User Tag List

View Poll Results: What should it be called?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Final Fantasy Classic

26 70.27%
  • Final Fantasy Regenesis

0 0%
  • Final Fantasy Catastrophe

2 5.41%
  • A play on words like "Beginning Reality" or something...

5 13.51%
  • Other (Don't use FF in the title)

4 10.81%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy Classic?

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.2%
    I think bringing back projects on AGN sometime soon is very possible. AFAIK everyone's down for this, but I don't know anything more than that.

A google search didn't bring up much in RPGVX FF games other than IV (which actually looks pretty cool), would these be from japanese web sites?
    (Side note; I'm sorta sad that rpg maker gets so much attention for clones of other games. ...I guess there's a reason why indie/fan rpg game engines are mostly non-existent...hmm.)

[EDIT] Added a poll with options that sound good to me. If you guys could vote for one that would be awesome, or you have something better then post it. :)
    -Right now I'm leaning toward FF: Catastrophe, as that is what I call the 2D OpenGL Engine that it will be built off of (also hints at FF6 too) so it seems to fit pretty good.
    Last edited by Gleeok; 11-21-2012 at 09:02 PM.
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    1.42%
    LOL, the poll links to an old thread from 2002 when you make a selection.
    If you can't see it, the thread is here.

Anyway, Final Fantasy Catastrophe sounds pretty good.

Armageddon Task Manager

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    12.13%
    @Gleeok , I deleted the polls. Can you try again please?

<SUCCESSOR> Its Shadowblazer's dark essence invading the forums

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    1.42%
    Wow, I just realized my post sounds kind of... jerk-ass-y. I didn't mean it like that, I thought it was funny because the poll automatically recycled an old thread. It was not intended as an attack against Gleeok.

Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.2%
    Quote Originally Posted by CJC View Post
    LOL, the poll links to an old thread from 2002 when you make a selection.
    If you can't see it, the thread is here.
    Dammit. That's why!. ..(I was trying to figure out what was causing that). Apparently I am like a magnet to these forum bugs. x_x

Let's try this again.

[edit]
    Quote Originally Posted by CJC View Post
    Wow, I just realized my post sounds kind of... jerk-ass-y. I didn't mean it like that, I thought it was funny because the poll automatically recycled an old thread. It was not intended as an attack against Gleeok.
    No worries. Didn't even read it that way.
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    13.92%
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterSwordUltima View Post
    As somebody who has worked on countless RPG Maker projects - I can't help but notice that this has been done. I've played perfect replicas of FF1, 2, 3, and 5 on RPG Maker VX alone.
    Forgive me if this is a stupid question, as I don't know much of anything about RPG Maker... but how easy (or even possible) would it be for someone to take one of these replicas you speak of and use it as a template to make their own adventure with? If you say it's impossible (like the quest file is locked down or some such), then a Final Fantasy Classic that gives people a jump-start on making their own Final Fantasy could be a huge value-add to the Internet community over RPG Maker.

What I'm about to say next might sound crazy and is just a shot in the dark, but what if Gleeok's Final Fantasy Classic were merely a tool that spits out files compatible with RPG Maker, but the tool is centered and optimized around a Final Fantasy setting? Surely by now someone has reverse engineered their file format. This could be a way to not have to re-invent a whole new run-time and would also give us instant in-roads to the RPG Maker community.
    Last edited by Glenn the Great; 11-23-2012 at 12:15 PM.

クールな男
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    96.82%
    RPG Maker projects come with all of the resources, maps, events, scripting, openly viewable to anyone who owns RPG Maker. You can download the games as stand-alone exe's, but they also need to have the resources (tiles, sprites, sounds, music, etc) - so that all becomes available to anyone who downloads the game. You can EASILY use a pre-made game as a template - the only problem will be figuring out how they set up the events.

I would keep away from the RPG Maker compatibility all together - it's not worth it. From what I've seen of this, it's exactly how it should be going. No need to muddle it up by trying to compare it with RPG Maker.

Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.2%
    I don't see any good reason to try and handle rpg maker formats at all. I just find it interesting that these remakes exist at all, really, since it seems to me it would actually be pretty difficult to do.
    I've just been working on some data classes and fixing about 600 or so compiler errors. Scripting should be almost ready to go at least, though there's only bindings for math API types, strings, and template containers so far. It's fun determining the easiest way to store/handle actors and object's stats and attributes. Right now everything that is fight-able or usable (items, monsters, spells, characters) has base attributes. Seems like a waste for something like a simple potion though. Oh well.
    All in all I'm finding it fun figuring out how to reduce complexity and work out all the low level design stuff from a genre of game I've played my whole life. :)

Armageddon Task Manager

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    12.13%
    Less talking, more playing.

<SUCCESSOR> Its Shadowblazer's dark essence invading the forums

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    65.77%
    I'm late to the party, it seems. Anyway, I'd just like to throw my support behind this idea. A classic Final Fantasy-style could be great.

How classic are you thinking? NES era, or SNES era?

Thread Information