Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    52.49%

[3.0]Item Editor changes

I've been thinking. When the times comes for the rewrite to be worked on, maybe some adjustments could be made to the item editor. For example, as mentioned in a suggestion thead I posted last year, some types of items use multiple sound effects, such as the sword and the bombs, but only one sound effect can be selected, while the rest are hard-coded. So maybe a sound effects tab would be a good idea, so that you can edit all the sound effects used for one item class. For example, the sword would have the stab and slash sound and the beam sound. But instead of entering numbers, why not have a dropdown menu listing all the sound effects.

Also, some item classes have values where certain numbers affect the item's behavior, like the whistle's misc 1, which determines the direction for the whirlwind. So instead of having to enter numbers, why not have a dropdown menu listing all the different behaviors. But for shields, boomerangs, and hookshots, perhaps a dropdown checklist for the block and reflect attributes would be nice. Anything checked would be blocked and/or reflected. It would save the trouble of having to add up all those numbers for different combinations.

Also, why not have an editable beam impact sprite for the sword, so that you don't have to offset the beam impact sprite if you're using animated sword beams, and why not make the hard-coded impact sprite for boomerangs and arrows editable, but have them as separate sprites.

PS: And yes, I pretty much got these ideas from the current list of item editor misc properties on the ZC Wiki.

I also mentioned some item editor changes in an earlier suggestion thread I posted last year:

The Magic Book Class:
    Why not add a 'Don't Provide Light' misc. flag for in case the Fire Magic flag is checked, since the Candle and Din's Fire classes already have this flag, and the flame produced by fire magic provides light. And perhaps a Flame Damage misc property to determine how much damage (in 1/2 hearts) the flame produced by Fire Magic does, whereas the power determines how much damage the magic itself does.

Classes that are typically used to increase/decrease counters or counter maximums:
    This includes Rupees, Hearts, Heart Containers, Magic Jars, Magic Containers, Normal Keys, Bomb Ammo, and Arrow Ammo. Other than being used for counters, these don't do much else, so why not merge all of these into a single item class called 'Miscellaneous'.
    Last edited by XMuppetSB; 03-30-2014 at 02:02 PM.

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    1.26%
    Quote Originally Posted by XMuppetSB View Post
    I've been thinking. When the times comes for the rewrite to be worked on, maybe some adjustments could be made to the item editor. For example, as mentioned in a suggestion thread I posted last year, some types of items use multiple sound effects, such as the sword and the bombs, but only one sound effect can be selected, while the rest are hard-coded. So maybe a sound effects tab would be a good idea, so that you can edit all the sound effects used for one item class. For example, the sword would have the stab and slash sound and the beam sound. But instead of entering numbers, why not have a dropdown menu listing all the sound effects.
    What about combining sound effects with misc sprites in a new 'effects' editor? That way you could assign one sound per effect, and then when a weapon calls that effect it calls the sound with it. (Yeah, it seems like this would cause a problem for items like the Lens, but a particle effect could be added to the Lens item and you could simply leave it blank if you don't want to SEE the effect).

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    52.49%
    Quote Originally Posted by CJC View Post
    What about combining sound effects with misc sprites in a new 'effects' editor? That way you could assign one sound per effect, and then when a weapon calls that effect it calls the sound with it. (Yeah, it seems like this would cause a problem for items like the Lens, but a particle effect could be added to the Lens item and you could simply leave it blank if you don't want to SEE the effect).
    Actually, I don't think that would work out too well. But either way, if there were an SFX tab then perhaps it could have up to 5 or 10 action SFX slots, just as the action tab has 10 weapon/misc sprite slots. There would also be a slot for the pickup sound, of course.

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    1.26%
    You're right. Although... the pickup sound could be the last action sound for the item since no item in the system has or likely ever will use all ten action slots. Definitely a desirable feature.

Here lies mero. Died by his own dumbassitude.
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    13.96%
    I wouldn't mind a don't provide magic flag for scripting reasons

Thread Information