Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    92.51%

Got a somewhat new computer!

Well I just got a somewhat new Laptop the other day. I was at a yard sale and I seen a nice Toshiba Laptop sitting in a garbage can...(Yes I looked at the garbage can >.<)
    But anyways I asked the guy what was wrong with it. he said that he was tired of it and the hard drive died and he just bought a new one.
    So I asked him. What would you want for it? he come back and said you can have it for five bucks. so I jumped all over that.

Well I got it home, and I was quite happy that the screen was not scratched at all everything seems in tact. except the hard drive. I didn't have any SATA hard drives to use though...
    So what I did is go to a local resale place and bought a 120GB xbox360 hard drive and I tore it apart and swiped the SATA drive out of it. it only cost me $30 so its not much to spend on a HD.

After that I stuck it in the laptop and and Installed Windows 7 Home premium. Managed to get another product key

And now I have me a somewhat new lappy!

The specs are not much though.

CPU
    Intel Celeron M 1.60 GHz

RAM
    768 MBs I'm going to upgrade this next week I hope :)

VIDEO
    ATI radeon Xpress 150 MBs

SOUND
    Realtek HD audio

HARD DRIVE
    120Gbs 5400RPM hitachi

^
    Looks better then my old laptop. It can run windows 7 fantastic right now :)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    55.17%
    That's awesome for a $5 computer. Seriously, you can't beat a deal like that!

768 MBs I'm going to upgrade this next week I hope :)
    Some more ram should be pretty cheap assuming you can find some that compatible.

Gibdo
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    92.51%
    Yeah I know its quite cool, I wish I could'v got my tower the same way... Oh well.

Next week I'm going to order me a 1GB stick of ram for now. with one 512 and one 1GB that'll be enough for windows 7 to run quit good.
    The ram is not going to be too much. its going to cost me 20 dollars for some Kingston Ram.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    66.6%
    I was suprised to see how cheap RAM is these days. I've been looking into building a new rig, and I haven't really looked into hardware in a few years. Some IT guy, huh?

I've got so much computer crap laying around my house. I have three broken laptops that I've been meaning to fix, and I just haven't gotten to yet. I also have several desktops that I need to turn into a recycling center, a Cisco router, and all sorts of hard drives, cables, and other crap. Cheap and free stuff is great.
    Talga Vassternich -- Deserve Victory

--------------------------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube channel! I'm doing video game reviews and retrospectives from the NES/SNES eras.
    I also now have a webpage: www.braselthegamer.com
    Contributor for Gaming Rebellion! Columnist of the new series Breakdown!

Gibdo
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    92.51%
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    I was suprised to see how cheap RAM is these days. I've been looking into building a new rig, and I haven't really looked into hardware in a few years. Some IT guy, huh?.
    Yeah well the new RAM is quite cheap. in terms of (DDR2 and DDR3) I had to buy some ram for my desktop not long ago and it cost me about $40 to get some DDR. (Which is quite an old RAM model).
    I wonder why DDR is so freaking expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    I've got so much computer crap laying around my house. I have three broken laptops that I've been meaning to fix, and I just haven't gotten to yet. I also have several desktops that I need to turn into a recycling center, a Cisco router, and all sorts of hard drives, cables, and other crap. Cheap and free stuff is great.
    Me to man. I have like two giant Box's of mother boards and all sort of random Computers parts. Maybe to much. but I like having them for in case I want to do something with them.

And I also have three Tower's sitting in my closet and they all work. (I really need to do something with them <.<)
    The only Part I wish I had more of is Hard drives. Man finding hard drives now a days is quite hard. since some people around I live now started taking hard drive out old computers are throwing away.
    But most of the crap I got has been quite free. Mostly find all the stuff I have at yard sales.
    Like my Tower parts. I bought a box of random computers parts, for $10. And in that box was all the parts to build a Computer.. Which I using now as my personal Desktop.

Gibdo
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    92.51%
    Well I'm going to get my Ram I ordered tomorrow. I went ahead and got me some Cosair Ram. it was a bit more the the ram I was going to get. but it comes with a lifetime warranty :3
    And an Update on whole thing. I killed of windows 7 then put Windows vista on it then killed it then put an XP on it. and everything is working great on it so far.

This is a major upgrade from my last laptop.

But with that 1 GB of ram. Windows XP will fantastic on the new laptop.

And one more awesome thing that guy I bought the system from stop by my house the other day and gave me all the recovery disk and a Windows Vista Disk with a product key O_O.
    He said that I can have the rest of the stuff that went with it... Amazing. I can't believe how lucky I've been.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    9.11%
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventus View Post
    I killed of windows 7 then put Windows vista on it then killed it then put an XP on it.
    Depending upon what you plan on doing with the laptop you might considering installing a distribution of Linux like Lubuntu or Xubuntu. You could definitely get some more performance out of that hardware. Obviously if there are requirements for Windows, then Linux may not be an option.

Gibdo
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    92.51%
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Man View Post
    Depending upon what you plan on doing with the laptop you might considering installing a distribution of Linux like Lubuntu or Xubuntu. You could definitely get some more performance out of that hardware. Obviously if there are requirements for Windows, then Linux may not be an option.
    I was really thinking about putting a Linux OS on it. I really was. The first thought would be Lubuntu for the light wighted ness of it.
    But I ultimately decided XP for many reasons. I need things to work just right. and I don't really want to have to take a lot of time to get set up.
    Linux Is a pain to get set up to ones liking. I know I have a second hard drive on my main desktop that has a "Remade" Linux mint 12 on it. (I made it its really easy)
    So far it has taken me about a year to get it working just right.. I know on the laptop it'd work. But I just need my laptop to browse the internet and download crap.
    So the OS is not that important to me.

Thread Information