Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    31.43%

No "save state" cheat?

Is there really no "save state" option for Zelda classic? Has no 3rd party created a this hack/cheat? Some of the more insanely difficult quests really need a "save state" option.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    83.54%
    I did write a debugger script that can alter almost any of the data in the whole game, including any variables used for triggering events and whatnot, with some minor alterations of the scripting, (if the users did in fact use ZScript and not ZasM or string modifiers. I have no idea if any of the other developers actually chose to use or implement any of the stuff the debugger does though.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.97%
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunkfish View Post
    Is there really no "save state" option for Zelda classic? Has no 3rd party created a this hack/cheat? Some of the more insanely difficult quests really need a "save state" option.
    If such a feature was implemented it would be up to the quest designer to activate it. The quest maker has the option to script a save state like feature or set up continues work in a similar way. Chances are they chose to design their quest to be that difficult and as frustrating as it can be you have to press on. Or play another quest, there are plenty out there.

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.12%
    Save states in emulators are easier to do since the hardware is 'emulated' ie, RAM. Save states in PC apps not so much. It requires every game state,object, script, etc, be able to be written to disk and then loaded back again in a deterministic way - not as easy, so the general consensus is it's not worth it.
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    21.92%
    There's no real need for save states (even though I love them on emulators). If it was a quest like Liberation of Hyrule, I could understand your frustration but it's better of just quitting and player a easier and fairer quest.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    83.54%
    That's why my debug menus can set Link at any X,Y, any DMap to any screen, give any item, and a variety of other functions. With only slight modification any bools, ints, and floats could all also be fit to the debug menus. Like Gleeok says though, it would be up to the other quest designers to implement such a thing in their own quests, and I'm more than likely going to disable the feature in my final quest, or make it only available upon completion, or some other very elusive side-questing. It's more of a debugging tool for beta testing and game making than it would be for playing, although skipping to a certain boss with some set amount of HP/MP and items might be fun also.

Thread Information