User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: HowHigh

State Of Love And Trust, United State Of Amorica.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    36.82%

HowHigh

HowHigh features:
    >40 items
    >10 dungeons
    >200 overworld screens
    ~15 exclusive MIDI songs by Wolfo

this quest should be considered to be rated PG-13.
    little kids, make sure your adult guardians view and read this page before you do.
    if you are past the age of being juvenilely influenced by my immaturity, read on...

IN ORDER TO COMPLETE ALL OF THE MAIN OBJECTIVES OF THIS QUEST, YOU MUST PLAY IT USING ZELDA CLASSIC 1.90! a few of the other versions make the hardest enemies at least twice as hard (and nearly impossible to beat) and most of the other versions make some of the objectives impossible to complete and can get you stuck in ways that may require you to play again from the start in order to advance, so don't use builds other than 1.90 unless your computer can't run it. Zelda Classic 1.90 is a DOS program, so your computer needs to be able to run DOS games to use 1.90. after you have chosen a file/character name, pressing "alt" twice brings up a navigation menu window that allows you to browse in order to choose which quest file to load into the game program. I suggest using a controller and not the keyboard. I also suggest you set the controller up when the popup menu first allows you to. if you downloaded a copy of the quest before November 3rd, 2012, get the updated version linked below.*

this is the most recent version: HowHigh.qst/HowHigh.zip
    this is the program you will need to run it: ZeldaClassic1.90

if you cannot run Zelda Classic 1.90, try: ZeldaClassic1.92b184
    if you can't get any of the 1.9x versions running, knowing that the quest definitely won't run correctly and that you will not be able to complete the main objectives of the game without editing the quest yourself, you can try: ZeldaClassicBETASforWINDOWSandMACandLINUXcomputers

here's the quest database page: HowHigh listing

please go to the database page and post a review, if you played a good bit into this quest. I'm very appreciative of the reviews and good ratings! if you can record video of your playing of this quest in 1.90, it'd be awesome if you did such a thing.

*the game is free. I don't profit from it and, by downloading, you agree not to, either. some of the tiles were taken from other games, but most have been uniquely modified. any perceived trademark is parodied or unintentional. if you have a problem with the game, don't download it and/or delete it from your computer. any possible adverse effects to your computer (and the systems networked with it) that may be the result of downloading and executing the file are your risks that are to be remedied at nobody's expense beyond your own.

Wolfo made the euphonious soundtrack that is finally featured in the newest update. if you hear or see something that isn't quite right, please let me know about it. I'm not shy about resubmitting to the database with your fix help implemented. if you have ideas to improve the quest, please don't be shy.

here's a chapter summary (each of the titles really does say something about the content of the chapter) listing all items received except the map, compass, key and completion symbol from each chapter (each has each):

1 – SandBox:
    Wooden Boomerang
    Herb Jar And Spoon
    Wooden Sword
    Bombs
    Glass Bowl

2 – SplashDown:
    Kief
    Wooden Arrows
    Blue Lighter

3 – FireWall:
    Ladder
    Medium Wallet
    Absorbing Shield
    Blue Giants Cap
    Cold Metal Boomerang
    Sunglasses

4 – BullsEye:
    Crossbow
    Stone Sword
    Cellphone

5 – TimeBomb:
    Dynamite
    Medium Bomb Pouch
    Raft
    Large Bomb Pouch
    Purple Lighter
    Cold Metal Arrows

6 – WhirlWind:
    Right Turquoise Glove

7 – HeatStroke:
    Shocker
    Boots
    Red Giants Cap
    Left Ruby Glove
    Flamethrower Fuel
    Deflecting Shield
    Hot Metal Boomerang

8 – HighHead:
    Hammer
    Cold Metal Sword
    Gameboy
    Large Wallet
    Grappling Hook
    Snorkel And Mask
    Hot Metal Sword
    any items/weapons missed
    [all items slots can be filled and many can be upgraded]

need help? what follows are some tips based on questions I have received from people playing the game.

-don't be scared off by level nine
    -look for a prize and a door on each screen
    -stopping time can be dangerous
    -pay attention to what people tell you, many messages won't be repeated
    -seek alternate entrances
    -progress West
    -hotstepping moonwalking agility is required
    -the chapter titles and the name of the game are relevant to your progress

need more help? there is a detailed walkthrough hidden among many player questions and tips in this message board thread and the video below gives away almost all of the content of the quest through the beginning of the second level. if you would like to keep all of the surprises fresh, don't watch Kurt91 whoop upon the early bits of the game. to watch the video and preserve some of the fun reveals, stop watching at ten minutes in, right before the plot is introduced.

A Link To The... video's youtube page leads to some text that explains a few of the version compatibility SNAFUs.

feedback has been key in the decade-long (and counting) development of the game. while I still do not consider this thing to be totally finished (expect at least one more update for better cross-version compatibility), previous versions earned the quoted words that follow from players.

v: “this quest is awesome....very funny....full of wonderful colors and original ideas....full of greats surprises....beautiful"

f: “this is a strange quest....a really interesting quest....it's pretty addictive. it's also pretty hard....requires one to think outside the box a bit, and that's a good thing....very creatively done....darn good”

s: “incredibly clever....took a bit of thinking and skill to complete, and while it was difficult, it was never impossible”

t: “one of the best quests I've played in a while....great overworld design....coupled with fantastic gameplay”

p: "one of my favorite quests....stretched the limits....maintained the difficulty....having fun"

y: “the tiles are amazing”

i: “good concept”

m: “interesting”

j: "great"

w: “fun”

I want to thank everybody who has played this quest and provided feedback; it is appreciated! much respect to Wolfo, the composer. oh, and none of this would be possible without the invaluable help of S. Norton Duhrugges and Elle Ickenbochs.
    Last edited by trudatman; 11-04-2012 at 07:33 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    36.82%
    so, Brad Dashie is giving my quest a try, but he has a hearing disability, so I don't expect him to provide feedback on the new music that I have been eagerly anticipating. oh, well. here's hoping he likes the quest, regardless. he also reminded me to add the clarification that 1.92 players are reportedly capable of adhering to (most of) the intended design of the quest, so folks can feel (relatively) safe using those versions without worry that they will get to level eight and find they cannot complete the game due to incompatibility SNAFUs.

so:

-good luck, @Dashie dude.
    -y'all can expect this quest to mostly work with any 1.9 player(s), but it won't work right with any 2s.
    -somebody play this thing and comment on the soundtrack, which, until this year, hadn't changed for the better since development began in 2001.
    Last edited by trudatman; 10-06-2012 at 07:41 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    62.27%
    Thank Trudatman. I just finish recording. It is really long because I start over of bug. When I first open for map. But second, it close the program. So I think this one is bug.

[irl=http://youtu.be/4qlIjIo2mLM]Level 1, 2A[/url]

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    36.82%
    @Dashie Brad is one funny dude. I love those outbursts! here he is spending over an hour getting through the first twenty minutes of the game. there are some hard parts that had him stumped, but he stuck with it and it's a good thing that he has excellent fighting skills, because it seems that 1.92 players aren't ideal, as they require more hits than they should (at least twenty when it should be sixteen) to defeat the two-headed gleeok. that is going to make this game harder than it should be. oh, well, Brad's sword skills should get him through the gleeok battles. I wonder if all of the gleeoks will be extra hard... the forty-headed gleeok may be a bit much, but that is a long way away at this rate. so, readers... if you can run 1.90, play it in that. if the gleeoks are too hard, use the password 723 to edit them out, otherwise, I guess. also, the cracked house at the very end of the video was supposed to blow up (it does in 1.90 and I guess I figure I can "fix" that so it is more forward compatible), but you aren't missing much down that way. looks like I need to retract the recommendation that 1.92 players are okay; it looks like they are functional, but not ideal. here's hoping we get more videos like this one. thanks, Brad!

[video moved to a later post]
    Last edited by trudatman; 11-05-2012 at 12:22 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    36.82%
    I'm thinking he got frustrated with the map crashing bug and started using an incompatible build. another player reported that the house in the last three minutes of the video should have fallen in 1.92. so, I guess I can still recommend 1.92. I'm not not confused.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    36.82%
    [video moved to a later post -- this post can be removed/deleted]
    Last edited by trudatman; 11-05-2012 at 12:24 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    36.82%
    yeah, I'm pretty sure he was using an incompatible player. I recommend 1.90. if that isn't possible, 1.92b184 should work. I believe 1.92b183 will also work, as long as you don't try to view the map. all 2-point-whatevers will make the game too hard and impossible to beat.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    36.82%
    [video moved to a later post -- this post can be removed/deleted]
    Last edited by trudatman; 11-05-2012 at 12:28 AM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    66.33%
    I'm fairly sure I played this back in the day. I really loved that Revenge tileset. I never made a whole quest out of it.

I'll have to take a look at this next weekend and play it again.
    Talga Vassternich -- Deserve Victory

--------------------------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube channel! I'm doing video game reviews and retrospectives from the NES/SNES eras.
    I also now have a webpage: www.braselthegamer.com
    Contributor for Gaming Rebellion! Columnist of the new series Breakdown!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    36.82%
    if you played it in 2002-2004, it is now different enough that you should give it another go.

Thread Information