Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    65.68%

TV hunting.

I was out grocery shopping earlier this afternoon, and when I got home, I saw my 37" Vizio VL370m laying on its screen, knocked off by stand by either the dogs or a cat. My fault for forgetting to shut my door.

I could order the same TV from TigerDirect (probably elsewhere too but meh) for about $299, but I figured why not take this time to maybe upgrade? However, I'm not the best when it comes to TV shopping.

These are the two I am looking at now.

http://www.target.com/p/magnavox-39-...b/-/A-14054325
    http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-E390-A1-...390-A1+39-inch

My price limit is 400 dollars, and I don't want to go bigger than 42 inches. 1080p would be nice, since I plan on PS4ing like a madman. Those are the only two TVs I can find that fit my wants. I'm leaning toward the Vizio, but dang, the Magnavox is on sale and has one more HDMI out.

HALP.

Armageddon Task Manager

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    12.09%
    Vizio for contrast ratio.

<SUCCESSOR> Its Shadowblazer's dark essence invading the forums

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    52.02%
    My Vizio Is mah baby. If my cat or dog knocked it over I'd barbeque em!

Vizios are great price-wise, but the screens are somewhat dim and speakers aren't great. Don't try to use in bright rooms and expect to use the remote several times In a movie when one scene is too loud and the next you can't here shit.

Also make sure it has the connections you need. Some vizios only come with HDMI and rf.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    65.68%
    Quote Originally Posted by SUCCESSOR View Post
    My Vizio Is mah baby. If my cat or dog knocked it over I'd barbeque em!

Vizios are great price-wise, but the screens are somewhat dim and speakers aren't great. Don't try to use in bright rooms and expect to use the remote several times In a movie when one scene is too loud and the next you can't here shit.

Also make sure it has the connections you need. Some vizios only come with HDMI and rf.
    Yeah, my old one was a Vizio. It was a great TV =]

I'll pick the Vizio up tomorrow.

Thanks, @ctrl-alt-delete and @SUCCESSOR =]

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.16%
    Quote Originally Posted by Aliem View Post
    I was out grocery shopping earlier this afternoon, and when I got home, I saw my 37" Vizio VL370m laying on its screen, knocked off by stand by either the dogs or a cat. My fault for forgetting to shut my door..
    The proper response to this is "Nnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    You must be on some serious pain killers or something....

As SUCCESSOR pointed out - price-wise a Vizio is hard to beat, but I personally have a hard time getting used to any of the LCD TVs. The motion blur just bugs me more than it probably should. For this reason I'll probably only ever own plasma TVs. Yeah, I'm picky. The range for these is about $450 though.

My price limit is 400 dollars, and I don't want to go bigger than 42 inches. .
    That's what she said!
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    65.68%
    Quote Originally Posted by Gleeok View Post
    The proper response to this is "Nnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    You must be on some serious pain killers or something....

As SUCCESSOR pointed out - price-wise a Vizio is hard to beat, but I personally have a hard time getting used to any of the LCD TVs. The motion blur just bugs me more than it probably should. For this reason I'll probably only ever own plasma TVs. Yeah, I'm picky. The range for these is about $450 though.

That's what she said!
    Bleh yeah that was my original reaction, but I can't blame a cat for jumping on my TV when I was stupid enough to leave my door open and her food on top of my bookshelf. I can't be angry because of that

LCD screens for gaming has never bothered me, and my monitor is LED; I loves me some Skyrim on that thing. I figure an LED Vizio'll be right purdy ;p

Also, yes sir that is indeded what she said! lolz XD

Armageddon Task Manager

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    12.09%
    Shit happens. I'm OCD, constantly stressed to the point of depression, refuse to go to a doctor about it, etc.

It helps me to ask myself if it will matter in five years--if not, it doesn't matter now either.

Your cat/dog likely will still matter.

What was wrong with the tv that fell? Screen cracked?

<SUCCESSOR> Its Shadowblazer's dark essence invading the forums

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    65.68%
    Screen got royally screwed. Like, it looks like it was hit with a baseball. That's 'cause when it fell, it landed on an ill-placed fan. I'm gonna wall mount the new one when it gets here, and probably keep the room a little cleaner

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    79.06%
    Bleh yeah that was my original reaction, but I can't blame a cat for jumping on my TV when I was stupid enough to leave my door open and her food on top of my bookshelf. I can't be angry because of that
    You can and will be angry, but like you said, you directed it at yourself. You can't blame an animal when they have no concept of technology, or even what "fragile" is. I have never had an appliance ruined by my cats, but they just LOVE chewing on wires. I have spent many dollars replacing cords. Phone chargers, DS chargers, mice, even my Wii sensor bar. The best I can do is try to keep them from it.

I recently bought a Vizo and it's nice, but there are two features I had issues with. The first is the auto dimming feature. It took a while to figure out why the picture wasn't as bright an vibrant as I expected. It was because the TV has a light sensor that dims the screen based on the amount of light in the room. Terrible, turn it off. The other is the TruVolume function that equalizes the highs and lows. Meant to throttle the sound down on loud commercials and match the volume of the program you're watching. It does some weird stuff when I have my laptop hooked up to it. If something seems wrong with the sound, toggle that setting one way or the other.
    <- Play Triforce Quest!

"The greatness of one's sorrow when parting is the evidence of the deepness of one's love. So If one fears sadness, one wouldn't be able to love anything."
    -Belldandy, Oh My Goddess!

"Who cares if I'm a star up here?" - Minmei, Robotech
    "You bookahs worry too much about external appearances. It's what's inside your skull that counts." - Taimi, Guild Wars 2

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    52.02%
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyvol View Post
    You can and will be angry, but like you said, you directed it at yourself. You can't blame an animal when they have no concept of technology, or even what "fragile" is. I have never had an appliance ruined by my cats, but they just LOVE chewing on wires. I have spent many dollars replacing cords. Phone chargers, DS chargers, mice, even my Wii sensor bar. The best I can do is try to keep them from it.

I recently bought a Vizo and it's nice, but there are two features I had issues with. The first is the auto dimming feature. It took a while to figure out why the picture wasn't as bright an vibrant as I expected. It was because the TV has a light sensor that dims the screen based on the amount of light in the room. Terrible, turn it off. The other is the TruVolume function that equalizes the highs and lows. Meant to throttle the sound down on loud commercials and match the volume of the program you're watching. It does some weird stuff when I have my laptop hooked up to it. If something seems wrong with the sound, toggle that setting one way or the other.
    The auto dimming feature is pretty terrible. It also sucks having to adjust the brightness myself depending on whether I am watching something in the dark or during the day.

I don't know if my Vizio has the volume feature but if it does it sucks. Half of what I watch is too loud during action scenes and too quite during dialog.

Thread Information