vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    99.4%

Demons of Scheherazde

http://www.purezc.net/index.php?page=projects&id=345
    -------------------------------------------------------
    OVERVIEW

Demons of Scheherazade is a spiritual successor to the NES Classic, Magic of Scheherazade. However, in lieu of the random battles that marred that title, this game aims to improve upon the top-down combat and exploration system by borrowing mechanics from Secret of Mana and similar titles.

This game is intended to be a polar opposite to Zodiac: Story of the Guardian. Where Zodiac was huge, Demons aims to be intimate. Where Zodiac was lonely, Demons aims to be crowded. Where Zodiac was spamming beam weapons, Demons rewards precise and careful attacks. Most importantly, where Zodiac was based on collecting new items to power up the main character, Demons focuses on choices, rather than locating items.

The focus on choice is the fundamental narrative and mechanical structure of Demons. Rather than find equipment, you will find ingredients that can be combined to cast spells, including many that transform the player into new shapes with new abilities. You will not find a Bomb Bag anywhere; instead, you must mix a potion that will temporarily make you into a Ghost that can drop explosive charges. Everything you can gain is temporary.

Choices you make, however, are not. Strike out at an ally, and they will remember and act with hostility. Enemies can be overcome by sword or by cunning. The time-travel mechanic of Magic of Scheherazade allows the player to witness both the long and short term effects of choices. Will Moroon be ruled by the Demons, the pilgrims of Malat, or by Sabaron's minions? While this likely sounds like Undertale's mechanic, unlike that game, Demons aims to treat the idea of choice with more maturity. (That is, the characters you can interact with are not all mentally five years old.) Think of it more like a Grand Theft Auto installment, but one where you can play the game as a pacifist and reap unique rewards -- while you can be forced into acts of violence, there were always choices you could have made earlier that might have avoided the need to come to blows.

To control the size of the branching tree of possibilities, the game is divided into "Chapters" just as Magic of Scheherazade used. At the end of each chapter, your decisions will earn you an Arabian Class, which will determine how the next Chapter begins and how difficult it will be overall.

HOW TO PLAY

Download the game file, rather than just the .qst itself. You need the enhanced music at a minimum.

The controls should be self-explanatory (I learned from Zodiac), but in case they're not obvious, here is an overview. The top right of the screen shows you what your A,B,L and R buttons will do in any given situation. They may change depending on where you are and what you transform yourself into. The START button brings up your alchemy subscreen and allows you to mix ingredients. While you're mixing, the game is not paused - the enemies don't care if you want to take out your mixing table in the middle of a battle.

The A,B, and L buttons are usually used for abilities of your transformation. In normal state, for example, A is your Scimitar, B is your Rod, and you can hold L to run. The R button normally becomes active when you are next to something that you can look at, talk to, or otherwise interact with. In addition, you can use your abilities in different ways. Standing still and pushing A causes a low slash; moving forward and pressing A causes a high stabbing attack, for example.

You have three stats to keep track of. Health and Magic are what you think they are. Endurance is a measurement of how tired your character has become. Running, attacking, or taking damage reduces Endurance. It normally recharges quickly as long as you take a break, however. If you're exhausted -- or struck by a powerful enemy attack -- you may find yourself knocked out instead of just pushed back.

PROJECT STATUS

As of the opening of this Project, the Prologue chapter is complete. As you will see, the game mechanics are all in place and functioning. You can finish the Prologue in many different ways, and earn an Arabian Class from Saint, to Fighter, to Demon. You very likely won't see everything the Prologue has to offer on your first play through.

There are a few known issues with clipping while running in unusual situations, and getting chatty characters to shut up when you've decided to fight them instead. Nothing that should interfere with your playthrough under normal conditions.

I anticipate being able to complete new Chapters (1 - 6 in total) once every four or five months, and I will update my project page each time I do.

The Timelord
    QDB Manager
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    68.7%
    I look forward to this! While I had no objections to the random battles in the original game, but a more action-oriented rendition is more than welcome. I look forward to more details on your plans with this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    99.4%
    No need to wait. Go download the Prologue and check it out for yourself!

And... try not to accidentally stab your friends, okay?

I shall exalt myself over all Armagedddon Games bigjoe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    93.02%
    I played it but I couldn't tell friend from foe because everyone looked like a bizarre mutant. So I pretty much stabbed everything I came into contact with

Anyway, this is a very impressive piece of work. I imagine some ZC source kajiggering went into this? I'm glad that you're actually making the gameplay mechanics operate smoothly for this game. I couldn't get far through Zodiac because I didn't want to suffer the gameplay mechanics. This actually looks decent and well rounded in those terms, like a missing SNES game. I'll try to give diplomacy or friendship or whatever an approach next time I play.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    99.4%
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
    I played it but I couldn't tell friend from foe because everyone looked like a bizarre mutant. So I pretty much stabbed everything I came into contact with
    "I can't tell who I should kill. KILL EVERYONE."
    -BigJoe

Seems reasonable!

In all seriousness, some characters are hostile to start with, some are not, and then from there they will react to your actions. As the game goes on, these lines will blur further. At the end of each section (here just the Prologue) you get assigned a rank that will determine how the next chapter plays. You can kill everyone, or, if you REALLY want a challenge, kill no one. The game plays like a Kings Quest or similar puzzle-based game if you choose the latter route.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
    Anyway, this is a very impressive piece of work. I imagine some ZC source kajiggering went into this? I'm glad that you're actually making the gameplay mechanics operate smoothly for this game. I couldn't get far through Zodiac because I didn't want to suffer the gameplay mechanics. This actually looks decent and well rounded in those terms, like a missing SNES game. I'll try to give diplomacy or friendship or whatever an approach next time I play.
    Nope, there's not a bit of source tinkering. Everything you see is entirely ZScript. If you get the game file (you should) then you can open the script and see how it's all done.

Thread Information