User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you plan on making a 5th entry?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 58.82%
  • No

7 41.18%
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Fifth Quest Planning and Discussion

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    76.31%
    Quote Originally Posted by CJC View Post
    I'll have you know I did not break a single rule in the contest! My palettes, scripts, and tiles are all presented in the Z1 style. The only thing that's wonky is my dungeon floors.

But I follow you. I'm doing some spriting in passing towards a pseud0-cl4ssic tileset (flat colors, but more of them) that I'll debut with this quest as the seed. I actually feel most of the classic overworld and dungeon tiles are really good... the overall presentation suffers do to the undeatailed nature of the moving components (admittedly a shortcoming of the system that bore the original game).

Anyway, more people have to play and reject my quest before it can be disqualified! I've made a minor palette correction (for the save icon, it was inconsistent) and some small tweaks to make Level 2 less of a murderbox (there are now three entrances to both the bow and arrow item rooms, the last being blatantly obvious if you somehow get past the Pols without it) and I will supply an updated file when I get a chance.
    Hold up just a second. I decided to have a meeting with Gleeok over certain things, he will announce them soon. Get in chat if you can.

-James

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nightmarejames YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/nightmarejames

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:
    Completed: Zelda NES Remastered, Demo 1st Quest, Demo 2nd Quest, James Quest: Remastered (V 2.1), Memorial Quest, New Quest 2 2015. New Quest: Rebuilt
    In development: Demo SP, James Quest: Remastered (V 3.0)t, 6QI

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.57%
    I still think I didn't break any rules as I was very careful with all of the wordings. However, the one part of the rules of: "Rules can change based on Judges." This is where I feel the judges will say I found work arounds. But I still think I stuck to it.

Either way, I am happy I made a good game and I hope people enjoy it. It is not Hero of Dreams, but with the limitations, I think it is awesome.

The Artist Once Known As Old-Skool QDB Manager
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.5%
    Well it seems that Gleeok wants a quest that looks very much like it would appear in the original game if you beat it four times previously. I don't even understand for sure what it is he wants though. I generally try to keep out of all this and have little interest.

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.17%
    The rules are simply a more lenient and up-to-date version of the 4th quest rules taking into account all the newer features of 2.5 (which [the 4th rules] were an up-to-date ruleset of the 3rd contest -- which was based on the 2nd quest etc.). The current rules and ZC features still allow for an unprecedented amount of creativity and customization over the 3rd quest rules, for example. I certainly don't have a predisposed idea of an archetypal 5th that quests must conform to or face the consequences. Don't assume that @King Aquamentus .

Sorry, I've been either out-of-town or busy the last 3 weeks so I haven't been to very active during that time... Anyway, as it stands now there's a few issues with some entries (I haven't had time to go through all of them yet, sorry) which need to be fixed:
    CJC: Overworld contains additional maze paths.
    Shoelace: Dungeon screens were required to have 4 walls and not be freeform.
    Pete&Wally: Custom Overworld issue (displaced and modified screens).
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    52.03%
    Edit: Ninjad

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.57%
    Shoelace: Dungeon screens were required to have 4 walls and not be freeform.
    I did follow that rule.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    76.31%
    Gleeok, it wasn't a freeform thing, Shoelace had a lot of custom tiles (around the tune of a good 25-50%).

Sorry for not being clear enough.

-James

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nightmarejames YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/nightmarejames

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:
    Completed: Zelda NES Remastered, Demo 1st Quest, Demo 2nd Quest, James Quest: Remastered (V 2.1), Memorial Quest, New Quest 2 2015. New Quest: Rebuilt
    In development: Demo SP, James Quest: Remastered (V 3.0)t, 6QI

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.17%
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoelace View Post
    I did follow that rule.

This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    64.98%
    Well... technically if you can't swim you've basically got four walls. Whether or not it's freeform depends on how 'freeform' is interpreted, though I'd guess that most would call that freeform.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.57%
    I didn't think that would be freeform. Well that is an easy fix. If that is all in my game that is wrong I can fix that in a half hour. Just let me know.

About custom tiles. I really only made like a couple but kept it true to nes. That would be like less than 1% custom.

Again if it minor things like the water thing that is fixable, then that's no problem. But if my combo cycling is too much and such then I will have to eat it. But I can't see using layers as a problem because of the quest rules that were allowed. :)

Thread Information