User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 8-Bit NES New 3rd Quest - Ready for Download!

Gel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    7.05%

8-Bit NES New 3rd Quest - Ready for Download!

Hi Forum,

I'd like to announce my first quest submission entitled "8-Bit NES New 3rd Quest." It was a quest I had initially given to my brother as a birthday present, but it is now ready to be shared with the ZC faithful.

I grew up in the 80s, and like most people on this site, I thought The Legend of Zelda was the greatest game ever made. This submission is my paid homage to the game. I've kept the entire overworld unchanged, but all dungeons and secrets have been re-hidden throughout Hyrule. The submission is to be viewed as another alternate "or 3rd-style" quest.

The game is designed for the experienced Zelda player, and it is my hope that you find the game challenging and enjoyable. I stayed just about as true to the original game as possible. In the words of my brother, "Level 9 was incredible!"

If I've done my job, my hope is that you'll feel like you're back in 1987 all over again, enjoying the original NES all over again!!

Feel free to reach out with comments, feedback, or general questions as you play. For those of you who end up beating the game, please send me a message and share what you thought was good, bad, awful, or amazing! I'm already working on another quest, and I'd love to incorporate your feedback.

All the best, and remember, "It's Dangerous to Go Alone!" My sincere thanks to the mods for maintaining this site and facilitating the publishing of my quest!

Mike
    ~suncactus9

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    41.63%
    1) Your quest currently requires players to somehow, out of the blue, gain ridiculous amounts of money before each dungeon. I would imagine many players would like to enter level 1 right away once found, but currently they cannot as they would need to grind 160 rupees (technically, 120, but it's unrealistic to expect everyone to find the blue ring store right away) in order to complete the dungeon. The death blow for me was the 75 leave money or life guy after having to grind for a key to enter level 3 (If there's another key in level 1 or 2, It's too well hidden as I've explored every room thoroughly in both dungeons). And before you say "find the 5 100 rupee rewards," a) half of the secrets I found were door repair guys and b) tree->stairs hunting with the blue candle is extremely tedious. This is the biggest balance issue I see in this quest. Everything else is minor.

2) In the NES game, you can't see anything in the center of the dark rooms. In your quest, you can still see the floor (which kind of defeats the purpose of the room being dark). The floor should be the same Cset as the blocks/water, although I don't know if you designed it that way intentionally or not.

3)
    Spoiler: show
    It took me 3-4 hours before I realized I should be looking for another quest item in level 2 instead of looking for level 3. No one is going to think of trying to push one block onto another block, which is how you hid the raft. It's ok if it's an optional secret or maybe a secret near the end of the game, but this one was in level 2 and required to progress which is kind of ridiculous.

I wanted to save my feedback for later, but as it is, I don't know if I'll be able to get much farther into the quest.

To other readers:
    Don't let my post discourage you from at least trying the quest. The rupee issue is the only major issue I've seen. The combat difficulty curve is perfect so far.

Gel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    7.05%
    Thanks for your post. I will send you a PM tomorrow and share some of my rationale, which I'd prefer not to be openly displayed in this thread. Since one of my goals was to have this be both a challenging and enjoyable game, I placed a bit of emphasis on making the game "last" a bit. The first message from Abei in Dungeon #1 attempts to reinforce that goal. Hawking down coins can be burdensome in the short run, but there aren't that many door repairs...I put less in there than the original NES first quest. Unfortunately, just a string of bad luck in the outset!

Hang in there - I hope you'll be receptive to my message tomorrow! I'll shoot you a PM - I do appreciate you posting to the thread!

Octorok
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    22.64%
    Unless I'm making a mistake, it seems that the download link is down. Assuming it gets updated/fixed, I'll likely give this quest a shot sometime this week. Looking forward to this.

Gel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    7.05%
    Hmmm - you are right, the link is down for some reason. (???)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    41.63%
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboylink View Post
    Unless I'm making a mistake, it seems that the download link is down. Assuming it gets updated/fixed, I'll likely give this quest a shot sometime this week. Looking forward to this.
    I saw that, too, but from the looks of it, it's just a temporary issue. In the meantime, look at the third to last line on that page for the URL (it's after where it says "A href="); copy and paste it into your browser. That should lead you to the download.

Probably not your fault about the game. It was mainly a case of buying the wrong item before a level and then realizing I made a wrong purchase (shield before level 2 and blue ring before level 3). Also, it's not like I wasn't finding any secrets (I'm already at 9 hearts and found both swords, the power bracelet, and the letter). But, yeah, you're right, I'm probably just getting unlucky, since all I've been finding are the aforementioned, shops, potion shops, and door repair guys.

I thought your monologue in the quest was hilarious, btw. One note, though. On the first "your money or your life" guy, I thought the game locked up. You might want to include a prompt.

EDIT:
    Scratch what I said about level 3. Didn't realize the guy wasn't actually blocking anything. :facepalm:
    Last edited by CaRmAgE; 07-14-2014 at 11:15 AM.

Octorok
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    22.64%
    Thanks for the help Carmage, quest is working for me now.

Just finished level 2; I like what I see so far.

Question about the item in level 3:
    I assume the whistle is in here somewhere, but I am stumped. I've pushed every block & stone statue, bombed off-wall maps, tried walking through all walls. Any suggestions?

Note that it's possible to get stuck in the 2 digdogger rooms; without the whistle you're forced to save+quit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    41.63%
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboylink View Post
    Question about the item in level 3:
    I assume the whistle is in here somewhere, but I am stumped. I've pushed every block & stone statue, bombed off-wall maps, tried walking through all walls. Any suggestions?
    Only view if you are REALLY stuck; it's not a big level.
    From the start, head north, then bomb the west wall.

Finished the game last night, so time for some stats:
    Completion Time: 6 hours, 9 minutes (note that this is in-game time; actual time spent is probably 3 hours longer due to wasted time looking for level 3)
    0 deaths
    Level discovery order: 2,1,6,3,4,9,5,7,8 (I feel ashamed for finding level 8 so late)
    16 HCs
    Magic Sword
    Red Ring
    Max Bombs:

Letter (Potion uses: 1; would've been 0, but I wimped out during Ganon fight)
    Magic Boomerang
    Red Candle
    Wand + Book
    Magic Key
    All maps & compasses
    Caves found:
    68 (4/5 100s) <- Refering to caves/stairs in total, not just secret caves
    Places I didn't search:
    back wall of the graveyard,
    the remainder of the river wall,
    trees that can't be reached with the candle, but can be burned with wand fire (I'd imagine this is why I'm missing a 100)

Bugs I found (to other readers: these are all minor and not game-breaking):
    1. For most levels, saving and quitting returned me to the dungeon entrance upon restart. For level 7 and beyond, though, I was taken to the beginning of the overworld. Not sure which behavior was intentional.
    2. At the beginning of the 8 in level 6, there's a locked door that can be circumvented. That's not the bug, though. The bug is that the door is open on the other side. Normally, it is standard practice when creating a locked door to lock both sides, even if the door can't be circumvented.
    3. In level 9, there are two cave rooms. The second one, where the cave is in the middle of the room, does not have its under combo set. As a result, any armos touched leaves a gray square behind.

Gel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    7.05%
    Thanks for the game review, Carnage - if you don't mind, I've sent you a PM with just a few questions. Appreciate your comments in this thread, and glad you finished off the quest!

Gel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    35.79%
    Hey man, cool quest so far. I've always been looking forward to a true "3rd quest" and this one feels about as close as it could get....so far. I just completed level 2, and have 9 total heart containers (found 4 in the over world), have the bow and arrows, blue ring, blue candle, and potion (letter). The hint in level 2 is obviously about the raft, but I did not find a raft anywhere in the level. I'm assuming level 3 is across one of the docks. Before I go trying to burn every tree and blow up every wall in the over world with the blue candle and only 8 bombs looking for the raft, is there any hint you could give me? Is it least IN level 2 somewhere?

Thanks!

Thread Information