Quote Originally Posted by DarkDragon View Post
I've removed it from 2.50.x:

1. It was not correctly incorporated, since it was added to 2.50.x without updating master. It is a complete disaster for the two branches to use the same quest rule bit for different purposes! (all quests saved in 2.50.x would work incorrectly in future ZC versions).
Of course I did not add it to master. You explicitly told me not to make any internal changes for master until you were done with your own. I can't set up rules changes in ZDefs.h or in FFRules until you finish what you are doing, but I was planning to forward this to master, and to 2.54, later, as that is still an interim goal.

2. The same issue is already fixed in master using a different mechanism (ZASM version metadata, rather than quest rule). Master's mechanism needs to be removed and replaced with whatever 2.50.x does, if 2.50.x is changed to do something different.

3. From the threads here and on PureZC it doesn't sound like anyone will be affected by just rolling back the 2.50.3 COMBOSDM behavior.

If you need to put the quest rule back in for some reason, please ensure points #1 and #2 are fully addressed.
The change to COMBOSDM is critical, as the old code causes ZC to crash if it is used on layers higher than 1. It is not merely there to support 2.50.3RC1 quests, but to address a critical bug. The QR allows us a way to permit this fix in releases until 2.60 is ready, which as far as I can see, is stretching farther into the future, every day. Adding an inclusive statement to check for this old bit or a script header version > blah, should suffice.

When you are done with what you are doing, and I can properly address the rules for 2.60, including porting enemy stuff to the enemy classes, item stuff to the item classes, and all of that fun, this can just sit in there under old_rules as the second-to-last-bit. We also need a bit for bitmap positioning. That was another debacle intended as a silent 'fix' for an old 'bug', that instead became its own huge bug/mistake, introduced in 2.50.2 that fragmented the community by making some very popular quests [U]unplayable[U] in 2.50.2.

I developed a header just to determine the version between 2.50., 2.50.1, and 2.50.2, expressly because of that problem (see: ZVersion.zh) that was used to patch several quests.

I truly want to be able to tell everyone that all quests made in any 2.50.x version are safe in 2.53. I don't want users to need exceptions, or excuses, to avoid updating for fear that Project-X is broken, as this is what happened with absolutely every update to 2.50.0.

Otherwise, what the flidd is the point of spending the time to make it?

I did not handle the change in this manner, on a whim.