Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    36.53%

Underrated Consoles

I have always felt that the Dreamcast was given enough credit. I found it to be a pretty decent console myself.

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    1.42%
    I was quite fond of the Gamecube, though relative to other consoles in that generation it did rather poorly. Doesn't help that Nintendo released it right before the internet console craze.

Dreamcast was definitely way ahead of its time. Sega had that problem, they frequently released products that the gaming community was not ready for. Had it come out a generation later it would have done quite well. Sad, really, when innovation is the downfall of a company.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    83.8%
    Dreamcast seemed great to me, I just never bought one. Shenmue looked like the best game of all time for the time, and those other games like Virtua On were pretty great, and I got to see some of Sword of the Berserker that was pretty sweet too.

Turbo Graphix 16 is/was pretty great for it's time too, and I've never seen another one aside from the one I had for awhile, nor any real talk of it either.

Gibdo
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    92.67%
    Quote Originally Posted by CJC View Post
    Dreamcast was definitely way ahead of its time. Sega had that problem, they frequently released products that the gaming community was not ready for. Had it come out a generation later it would have done quite well. Sad, really, when innovation is the downfall of a company.
    The DreamCast was way ahead of its time, but I also know what aided in its downfall was piracy on it, Sega didn't really have to way to stop the game piracy.
    I mean you have to do is obtain some game disk images burn to CD and play, there was nothing else that needed to be done... Well except a few games that needed a boot disk.

Its a shame that sega released a model of the console with the ability to play burned games taken away too late in the console's life.
    I'm sure that some developers didn't want to make games on the console in the first place since it was so easy for people to play the games for free.

But damn the DreamCast had some pretty damn good hardware through I mean the graphics were great, just as good as the PS2.
    Really through the console was way to advance for its time and it fell through peoples hands and landed in the trash.

But really though the DreamCast was truly a underrated console it had power and it had some great games.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    65.77%
    I loved me some GameCube. I know the controller was wonky as hell, but I remember being quite fond of it... except for the shoulder buttons. The hell was up with those clunky bastards?

I never owned a DreamCast, and I think I have only played one once in my life, but by all accounts, it was a solid console that simply came out too early. Weird.

I think there's a chance of the Wii U going down this route, though whether it'll be rememberd as 'underrated' or just 'subpar' remains to be seen. Or, who knows, maybe it'll start selling like crazy?

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    52.05%
    I love the Gamecube. Though it wasn't a perfect console it was a great one. It was a lot of steps in the right direction, but it couldn't make up for the damage done by the N64's limitations and Nintendo burning bridges with developers and fans. The lack of support for the GBA link-up was BS. The whole life of the GC produced like 2 quality games that utilize it.

The Dreamcast being too "ahead of it's time" was the least of Sega's problems. They never learned a lesson from Nintendo's success. They lost the trust of their fans by pulling the plug on the Saturn too early. Piracy is often claimed to be the greatest downfall but i hardly think it made much of a difference. Pirates are a very small portion of gamers especially back then and frankly the Dreamcast's lack of developer support and the overwhelming presence of the PS2 killed off any chance it had. Don't get me wrong. The Dreamcast was great. It had some great games for the way things turned out. It had a lot of potential. It's a Shame Sega couldn't pull it off.

I think the Wii was an underrated console. Sure it sold well, but a lot of people disregarded it as a casual gaming console for your grandmas house when the kids visit. There are some amazing games for the Wii. I've done more gaming on the Wii than my Xbox 360.

Gel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.59%
    what about gameboy advance ??

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.2%
    TurboGraghics16! (Unfortunately they had little good titles for it...)

Quote Originally Posted by travis.ross88 View Post
    what about gameboy advance ??
    That would be a handheld, not a console.
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

How many licks to get to the center Chris Miller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    38.78%
    The Sega Master System.

Download Lands of Serenity today! You will be knocked comatose by its sheer awesomeness.
    The Titan's Quest, best played in the bathroom as the excitement can be somewhat...overwhelming.

Official AGN Discord Channel

Official ZC Dev Discord Channel

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    24.76%
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Miller View Post
    The Sega Master System.
    I used to play Altered Beast all the time. I used to play a baseball game on it a lot too.

Thread Information