Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    89.95%

READ ME: The brand-new Zelda Classic FAQs thread

Much of this thread was compiled from information gathered from Ebola Zaire's The Big Fat Zelda Classic Assistance Thread and Deviance's Zelda Classic FAQS (Noobs Click In). My props to them. There's also an official FAQ on ZeldaClassic.com which you may want to read.

Feel free to post in this thread if you have anything you'd like to add to it!

And now for the number 1 question being asked. Pardon the red massiveness that is the question title.

Help! I want to play quests, but I don't know how to get them to load!
    1. Open Zelda Classic. (zelda-w.exe, or use zlaunch-w.exe to load it)
    2. Press ENTER to get past the Armageddon Games logo.
    3. Press ENTER to get past the Zelda Classic title screen.
    4. Choose "Register your name", type any name you'd like, and press enter.
      (Enter "ZELDA" here to skip to the Legend of Zelda 2nd quest, "ALPHA" to skip to AGN's Official Third Quest, or "GANON" to skip to AGN's Official Fourth Quest.)
    5. If you'd like to play any of the official quests, simply press enter with your save file selected now. If you didn't enter any of the names above, you'll be taken to the original Legend of Zelda first quest.
      (If you'd like to load a custom quest, skip this step and go to step 6.)
    6. Press ALT on your save file.
      (Note that when the program asks you to hit "A", it's actually asking you to hit the key you have mapped to the A button. "A" is usually mapped to ALT by default -- you may change your key bindings by hitting ESC, then choosing Settings -> Controls from the menu.)
    7. Press ALT again, then click "Browse" in the pop-up. Browse to the quest you want to play using the File Select dialog and double click it.
    8. You'll be given a brief pop-up with the quest title and author. If it's the quest you want to play, hit OK.
    9. Now hit ENTER and you're ready to play!

What are the currently available versions of ZC?
    The current version of ZC is 2.5. Available for Windows, Linux, and OSX.
    There are other versions of ZC available at the Downloads Page but 2.5 is the recommended version for all quest files.

When is the next ZC version coming out?
    With 2.5 being the latest (as of 2013) version that has been released to the public that isn't an outright Release Candidate for testing, the next "version" of any particular variety is likely well off. 2.5 will suffice for now.

I found a bug with the latest beta version of ZC! What do I do?
    Post a thread about it in the Bug Tracker.

Help! I'm trying to play a quest I had previously loaded, but now Zelda Classic can't find it! -OR- I'm trying to load an official quest, but it says 1st/2nd/3rd/4th.qst not found!
    It's possible that your quest directory is set to the wrong location. To change the quest directory, open the menu by hitting ESC then go to Misc -> Quest Directory... and locate the directory with the quest you want to play, then hit "OK".

Help! I'm a Windows Vista user, and I'm having trouble getting ZC to load!
    Your surest bet is to use 2.50 -- 2.10 is known to be difficult to get working with Windows Vista out of the box. If you still want to try running 2.10 and earlier in Vista, try one of these two solutions:
    • Right-click the file and select "Run as Administrator."
    • Use ZC Launcher to open Zelda Classic or ZQuest.

If that doesn't work, then you may want to try this courtesy of Rydia:
    Ok, well, I've been trying to get 2.10 to open on my Vista PC, but to no avail, I was not able to. I've been trying for over 6 months. So, I went on a hunt to find out how to get it to run. Well, I had stumbled onto something called Virtual PC 2007 from Microsoft to allow me to install another OS inside of Vista as a program you can run. (It totally kicks ass seeing XP boot up in a window) So, I did that, and the computer would still do the triple flash thing, and crashed... Total SUCKAGE. So, I found another program like that called Parallels Workstation 2.2, and once again, installed it, and install XP as a program. Once again, it did the triple flash deal, then crashed... So finally I've been going around searching forums all over the interweb, and came across one. I did what one guy had said to do in the quote.
    Quote Originally Posted by John.Wilkinson @ forums.cnet.com
    -> Close the box that pops up, open (My) Computer, right-click the optical drive icon, choose Explore (not Open), browse for the installer, wherever it may be located on the disc, right-click it, choose the Compatibility tab, set it for Windows XP, OK your way out, and launch the installer. Note you'll also have to enable compatibility mode in C:\Program Files for the program once it's installed.

-> That's a never-ending argument with both camps having legitimate reasoning and evidence to back up their claims. In truth it's not that big of deal and I generally just use Sleep Mode to minimize power usage while reducing boot time the next morning.

-> The Cnet forums do not support post editing due to misuse, which is why you could not find the option.

Hope this helps,
    John
    CNet Forums Compatibility Topic.
    So I right click the folder containing ZC and ZQ 2.10, and went "Explore" and right clicked both programs and set the compatibility to Windows XP SP2, and clicked the "Run as Admin" Checkbox. (Without the "Run as Admin," you can't load or save quests...) So, I went to load ZC, and the Admin approval thing came up, and I clicked "Approve," and it loaded ZC, and allowed me to load a quest, and play it. So, I played for about 10 minutes to check it out, and it runs like a charm. I then closed ZC, and tried ZQ, again coming up with the Admin Approval, and I clicked "Approve," thus opening ZQ in windowed mode, but went to "Etc" and down to Fullscreen. (You can leave it as windowed if that's your preference.) But I did a test quest, and it worked 100%. So if you Vista-goers have any problems before try this, and post your outcome here so I know if it's just luck on my part, or if it's a fix to all Vista users.Good luck.

(I also tried this with ZC/ZQ 1.92B183/184. Well, my outcome with that isn't exactly what I had wanted. It worked for ZC, but ZQ still doesn't want to load quests or save them. I kinda wished ZQ worked rather then ZC, because I am building my quest in Beta 183.)
    Where can I get custom quests to play?
    There are two major quest databases you can download custom quests from:

In addition, check out our very own Quest Announcement/Discussion forum and PureZC's Quest Projects and Custom Quest Discussion for updates on quests in the making and demoes! PureZC also hosts a semi-annual Expo which features information and demos of quests in the making, so keep your eyes peeled for those too!

I need help with the ZQuest editor!
    You can get help with the ZQuest editor in our ZC Quest Editor Help forum. Check the sticky threads before posting a thread for links to tutorials and other resources -- you may find that your question's already been answered!

Does Nintendo know about this project?
    From a previous FAQ thread:
    Nintendo officially does not care about fan projects, as long as they are not for profit. ZC has been around for years and there are probably plenty of people telling them about it all the time, especially after being recognized on TechTV's The ScreenSavers and EGM magazine.
    You may have heard about Nintendo "shutting down" fan projects in the past... These were lies perpetrated by disgruntled schemers and cowardly hosts hoping to avoid trouble. Unfortunately, these two root causes seem to perpetuate eachother and as a result, it can get pretty aggravating.
    The fact of the matter is that Nintendo only uses real, actual mail to deliver cease-and-desist orders. So if you see or get a threatening message in any other format, don't believe it. Nintendo has no interest in suing you for being a fan.
    A note about passwords:
    If you are making a custom quest, particularly in versions before 2.50 (but also in the latest versions), do not use a password for the quest that you use for other things! It is very easy for third parties to obtain quest passwords from 2.10 and before. Although no exploits to retrieve passwords from 2.50 are currently known, it's still better to be on the safe side and use a unique password.
    Last edited by Rambly; 05-13-2014 at 02:25 PM. Reason: fixed some broken links

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.7%
    Update for anyone who doesn't visit ZeldaClassic.com: The newest version is now 2.5 RC5 and the next and full release version is scheduled to be released by the end of the year.

Also I suggest checking out Zelda Classic Manager.

Armageddon Task Manager

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    11.77%
    Quote Originally Posted by SUCCESSOR View Post
    Update for anyone who doesn't visit ZeldaClassic.com: The newest version is now 2.5 RC5 and the next and full release version is scheduled to be released by the end of the year.

Also I suggest checking out Zelda Classic Manager.
    Why didn't you just edit the thread with the appropriate changes, super mod? :-p

<SUCCESSOR> Its Shadowblazer's dark essence invading the forums

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.7%
    I thought about it but laziness, sleepiness, and uncertainty won over. Is @Rambly 's lazy ass not here anymore?

Armageddon Task Manager

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    11.77%
    Quote Originally Posted by SUCCESSOR View Post
    I thought about it but laziness, sleepiness, and uncertainty won over. Is @Rambly 's lazy ass not here anymore?
    He's here, but he resigned from staff and ZC in general, I believe to spend more time with his girlfriend or something. So he probably won't be updating it any time soon.

<SUCCESSOR> Its Shadowblazer's dark essence invading the forums

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.7%
    Ah, that guy. AGN is more important than loved ones. I'll edit that crap in later. I am going back to bed.
    Last edited by ctrl-alt-delete; 11-14-2012 at 09:12 AM.

Octorok
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    5%
    All of the purezc.com links in this thread are broken.

Gel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    22.69%
    Hello, I'm new to ZC. I'm trying to get play with my USB NES and SNES controllers, but it doesn't seem to be recognizing them. When I'm prompted to register a button, it doesn't seem to have any effect.

Thread Information