User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Zelda classic source code- Please read.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.67%
    Quote Originally Posted by _Mitch View Post
    That's why I said someone would probably reverse engineer it, simply because it has less code and would be easier to do.
    Yeah, but voiding or disregarding the passwords would be disregarding the user that created the quest some might say.

Are you saying all it takes is overwriting a few bytes in the quest file to open a passworded quest?
    If so, that's kinda sad, and poor design- and that is only 5 bytes! But why is it different in the windows and linux version?

By posting those 5 bytes, could anyone with basic knowledge on file comparison and a hex editor could search for that string in a non-passworded quest,
    overwriting it at the same location in a passworded quest- likely opening it right up (assuming the offsets are the same)?
    It sounds like there was not much security to begin with really.
    Yeah, and I'm not saying we should just disregard the wishes of users who have
    chosen to protect their quests.

Rather, I'm saying that, with this being as simple as it is, there really doesn't seem to
    be a whole lot of interest in reversing ZC to accomplish this, so I don't see why this
    would change with an open-source release bundled with an optional library for the
    encryption/password functions. Or a program to simply update/remove passwords
    so that quests could be opened in the open source release, as Tamamo suggested.

No, not the quest files, but ZQuest's executable itself. The quest editor.
    It's different because there are differences between the Windows and Linux builds.
    No, you can't use these bytes to find out where to apply the patch as these
    are only the new instructions; none of the original bytes are there.

Gel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    54.84%
    OH, I see what you mean. You could just modify ZQ to ignore passwords- good point. I really wasn't thinking of that.

Well, I agree, it's probably fine. Still, I think at this point no matter what choice is made it will probably have some saying I'd have rathered it this way, or that.
    Regardless I'm sure the knowledgable staff will make the right decision. I personally approve of the idea of invoking a DLL, or, even better, using a static link library.

Octorok
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    5.02%
    A little note regarding the source release, if/when it happens:
    When I was developing DXGL to be compatible with ZC, I compiled the version of Allegro so I could trace the Allegro runtime source to find out what was breaking. I found out that there was actually some patch required to make it work, and I found it floating somewhere on the Internet but don't remember where I found it. Do you plan on releasing that little Allegro patch too?

The Timelord
    QDB Manager
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    68.7%
    Quote Originally Posted by BFeely View Post
    A little note regarding the source release, if/when it happens:
    When I was developing DXGL to be compatible with ZC, I compiled the version of Allegro so I could trace the Allegro runtime source to find out what was breaking. I found out that there was actually some patch required to make it work, and I found it floating somewhere on the Internet but don't remember where I found it. Do you plan on releasing that little Allegro patch too?
    Hello Bill!

What did you do with DirectDraw that specifically relates to ZC?

Further, did you want that patch released? I'm not sure how to read your question: If you need the code again, if you want it distributed with ZC sources, or if you want it maintained separately.

Octorok
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    5.02%
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoriaRPG View Post
    Hello Bill!

What did you do with DirectDraw that specifically relates to ZC?

Further, did you want that patch released? I'm not sure how to read your question: If you need the code again, if you want it distributed with ZC sources, or if you want it maintained separately.
    What I did was get my DirectDraw emulator DXGL compatible with the version of Allegro that ZC uses.
    When I compiled that specific version of Allegro from its official source code and copied it to the ZC directory it was missing a certain entry point. When I Googled that particular entry point (I don't remember what it was) I found a little code patch for Allegro to add it.

Thread Information