User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rebranding and legacy support ("2.6+")

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.69%
    Quote Originally Posted by jman2050 View Post
    On the bright side, a full DMCA would be just the excuse needed to fully rewrite the code!

I've always been of two minds regarding how to deal with the mess that is ZC's code, and even now looking at it I'm still unsure as to how it should proceed. A lot of future headaches would be averted if the entire thing were just refactored into something more extensible and less spaghetti-entrenched, but there would be a ton of current headaches if the goal was to maintain compatibility with all current quests, which is something I still want to do.

Part of me wants to just bite the bullet and do it anyway. I don't think it's a question of can it be done, it's just whether I or anyone else wants to go through the trouble. So basically the same song-and-dance that's been going on for years now
    I think it should be done too. Pour everything into 2.53 getting everything up to from 1.84 on working properly, then rewrite after that. There have been a lot of pesky things even in quest making that have popped up over the years and a soft reset might not be horrible for just stability alone.

I just ask if you change the system like that, you would write a 2.53 converter somehow into ZQuest 2.6+

-James

The Timelord
    QDB Manager
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    68.7%
    All of the repackaging will happen over time. My goals are as follows:

Remove all infringing material from the ZQuest and ZC programmes, and put that content into a data package 'module'.
    When ZQuest or ZC launch, the user can select a data module to use. The base module will be more generic stuff, but the user can shift to the Zelda package easily.

The sources should include a datapack that uses generic content, and ZC.com can continue to distribute the programme with the Z1 assets until such a time as there is a true issue with it.

The main issue is the hardcoded calls to zelda.dat, zquest.dat, all the internal sounds, hardcoded enemy names, and so forth. The enemy names, and class names, item names, and sounds should all be set by the datafile, as should the quest password names.

Add more modules as time marches on.

If the title of the programme is ever an issue, we could simply rename ZQuest and ZC to ZQuest Creator and ZQuest Player, respectively.

I have collected some sound and graphics assets. You can grab the sound assets here:
    http://timelord.insomnia247.nl/zc/zc_dev/Assets.zip

If anyone wants to volunteer time to either collect, or to create, assets for OpenZC, then I am happy to work with you. One tileset creator is working on new assets for us in that direction, but we could certainly benefit from more in the art department. Finding free sounds that all work happily together is a chore. One member volunteered to make new music for us, but I have yet to see anything come from that, and it has been nearly a year.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.69%
    @ZoriaRPG , contact @bigjoe if you want to talk some NSF stuff.

-James

Thread Information