Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.79%

Question Opinion - Games that should get remakes

Here's another opinion thread. What are some classic games that should be remade into 3DS or PS4 titles? I don't mention the Xbox here because I really despise Xbox.

First on my list: Final Fantasy VI, with CGI cutscenes and voice, like the DS remake of Final Fantasy IV. I've even heard rumor to the effect that such a title is in the works, but can't find anything that conclusively confirms of disproves this.

Another one: Chrono Trigger. Yes, I know, they already made a DS remake of this, but it wasn't what I wake hoping for. It was primarily the exact same game with altered dialogue and a few new areas to explore. I was hoping to see a true remake, with updated graphics and whatnot.

Any others?
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

How many licks to get to the center Chris Miller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37.93%
    (Moved to Video Game Discussion)

Zelda II needs a remake. As a 2D sidescroller, it would be the best of the old games by far to translate into a 3D platformer. A lot of the features of modern Zelda games owe their existence to Zelda II, like the ideas of magic, spells, sword techniques and several enemies. The environment could be considered prototypical, at least in terms of the towns and big multi-floor palaces, of Ocarina of Time.

Download Lands of Serenity today! You will be knocked comatose by its sheer awesomeness.
    The Titan's Quest, best played in the bathroom as the excitement can be somewhat...overwhelming.

Official AGN Discord Channel

Official ZC Dev Discord Channel

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    42.02%
    Personally, I'd like all of the early Final Fantasy games (pre-VII) get DS style remakes (so I, II, V, and VI are left) and Dragon Quest 1-3 getting remakes like 4-6 did.
    Maybe an Ogre Battle-March of the Black Queen remake. Heck, remake all the great SNES era RPGs.
    My Quotes and other siggy stuff.
    *Bar-Buddies updates whenever-also can email comics upon request*
    MP:89
    Playing: Final Fantasy XIV

The Artist Once Known As Old-Skool QDB Manager
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.04%
    Here's one that might be extremely controversial:

Super Mario Bros.

It's an iconic title, don't get me wrong, in fact there's a lot physically that I would simply *NOT* change. That said, several stages get repeated, where they could be their own thing. that *would* change.

Also, the game doesn't have an athletic theme, and I don't think people could complain too much if say world 1-3 got a more upbeat remix of the mario theme

A less controversial choice?

Mega Man 2

There's another series under Capcom that has seen its second entry get remade like 57 times. This one got like... an updated version on SEga and not too much else. It's ripe for Zero Missioning, and maybe adding some new abilities, particularly weapon stacking. Metal Blade + Bubble Lead = megaman dropping a saw that rolls along through the floor like a deadly version of bubble lead. Metal Blade + Leaf Shield: orbiting blades. Atomic Fire + Crash Bombs = expanding bombs (charge for bigger blast). Air Shooter + Flash Stopper = carry away everything on the screen
    Last edited by King Aquamentus; 03-07-2015 at 02:18 AM.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    23.67%
    Final Fantasy 6 deserves better than the DS. It should be new gen and PC. I wanna see a masterpiece relived; not ported and given fresh paint.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.79%
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Final Fantasy 6 deserves better than the DS. It should be new gen and PC. I wanna see a masterpiece relived; not ported and given fresh paint.
    Well, what I was hoping to see them do with FF6 was like what they did with FF4. That was also not a port, that was a true remaking of a classic. FF6 has always been one of my favorite Final Fantasy games, and that is the main reason I want to see it get the remake it deserves, the same way FF4 did.
    @King Aquamentus : It seems to me that Super Mario Bros has been remade more than once. There was the SMAS verson, plus the GBC and the GBA versions. True, those versions didn't really change much beyond the graphics, but the game is perfect as it is, IMHO. It pretty much re-defined the platformer genre. If it isn't broke, don't fix it.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.04%
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkOne View Post
    Well, what I was hoping to see them do with FF6 was like what they did with FF4. That was also not a port, that was a true remaking of a classic. FF6 has always been one of my favorite Final Fantasy games, and that is the main reason I want to see it get the remake it deserves, the same way FF4 did.
    @King Aquamentus :There was the SMAS verson, plus the GBC and the GBA versions.
    I think you're confusing a remake for an updated port. Not enough was altered of any version of that game to constitute a remake. Deluxe's map screen is really probably one of those closest.

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.04%
    @King Aquamentus :There was the SMAS verson, plus the GBC and the GBA versions.
    I think you're confusing a remake for a graphically updated port. Not enough was altered of any version of that game to constitute a remake.

Of course, the elephant in the room is the original Zelda. Probably why so many ZCers want to remake it in different ways. Heck there's an active thread on the possibilities *right now*.

Other considerations:

Gradius - specifically the 1985 arcade version of this title. Considering all the mechanical additions that the series has had added, it would be neat to see an edition of the original game where, say, you could change your weapons loadout before you start, or maybe add new bosses (instead of ending stage 3 with some orbs and a big core, why not a giant statue head?) Also, since a few versions of the game also added an extra "bone/graveyard" stage, might as well include that.

Gradius II - speaking of which, this title seems like the most likely candidate to be not so much "remade", but given a 2.5D reinterpretation, ala Gradius V. Salamander/Life Force would work just as well, but this seems most likely.

Yet another Konami title here but definitely worth considering:

Metal Gear - Most likely that we're talking the MSX original here, and not the NES game. Either way, imagine it reinterpreted in the vein of the Solid series. Instead of seeing a swinging bridge over a black void on the roof, why not see the floor down below, and maybe the sun behind Snake, silhouetting him as he walks across the roof?
    Last edited by King Aquamentus; 03-07-2015 at 04:38 PM.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.79%
    It kind of surprises me that Nintendo has never re-made the original Zelda. I have seen many remakes of the first quest on ZC (and the 182test that was bundled with the original ZC I think was the best), but there has never been an official remake of either Zelda or Zelda II. I find this very odd, especially since LTP was re-released with the Four Swords game on the GBA. I know, that doesn't really count as a remake. They could have put the two NES Zelda games onto one SNES cart with updated graphics like they did with SMAS.

I don't know much about the Gradius games, but I could definitely see the idea with Metal Gear.

Another one that deserves a remake would be the original Ninja Gaiden trilogy. That was an awesome story, and if put together with some actual animated cutscenes and decent voice acting, it would look so nice.

I shall exalt myself over all Armagedddon Games bigjoe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    93.04%

Another one that deserves a remake would be the original Ninja Gaiden trilogy. That was an awesome story, and if put together with some actual animated cutscenes and decent voice acting, it would look so nice.
    I liked the SNES Ninja Gaiden Trilogy remake. I think its not so well known for whatever reason, but it did what it did pretty well. A couple of the game mechanics got goofed up, but the quality of the music more than made up for it.

Thread Information