12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    63.99%
    Option 5 would do well if there were enough artists around to contribute. If we're talking about completely new graphics, I can't see that happening. If we're talking about compiling a tileset from existing graphics plus new ones, that's more likely but still seems very ambitious. However it would be awesome to see a new tileset be completed.

I myself am most comfortable using Pure first, GameBoy second. I feel like they're a little more difficult to use, but with them there is more variety to work with than in classic derivatives or something like BS or NewFirst.

クールな男
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    96.41%
    I had absolutely no idea that the Pure tileset was from PureZC...like, literally never crossed my mind.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    63.99%
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterSwordUltima View Post
    I had absolutely no idea that the Pure tileset was from PureZC...like, literally never crossed my mind.
    Wow, me neither! I can't believe I never thought about that!

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.96%
    I was thinking about this and the tileset's defining characteristic will need to be the ease of using mountains. When I was working on my entry to the 5th contest, I began to understand just how flexible a set of classic mountains could be with only six combos. I think whichever set we choose needs that same flexibility to keep overworld screen fabrication swift and functional.

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.96%
    It's been a while, so I thought I'd revive this discussion again.

As I think about it more and more, Classic derivatives are the fastest to use for screen construction because of their limited (or nonexistent) layering requirements and their fluidity. @DragonDePlatino 's Koten set has been getting a lot of buzz lately, has anybody built screens with that one?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    98.25%
    Quote Originally Posted by CJC View Post
    It's been a while, so I thought I'd revive this discussion again.

As I think about it more and more, Classic derivatives are the fastest to use for screen construction because of their limited (or nonexistent) layering requirements and their fluidity. @DragonDePlatino 's Koten set has been getting a lot of buzz lately, has anybody built screens with that one?
    Ohhh...I know a couple of chaps over on PureZC that have been using the tileset! Mainly Benji and Demonlink.
    Really fantastic stuff over there! I love how even though Koten has the same number of tiles as Classic, it's still encouraging people to make more dynamic screens. :)

If you guys end up using this for anything, drop me a line and I'll make any tweaks you'd like...

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.7%
    Does it really have to be one tileset? I know that was an original parameter but seeing how long this has been inactive it my be a necessary drop. It might be better to simply limit it to any non classic tileset that is complete* and publicly available. Or make a list of acceptable tilesets.

*Complete for ZC 2.5

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.96%
    Come to think of it, whomsoever wins the first part of the contest (Overworld layout) will be handing over a file which will be supplied to all entrants for the second half of the contest (Dungeons), so I guess as long as the set can handle everything ZC 2.5 can throw it'll be fine.

So I guess all that leaves is discussing the rules of the contest's two parts. I'll get the ball rolling:

Part 1
    1.) No more than 3 Overworld maps (not counting layer maps): Secret placement is going to be a little more obvious than in the Classic game, given the more flexible graphic options, but we don't want the player to become exhausted exploring overworld screens. Towns, Forests, Mountains, Swamps, you should be able to squeeze more than enough of this into three maps. Any submission with more than three overworld maps will be disqualified.

Part 2
    1.) No more than 4 Dungeon maps (not counting layer maps): The emphasis of this contest is the brave new world. Dungeons should be concentrated awesome, not sprawls. Again, we do not wish to exhaust the players with long treks. Interiors are part of this limit, as they are part of the dungeon half of the contest!

With crazy layering that's 49 Maps! These are extremes, though, hopefully players will tailor their dungeons to fit together nicely on the fewest maps possible, like the original did.
    It might also be a good idea to limit layering to help control file size.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.7%
    Come to think of it, whomsoever wins the first part of the contest (Overworld layout) will be handing over a file which will be supplied to all entrants for the second half of the contest (Dungeons), so I guess as long as the set can handle everything ZC 2.5 can throw it'll be fine.
    Exactly which is why the tilesets should be approved. Anyone who wants to take place in the next phases of this shouldn't be forced to deal with an incomplete, unorganized, or otherwise not-very-usable tileset.
    Part 1
    1.) No more than 3 Overworld maps (not counting layer maps): Secret placement is going to be a little more obvious than in the Classic game, given the more flexible graphic options, but we don't want the player to become exhausted exploring overworld screens. Towns, Forests, Mountains, Swamps, you should be able to squeeze more than enough of this into three maps. Any submission with more than three overworld maps will be disqualified.
    3 seems a bit excessive to me. I would rather see 1 very well designed map than 3 unrefined ones. I personally feel one map with allowances of using a second as necessary. To keep this from getting out of hand and people from over extending themselves. layers should be limited in number and how they are executed. Like using auto layers on subsequent maps.

Part 2
    1.) No more than 4 Dungeon maps (not counting layer maps): The emphasis of this contest is the brave new world. Dungeons should be concentrated awesome, not sprawls. Again, we do not wish to exhaust the players with long treks. Interiors are part of this limit, as they are part of the dungeon half of the contest!
    Should we be getting into part 2 of this? Who knows when it could happen.

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by SUCCESSOR View Post
    Exactly which is why the tilesets should be approved. Anyone who wants to take place in the next phases of this shouldn't be forced to deal with an incomplete, unorganized, or otherwise not-very-usable tileset.

3 seems a bit excessive to me. I would rather see 1 very well designed map than 3 unrefined ones. I personally feel one map with allowances of using a second as necessary. To keep this from getting out of hand and people from over extending themselves. layers should be limited in number and how they are executed. Like using auto layers on subsequent maps.

Should we be getting into part 2 of this? Who knows when it could happen.
    I was actually thinking auto-layering should be required, just to keep the maps tidy. My big concern is that such eats up a lot of quest space (though I suppose it's less when many of the screens are empty).

Now that I think about it... interiors probably should be handled in the overworld part of the contest, rather than the dungeon part of the contest.

I only brought up Part 2 because I felt it was essential to establish a map limit early on, as such a limit would apply to both halves of the contest. I suppose we do not need to discuss dungeons yet.

Thread Information