Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    68.7%
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkDragon View Post
    Ok. So if I understand correctly, the problem is that palette changes that happen while ZC is in the background do not take effect until ZC regains focus?
    From what I saw, and his description, when he paused the game by clicking the window (i.e. clicktofreeze), it shifted the palette, and it reverted to normal when he clicked it to resume. This is what Im getting from this, but it does not happen to me.

IDK if it is also doing it when he merely shifts to another window??? He mentioned something about a dual-display, which pretty much says 'higher end video card'. I;ve no idea what GPU he has, but I believe he is using Win10.

I'm thinking that offering a doubleblit video mode, available as a menu option, whether in full screen, or windowed mode, might be our best solution for this. 'Doubleblit: Offers greater compatibility on newer OSes, but may be slower.'

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    8.16%
    I agree, and will add this when I get some free time. The idea would be to use the native desktop color depth and color-convert when rendering every frame.

The Timelord
    QDB Manager
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    68.7%
    I agree, and will add this when I get some free time. The idea would be to use the native desktop color depth and color-convert when rendering every frame.
    Right. I would just make it menu toggle of some sort, so that it's up to the user to enable or disable. Hell, we can enable it by default, and if it slows the system, then the user can try disabling it... although we'll need to test both performance issues, and any new drawing issues that it might present.

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    8.16%
    I can confirm the palette issue. When ZC is in the background, the screen no longer repaints (the desired behavior) but palette changes still occur; this means that whatever is frozen on the screen will look funky when the palette for a different part of the opening sequence gets loaded in.

Clearing the screen to black on losing focus doesn't even fix the problem, since black on some palettes looks hot pink in others.

The fix would be to dig into where Allegro handles set_palette() and change the behavior so that it stashes palette changes and applies them the next the window regains focus, rather than immediately. But I'm not extremely motivated to do this... I think I'll declare this bug low priority for now. If you like, you can post it as a github issue, and I will take a look at it on the mythical Someday.

The ability to run ZC at native color depth (at a performance cost) is still on my short list, though (which will also fix this palette issue, for those using the option).

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    8.16%
    I believe I have caught up with the feedback in this thread:
    - I've added a "native color depth" option in the video mode selection menu. Selecting it uses the desktop's native color depth, and converts ZC's buffer to this depth every frame. This carries a performance cost, so you can turn off native mode on older computers, but hopefully this resolves some of the driver issues you all are experiencing on modern OSes with 8-bit mode. I've reinstated the "-0bit" and "-8bit" command line flags to toggle this behavior.
    - I've added 960x720 resolution to the menu, by popular demand. It uses "small" mode GUI layout since the large mode is aliased at this resolution.
    - I've added a warning message if you try to switch to a resolution larger than your monitor supports.

The Timelord
    QDB Manager
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    68.7%
    I believe I have caught up with the feedback in this thread:
    - I've added a "native color depth" option in the video mode selection menu. Selecting it uses the desktop's native color depth, and converts ZC's buffer to this depth every frame. This carries a performance cost, so you can turn off native mode on older computers, but hopefully this resolves some of the driver issues you all are experiencing on modern OSes with 8-bit mode. I've reinstated the "-0bit" and "-8bit" command line flags to toggle this behavior.
    - I've added 960x720 resolution to the menu, by popular demand. It uses "small" mode GUI layout since the large mode is aliased at this resolution.
    - I've added a warning message if you try to switch to a resolution larger than your monitor supports.
    Nice. I'll do a build, and report any issues that I encounter with the new modes. Branch DD/alleg44, right?

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    8.16%
    Right.

The Timelord
    QDB Manager
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    68.7%
    Any chance you would make 'Release' the default, instead of "Debug', so that it isn't mandatory to set this every time? The linker crashes on debug need to be resolved, but in the interim...

One other suggestion: How about making the build date something that is read from system time, so that the ZC and ZQ info panes do not need to be manually updated in zdefs.h?

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    8.16%
    Any chance you would make 'Release' the default, instead of "Debug', so that it isn't mandatory to set this every time? The linker crashes on debug need to be resolved, but in the interim...
    You should be able to just recompile within MSVC, after you pull? Does pulling from the repository reset the build configuration for you?

One other suggestion: How about making the build date something that is read from system time, so that the ZC and ZQ info panes do not need to be manually updated in zdefs.h?
    I can look into this. The build number would still need to be incremented manually, though, so is there much benefit?

The Timelord
    QDB Manager
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    68.7%
    I found an issue with the GUI dialogue changes:

When loading a quest in ZQuest, if you change the path from whatever the default is, the lister does not update, and the lister contents become drawn at an offset.

After clicking in the lister selection again, it updates.

Specifics:

Bring up the load quest dialogue in ZQuest.
    Click in the path bar, and change the path.
    The lister will not refresh, and lister contents will be displayed at 0x0.
    Click inside the lister, where the files are displayed normally.
    The lister then refreshes.
    The graphical issue does not vanish.
    Changing the path again, repeats the problem. (It does not 'go away' after one occurrence.)

Tested in 320x240 and 640x480, using 'Truecolour', on Win7.

Thread Information