Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    61.04%
    Quote Originally Posted by Janus
    Final Fantasy XIII isn't awful. Yeah, it's more noticeably linear than most other FF games, but that didn't bother me much, since most FF games are pretty linear anyway. People's real complaint wasn't about linearity, it was about how "wait I can't go backwards?" since FFX was just as linear. The only real complaint I had was the restrictions in the Crystarium. Set level caps in an offline RPG that only raise when certain conditions are met? That's fucking stupid. I shouldn't have to beat the final boss to reach the highest levels in the game.
    Final Fantasy has always been linear storywise but was not always so strict exploration wise. Super monsters that will hit you hard enough to kill your character's future children aside, you were free to go anywhere in whatever part of the game world you had access to at the time. You generally had the airship about 1/4 of the way through any given game ("generally" being the keyword) allowing you to explore everywhere. FFXIII is more like "you will go here to set off the next set-piece and no where else". However, I am trying to overlook that fact and look only at story and gameplay. The story is... OK so far though I know very little about anything. The only thing I dislike is that I have no direct control over my other party members. I can change paradigms and shit but otherwise control nothing but my lead character. I cannot stand being unable to directly control my party members to the point that I turned Gambits off in XII. As for the "level" cap thing. I understand the logic behind it. It helps keep everything challenging. However, the last JRPG that I played that used such an anti-grind system was Lost Odyssey and the battles were at least challenging to begin with. As much as I hate anti-grind mechanics it at least works here. In FFXIII I effortlessly mow down everything I come across. Maybe that will change (I'm about 6 hours in) later.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    I just got a Gamecube, so I'm going to finish up Ocarina of Time on my 3DS and start Wind Waker.
    Despite my complaints of WW being absurdly easy, I really wish I still had it and my Gamecube. It was the last Zelda game I could bring myself to play beyond the first dungeon and I still have a soft spot for the game because of it.

Gibdo
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    92.53%
    Speaking of Final Fantasy XIII I'm playing it now. This time not going for a speed run. The last time I played it I was able to beat the game in 8 hours.
    I know my way though the game pretty much and I know how to beat the boss' without much trouble.

Armageddon Task Manager

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    12.05%
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    I tried so many times to play Final Fantasy XIII, but I just couldn't get into it.

I just got a Gamecube, so I'm going to finish up Ocarina of Time on my 3DS and start Wind Waker.
    Do you not have a Wii? Dios Mios man! Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
    Despite my complaints of WW being absurdly easy, I really wish I still had it and my Gamecube. It was the last Zelda game I could bring myself to play beyond the first dungeon and I still have a soft spot for the game because of it.
    It was the last one for me that felt magical, but I did finally play through TP and SS right before SS was released. Both good games.

<SUCCESSOR> Its Shadowblazer's dark essence invading the forums

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    66.61%
    I got rid of my Wii over a year ago. I never played anything except for Gamecube games. I gave it to my 10 year old brother.
    Talga Vassternich -- Deserve Victory

--------------------------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube channel! I'm doing video game reviews and retrospectives from the NES/SNES eras.
    I also now have a webpage: www.braselthegamer.com
    Contributor for Gaming Rebellion! Columnist of the new series Breakdown!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    65.6%
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrl-alt-delete View Post
    It was the last one for me that felt magical, but I did finally play through TP and SS right before SS was released. Both good games.
    That's exactly right. Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword were both good games, but they didn't capture the Zelda magic. Skyward Sword came close though.

Right now I'm starting up Portal 2 and Bioshock. I also started up Yoshi's Island on my SNES; I forgot just how good that game is. Maybe the best platformer on the SNES?

Gibdo
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    92.53%
    Still working On Final Fantasy XIII, just hit disk 3. (I really need to get a hold of some new games.)

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.98%
    I am still trying to finish Skyward Sword. I must say Nintendo has not made it easy. My will power to play this game dies quickly each play through. The linear gameplay, the mediocre level design, Fi... It all just makes for a nauseating game. Didn't they learn from Twilight Princess about item descriptions repeating after game resets?! It is so damn annoying! Nintendo never learns from their mistakes.

I also need to finish FF13. My Xbox crapped out before I could get far in it and I haven't restarted since getting a new one.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    66.61%
    Door Stop Simulator

Check out my YouTube channel! I'm doing video game reviews and retrospectives from the NES/SNES eras.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    66.61%
    In all seriousness, though, I started playing Castlevania on the NES right after I posted. I beat it in about 30 minutes using only one continue. I played it ON my NES, not on an emulator.

I beat it last week on an emulator, because my physical copy kept freezing on me. I used one save state after beating Dracula's first form. So I guess last week's win was just practice for the real thing this week.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    66.61%
    ...aaand I just beat Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest. That was actually really easy with a walkthrough. Maybe I spoiled it, maybe not. It wasn't a bad game, but it wasn't nearly as fun as the first one. I need to find Castlevania 3 now.

Thread Information