35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    92.51%
    Thanks, for the help CJC! I really appreciate it. I'll see what I can do about that tree stump. (It never really fit in there in the first place )

EDIT: Here is some more screenies!

These are all subject to change in the future.
    Last edited by Ventus; 12-16-2012 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Added some more screens

Faith, Trust, and Sexydust. Lynker's Avatar
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    56.17%
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosh View Post
    Lynker, may I put forward a challenge? I want you to make a solid DoR screen using no custom tiles or palettes. This screen as well as a lot of your recent work just feels like it's using custom stuff as a crutch rather than a supplement. I think maybe if you designed your screens with default DoR tiles first and then swap them out for the custom ones later your screen design would improve immensely. When you have a huge-ass custom tile showcase going on it's easy to overlook nonsensical stuff like that random dirt to sand transition in the middle of a grassy field. I feel I should also add that MC moblins don't work at all when shrunk to 16x16 pixels. They just look silly.
    Uh, Moosh, you do know tiles are meant to be used, right? The new tiles are used to enhance the game. Not just for them to be there. Your argument makes it sound like that I have to use classic for it to look good.
    This is the worst advice I have ever heard.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    88.39%
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynker View Post
    Uh, Moosh, you do know tiles are meant to be used, right? The new tiles are used to enhance the game. Not just for them to be there. Your argument makes it sound like that I have to use classic for it to look good.
    This is the worst advice I have ever heard.
    You misinterpret my meaning. The tiles are fine, but they blind you to the most basic flaws in your screen design. Just try building your screens in regular DoR without the custom content first and I think you'll understand what I mean. The custom tiles draw your eyes away from the rest of the screen making it much harder to spot logic and perspective mistakes.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    56.17%
    Then what else is "wrong"?

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    21.92%
    To be honest, if it's unwise to use custom tiles, then how would have these wonderful tilesets such as Dance of Remembrance be made in the first place? =P

Also speaking of custom tiles:

No ground detail or finished subscreen but it's a start!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    88.39%

For starters, the screen feels really topheavy. Almost the entire top half of the screen is unwalkable. Screens like this can work when used in moderation, but I felt I should point that out. As long as you aren't doing this everywhere it should be fine. Also looking at the player's pathing options, this screen really encourages edge hugging. Might wanna keep that in mind too. I made a "tutorial" about screen flow and stuff. Mainly just my design philosophy. Feel free to accept or deny the stuff I say there. Not claiming any of this as solid fact.

Now let's examine those mountains. First of all, there's a tile error in the bottom left corner with the mountain backs. It should be only half a tile of mountain, not a full tile. Looking at the tops of the mountains, I see a big strip of empty tiles on the top left side of the screen and a big strip of detail on the bottom left. It just doesn't look natural to me. Real life mountains don't have screen borders and as such real life rocks aren't aware of screen borders. Realism? Not so much. Another conditional thing I'd like to add is that if either of those ledges are accessible you need to clear up some space and give them some sort of purpose. Otherwise I'll assume they aren't.

Looking at the ground there's the dirt to sand transition which I believed I've already covered. There's also the transition between the grass and the mountain on the bottom left section of the screen. The grass overlapping the mountain just looks really strange and messes with the perspective. IDK if that's a DoR default thing but I'd recommend changing it. The grass in relation to the castle is also very strange. It overlaps the castle on the horizontal sections, but not the diagonals or the base of the rightmost tower.

Finally, moving on to the castle tiles themselves there's a nasty perspective clash between the towers and the walls. The towers appear to have a more top-based perspective than the walls and don't even get me started on how it doesn't fit next to those DoR mountains. I think it would fit much better with gameboy perspective mountains. Maybe that last part's just me.

I remind you that you asked me to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    To be honest, if it's unwise to use custom tiles, then how would have these wonderful tilesets such as Dance of Remembrance be made in the first place? =P

Looking good, but I think you should improve the mountain to water transitions to be less square and the greens in the palette should be less vibrant IMO. Screen itself looks solid. Not sure you want criticism on that. Are those shells walkable? If not, you might wanna remove the one under the mountain overhang.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.43%
    Moosh, I believe your opinion in the castle screen was a little too picky. I mean, sure, it is top heavy, but sometimes a screen like that is needed to make an overworld seem more like a world than an patterned jigsaw puzzle. I have at times made many top heavy, bottom heavy, and side heavy screens in my time, as long as I know there are many screens that are fully walkable.

I personally think the screen is beautiful amd perfect, I wouldn't change it for the world, but of course balance it out with walkable screens.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    56.17%
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post

Perfection. I love you. D;

The colors are amazing (And fit the area), and the screen design works nicely. Though the shell on the mountain looks a bit strange, it also looks nice. The trees are also wonderful. A+

Resident Rockstar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    45%

Quest for the Trident lives!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    55.17%
    My first GB style screen:

Perhaps there's not enough open space, but its a work in progress.

Thread Information