Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.7%

Motion Sickness

I have always had a problem with motion sickness. When I was a kid it wasn't so bad. It basically was only a problem in the back seat of a car in a trip with lots of starts and stops or carnival rides with lots of spinning. Which sucked because I loved "scary rides" but even though the height or falls didn't scare me the spinning motions would make me ill for hours.

Now that I am an adult it's hard to ride in a car with someone else driving without getting a little ill. Riding the bus often now I'd like to be able to read or play video games while waiting. I can play a bit on the bus (like 5 minutes at a time) but reading for a couple minutes is almost impossible. I always thought it was just a thing some people could do and others can't.

I have been looking into it and some studies suggest you can train yourself to not get motion sick, at least to some degree. Anyone have any experience with getting over motion sickness? Can you read or play games in a car or bus? What helps?

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.96%
    Well I haven't been able to completely conquer motion sickness but I've extended my tolerance to roughly an hour before I become ill.

In my earlier years it was pretty severe; I'd lose my lunch on even short car trips. Having access to a window helped, because the breeze counteracted the nausea.

I think part of the cause of motion sickness is the awareness that you are moving when--relative to all the objects around you--you are essentially still. If you can trick yourself into knowing that you are moving (step in place with your feet or have access to a breeze) it will help.

How to gain tolerance for reading or playing a game, though, I can't say. It's always made me ill, so I don't even try anymore.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.7%
    I think It'd be easier to read if I had an ereader. My phone may have an over 4 inch screen but most of the time getting font to a large view is tricky. Which just circles back to the fact that I need to read more book(instead of obscure articles).

On top of the world ShadowTiger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    60.16%
    Achievements It's over 9000!
    I used to have horribly awful motion sickness in cars. I used to be afraid of getting into them and riding for long periods of time out of the fear that I'd throw up in the middle of the road and cars would slip on them, careening into other vehicles and cause a ten car pile-up that was all my fault because someone had to transport me somewhere.

I got over it by forgetting that I got motion sickness, roughly when I was eleven. I was too distracted by reading a book (Ironic) and arrived at my destination before I had known it. I never had it since. I guess when I realized I didn't have to get sick, I stopped focusing on it, and the problem went away. Strangest thing.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.7%
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowTiger View Post
    I used to have horribly awful motion sickness in cars. I used to be afraid of getting into them and riding for long periods of time out of the fear that I'd throw up in the middle of the road and cars would slip on them, careening into other vehicles and cause a ten car pile-up that was all my fault because someone had to transport me somewhere.

I got over it by forgetting that I got motion sickness, roughly when I was eleven. I was too distracted by reading a book (Ironic) and arrived at my destination before I had known it. I never had it since. I guess when I realized I didn't have to get sick, I stopped focusing on it, and the problem went away. Strangest thing.
    Sounds more like anxiety than motion sickness.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    16.44%
    A friend of mine has a similar problem when riding in cars, especially if she is in the back seat. She has to take Dramamine before long car rides especially, but I think she also takes it before flying and other things as well. Her situation is also complicated by a touch of Vertigo, but Dramamine works well for motion sickness. The only time I took it was when I went on a whale watching boat when I was younger - just in case. Have you tried using it before longer car rides? It may not work the same for everyone.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    92.51%
    Are you prone to inner-ear infections? Sometimes motion sickness is caused by a physical irregularity, usually something with the inner-ear. If you are not particularly prone to vertigo, it is probably not that but something to think about.

I only get motion sick reading in cars; boats have never been a problem and I can stay in a gravitron until my legs turn to jelly and still walk a straight line. If you are like me, it is no actually the motion but the blur of peripheral images that causes the sensation and that can be averted somewhat. When I speed read, no sickness, probably because I hyperfocus when speed reading and do not see anything beyond the lines on the page. That does nothing when reading road signs but I do not get motion sick reading road signs. The other thing that helps is just relaxing the eyes and keeping focus soft. Take a moment every few minutes of reading time to look around and casually appreciate the scenery beyond the vehicle. And do not forget to breathe -- in through the nose, out through the mouth. There is a physiological response to the strong inhalation of air through the sinus passages that helps relax the eyes and alleviate dizziness.
    "The public is wonderfully tolerant. It forgives everything except genius."

Glenn the Great: I just think I'd be happier as a pretty lesbian girl.

"Live and Let Live" is an excellent, tree-hugging philosophy, but it doesn't do much when the ones you refuse to kill are dragging you down with them.

On top of the world ShadowTiger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    60.16%
    Achievements It's over 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by SUCCESSOR View Post
    Sounds more like anxiety than motion sickness.
    Sounds a bit like Chicken or the egg here?

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.7%
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercy View Post
    Are you prone to inner-ear infections? Sometimes motion sickness is caused by a physical irregularity, usually something with the inner-ear. If you are not particularly prone to vertigo, it is probably not that but something to think about.

I only get motion sick reading in cars; boats have never been a problem and I can stay in a gravitron until my legs turn to jelly and still walk a straight line. If you are like me, it is no actually the motion but the blur of peripheral images that causes the sensation and that can be averted somewhat. When I speed read, no sickness, probably because I hyperfocus when speed reading and do not see anything beyond the lines on the page. That does nothing when reading road signs but I do not get motion sick reading road signs. The other thing that helps is just relaxing the eyes and keeping focus soft. Take a moment every few minutes of reading time to look around and casually appreciate the scenery beyond the vehicle. And do not forget to breathe -- in through the nose, out through the mouth. There is a physiological response to the strong inhalation of air through the sinus passages that helps relax the eyes and alleviate dizziness.
    No. I am not prone to ear infections of vertigo. It also doesn't matter if it is perceived motion or actual motion. If I see things spinning fast it can me a little nauseous. "Found footage" films kill me, and not just because they are awful. Like I said it is mostly manageable. I don't get really sick often. Usually on a bus trip the sickness will fade after 5 to 10 minutes of walking. I don't have any problems with boats. Though, I suppose if there was a lot of wake it might be a minor issue. When i get hit with it I usually close my eyes which helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercy View Post
    Take a moment every few minutes of reading time to look around and casually appreciate the scenery beyond the vehicle.
    I do this to try to beat it but reading is very difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowTiger View Post
    Sounds a bit like Chicken or the egg here?
    Well, the main difference would be that I get sick even when there is nothing to cause anxiety. The first time I recall getting car sick I was a kid and was very distracted.

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    23.44%
    I never had any problems with vehicles when I was a kid, but at some point reading became very difficult for more than 20 seconds or so. If I can just pinpoint the exact time and place this paradigm shift occurs I believe that is the key to unravel the secrets of the universe.
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Thread Information