda Classic but I have no idea how. I go into settings and go into the gamepad/joystick thing and I don't know to program it. I click the button and then try to hit something on my controller but it doesn't work. I don't really like using the keyboard so if anyone could help, that would be amazing!
    Were you successful at reprogramming the button configuration of the keyboard? If you can reassign the keyboard controls, then you understand how it should be done because doing so with a controller is the same, except for that you have to be sure to click the joypad tab instead of keyboard controls. Also the EX buttons have their own tab as well.

Another noteworthy thing is when reassigning buttons is that your controller has to be plugged in and working on your PC before you boot ZC, it will not recognize a controller that is plugged in after ZC is launched.

You can go to your device window in the control panel and make sure that your controller is plugged in and working properly. Many systems have the option to click on the device, click properties, and a test window that indicates what buttons and whatever axises the controller is capable of utilizing are pressed.

If you're still not getting functionality out of your controller I recommend testing the controller to make sure it's registering on your computer first, then booting up ZC, and make sure that you're clicking on the joypad configuration menu item, and not the keyboard menu item.

Gel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    34.29%
    Quote Originally Posted by Zim View Post
    Were you successful at reprogramming the button configuration of the keyboard? If you can reassign the keyboard controls, then you understand how it should be done because doing so with a controller is the same, except for that you have to be sure to click the joypad tab instead of keyboard controls. Also the EX buttons have their own tab as well.

Another noteworthy thing is when reassigning buttons is that your controller has to be plugged in and working on your PC before you boot ZC, it will not recognize a controller that is plugged in after ZC is launched.

You can go to your device window in the control panel and make sure that your controller is plugged in and working properly. Many systems have the option to click on the device, click properties, and a test window that indicates what buttons and whatever axises the controller is capable of utilizing are pressed.

If you're still not getting functionality out of your controller I recommend testing the controller to make sure it's registering on your computer first, then booting up ZC, and make sure that you're clicking on the joypad configuration menu item, and not the keyboard menu item.
    I did all of that and even tested it on a SNES emulator and it worked perfectly, but when I try and program the buttons it doesn't work. I went in to all of the menus and tried but it didn't seem to work! I don't know what to do at this point!

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    93.8%
    Make sure that there are no other controllers plugged into the computer because ZC will only acknowledge whatever Windows says is the first controller.

Gel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    34.29%
    Quote Originally Posted by Majora View Post
    Make sure that there are no other controllers plugged into the computer because ZC will only acknowledge whatever Windows says is the first controller.
    I unplugged everything and yet it still didn't work. It might just be my controller but I don't think so.

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.11%
    Quote Originally Posted by amvillacres View Post
    I unplugged everything and yet it still didn't work. It might just be my controller but I don't think so.
    You have to plug the controller back in after you unplug everything for it to work! Katchaaaaa...

I actually added a config setting for that: "joystick_id" ..or something. Might even of added shortcut keys too, but damned if I can remember.
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Gel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    34.29%
    So it turns out that the problem was that I was using the z-launch to open the zelda classic but I needed to open the zelda classic with the shortcut. *facepalm*

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    93.8%
    Quote Originally Posted by Gleeok View Post
    You have to plug the controller back in after you unplug everything for it to work! Katchaaaaa...

I actually added a config setting for that: "joystick_id" ..or something. Might even of added shortcut keys too, but damned if I can remember.
    It's called "joystick_index" and I just looked and its set to 0. Does that mean "no joystick" or is that the weird thing where 0 = 1. So say if I had 3 controllers then controller 2 would be marked as 1? I'll still fiddle around because ZC refuses to acknowledge my xbox 360 controller and playing with a keyboard is a royal pain in the ass with two extra buttons. <_>

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.11%
    It's called "joystick_index" and I just looked and its set to 0. Does that mean "no joystick" or is that the weird thing where 0 = 1. So say if I had 3 controllers then controller 2 would be marked as 1? I'll still fiddle around because ZC refuses to acknowledge my xbox 360 controller and playing with a keyboard is a royal pain in the ass with two extra buttons. <_>
    Yeah, indices start at 0, so 0 = 1st input joystick device.

allegro doesn't support XINPUT, so zc doesn't (YET) either... Microsoft has this genius idea to save a fey bytes in thier DX xcontroller bullshit (or something) so that analogs aren't compatible with the rest of their MM or DX bullshit (or something).

Rule of thumb: If something doesn't work keep sending MS error reports about it. (or something)

This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    93.8%
    Quote Originally Posted by Gleeok View Post
    Yeah, indices start at 0, so 0 = 1st input joystick device.

allegro doesn't support XINPUT, so zc doesn't (YET) either... Microsoft has this genius idea to save a fey bytes in thier DX xcontroller bullshit (or something) so that analogs aren't compatible with the rest of their MM or DX bullshit (or something).

Rule of thumb: If something doesn't work keep sending MS error reports about it. (or something)

Thread Information