54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    89.14%
    I will never rent again. I can do all repair and maintenance work myself so that isn't an issue. I'd imagine most of you could as well with a little help via google.
    Dropping all that cash to rent every month that is just gone is insane.
    I'd rather live somewhere, pay the same or less in a mortgage, and then sell for more than I bought it for when it's time to move.

Yard Work? How hard is it to ride around on a lawn tractor drinking beer?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    66.32%
    If I could use a lawn tractor or riding mower on my lawn, I definitely would. As it is, I've got a steep grade on one side that just wouldn't be safe...the rest isn't that bad. I don't really mind mowing.

House plans:

-New Siding
    -New roof on porch
    -Replace doors
    -Replace windows
    -Add closets in upstairs bedrooms
    -Paint rooms
    -Hardwood floors
    -Redo bathroom and kitchen
    -Replace gutters
    -Enclose back porch
    -till my steep hill and plant ivy
    -wood privacy fence
    -build a shed
    -add a vegetable garden

My house was built in 1928. It's been taken care of over the years. There isn't much wrong with the foundation or the structure. It's really solid. I don't have very much leakage in the basement, either, despite it being a basic brick basement. It's been updated fairly recently, but the people who did it used all the cheapest materials from Home Depot. I'm actually really good at landscaping and yardwork. My dad had me out in the yard all summer every summer growing up. I'm not too good with inside handywork, but I'm learning. All in all, I'm fairly happy with the fact that I own a home, but some days its just a chore.

house.JPG

It's bigger than it looks. It's pretty long. The yard and driveway are more overgrown and weedy than they were just because I haven't had time to take care of them. Once I'm done with school, I'll get my shit back together and make this stuff happen.
    Talga Vassternich -- Deserve Victory

--------------------------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube channel! I'm doing video game reviews and retrospectives from the NES/SNES eras.
    I also now have a webpage: www.braselthegamer.com
    Contributor for Gaming Rebellion! Columnist of the new series Breakdown!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.24%
    Achievements It's over 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by War Lord View Post
    How hard is it to ride around on a lawn tractor drinking beer?
    It's easy, but it takes time away from things that are important to me so it is unacceptable.

And houses are horribly expensive, even if you own them outright. Property taxes (which are very high in Texas), repairs, insurance, home-owners association fees... You are one cracked foundation, one broken roof, one exploded water heater away from a crazy bill.

And don't get me started on mortgages. Your payments are mostly interest for years, which is another word for rent. I will own a condo someday, but I will pay cash and it will have no yard.

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    42%
    I live in a 2-story duplex on the top floor. Its a nice place, about $500 a month with utilities included (excluding internet but our downstairs neighbor is so kind she lets us use her's for no charge, which I feel bad for sometiems and offer to help pay some of the bill, but she keeps saying "no, its fine") and is less than a 5 minute walk from where I work. While owning my own home would be nice, I wouldn't buy one unless I was finacially comfortable to do so. Or win the lottery and just buy my current abode from the landlord and let the kind neighbor staff if she wants (she's been good to me and my bro, why kick her to the curb?)
    My Quotes and other siggy stuff.
    *Bar-Buddies updates whenever-also can email comics upon request*
    MP:89
    Playing: Final Fantasy XIV

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    78.32%
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    If I could use a lawn tractor or riding mower on my lawn, I definitely would. As it is, I've got a steep grade on one side that just wouldn't be safe...the rest isn't that bad. I don't really mind mowing.
    The place looks nice. I don't know what you have in terms of property, but that front yard isn't worth the cost of a riding mower. My parents bought a new one a couple of years ago. It cost as much as my car did, about 6k. We have five acres to mow, plus part of the neighbors property to cut the fire risk. It's worth the cost for them, and doesn't take as much time as you might think.

I am also currently living with my parents, but I'm enjoying it. We have an awesome house. I have no intention of going back to a roommate situation, and don't want to pay the cost of an apartment on my own. I'd like to own my own place, but only if I have someone I can share it with permanently, and I don't see that happening anytime soon. I'm also good with inheriting my parents place, but would be worried about the cost of upkeep.
    <- Play Triforce Quest!

"The greatness of one's sorrow when parting is the evidence of the deepness of one's love. So If one fears sadness, one wouldn't be able to love anything."
    -Belldandy, Oh My Goddess!

"Who cares if I'm a star up here?" - Minmei, Robotech
    "You bookahs worry too much about external appearances. It's what's inside your skull that counts." - Taimi, Guild Wars 2

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    66.32%
    Thanks, man. The backyard is about twice that size, so not very big. The side of the property is like a freaking 50% grade or something crazy, so it's really hard to mow.

I think that with the amount of people on this earth, and the way the economy is these days, living with other people shouldn't be looked down upon. Parents, friends, whatever. My wife and I have toyed with the idea of getting together with another couple that we know and starting a small commune. It's a real hippy idea, but sharing the costs for one big house sounds really good sometimes.
    Talga Vassternich -- Deserve Victory

--------------------------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube channel! I'm doing video game reviews and retrospectives from the NES/SNES eras.
    I also now have a webpage: www.braselthegamer.com
    Contributor for Gaming Rebellion! Columnist of the new series Breakdown!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    54.35%
    I share ownership of my house with my brother, and there's a ton of work to be done in the next year or so. I don't mind mowing the lawn.

One thing that bothers me is that my great-grandmother, the previous owner of my house, had our back-yard pool filled with dirt, and planted trees in it...

Armageddon Task Manager

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    11.77%
    Quote Originally Posted by SpykStorm View Post
    I share ownership of my house with my brother, and there's a ton of work to be done in the next year or so. I don't mind mowing the lawn.

One thing that bothers me is that my great-grandmother, the previous owner of my house, had our back-yard pool filled with dirt, and planted trees in it...
    Dude, that sucks!

<SUCCESSOR> Its Shadowblazer's dark essence invading the forums

Thread Information