0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    98.33%
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrl-alt-delete View Post
    It's only in four games.

The Oracle Games and The Legend of Zelda, which occur in the fallen hero timeline.

Twilight Princess, which occurs in the child timeline.

Note that no wooden sword appears in the adult timeline. Why not? Deku Sprout.
    Good question master....

Lmao...

What a thing to notice.?..but indeed....interesting.

J~
    A severed foot is the ultimate stocking stuffer.

Mitch Hedberg

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.98%
    Huh, I always figured that Deku Babas were poisonous growths of the Deku Tree, grown because of the contamination of "that guy that stopped by and screwed everything up". But you make a good point, because the walls inside the Deku tree aren't flammable and they're also incredibly durable.

But does the wooden sword HAVE to be made of special material? I mean, it's used to kill cephalopods (which you could kill with a club) and insects (again, smashy smashy). The only time it's ever used to kill beasts that you would have to lacerate is in Zelda 1, and that could be perceived as a limitation of the engine. Even without puncturing the skin, Link has the physical strength to cause internal bleeding with a forceful thrust of the weapon, so he could certainly jab things to death with it, even made out of ordinary hardwood like maple.

What about the Deku Shield? Is it bark from the tree? And if it is, isn't it sort of twisted that the Kokiri are selling their leader's skin?
    I'm an author. If you're interested in checking out my works, you can find them on Amazon.com:

Armageddon Task Manager

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    11.78%
    Quote Originally Posted by CJC View Post
    Huh, I always figured that Deku Babas were poisonous growths of the Deku Tree, grown because of the contamination of "that guy that stopped by and screwed everything up". But you make a good point, because the walls inside the Deku tree aren't flammable and they're also incredibly durable.

But does the wooden sword HAVE to be made of special material? I mean, it's used to kill cephalopods (which you could kill with a club) and insects (again, smashy smashy). The only time it's ever used to kill beasts that you would have to lacerate is in Zelda 1, and that could be perceived as a limitation of the engine. Even without puncturing the skin, Link has the physical strength to cause internal bleeding with a forceful thrust of the weapon, so he could certainly jab things to death with it, even made out of ordinary hardwood like maple.

What about the Deku Shield? Is it bark from the tree? And if it is, isn't it sort of twisted that the Kokiri are selling their leader's skin?
    Babas, could be, but they're in Termina, far away from the Deku Tree's influence.

Of course it doesn't have to--but it's still an interesting idea, nonetheless. Especially considering the "prove your courage by showing a wooden sword" bit in Seasons. Why would an old man in a cave give away his presumably only line of defense? Unless of course he was told to only hand it to "a hero clothed in green?"

Interesting you mention the shield--although it isn't canon, Link crafted a Kokiri sword FROM the Deku tree bark in the Manga, so I feel there is some precedent here. (I only found this out when I googled to see if this theory had ever been presented before the night I came up with it.)

It seems likely to me that with the tree dead and Link leaving, perhaps somebody crafted a sword to commemorate the both of them.

<SUCCESSOR> Its Shadowblazer's dark essence invading the forums

The Artist Once Known As Old-Skool QDB Manager
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.04%
    worth noting is that the wooden sword of the first Zelda is the only wooden sword capable of firing beams. Although this too can be argued as an artifact of early days, starting with this ability in both of the first two games led to it being very iconic of the first Link. I can get behind the idea that this is some extension of the Deku Tree's power.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    98.33%
    I don't think it's wood at all...it's a miss moniker....I think it's actually a high quality plastic...made to look like wood....but because nothing is plastic in Hyrule, the sages thought the sword was pretty bad ass...I heard they also have a shrine where they worship an old can of Rainier beer that washed ashore...

Mr. McGuire: I want to say one word to you. Just one word.
    Benjamin: Yes, sir.
    Mr. McGuire: Are you listening?
    Benjamin: Yes, I am.
    Mr. McGuire: Plastics
    A severed foot is the ultimate stocking stuffer.

Mitch Hedberg

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.79%
    And what kind of wood will shoot out beams when the wielder is at full health? Admittedly, that's only in the first game (as far as I know)
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Thread Information