0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    14.77%

pre-social media internet memories

---
    Last edited by Liliith; 10-04-2023 at 10:33 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    92.51%
    I miss the sound of handshake. It was akin to starting an old car on a cold morning -- grinding and grinding and grinding until that sound that meant the engine turned over and one would soon be rolling along.

I do not miss the mass assault of janky animated .gif's, especially when accompanied by high-major midi files.

"Nobody use the phone for the next two hours, I'm downloading a 4K image file".

BBS's and froups FTW! Social media before there was a term.

MUD's and MUSH's and LAN parties, oh my!

Stile Sucks. Really. Since 2001. I blame 9/11. Prior to that, it was the wild west where men were men and so were most of the women, 'cause some things never change, and one put up or STFU. Terrorists ruin everything.

Mobile phone technology is the real driving force behind social media. Cellys brought ease-of-access and eschewed the need to be savvy enough to use a computer.
    "The public is wonderfully tolerant. It forgives everything except genius."

Glenn the Great: I just think I'd be happier as a pretty lesbian girl.

"Live and Let Live" is an excellent, tree-hugging philosophy, but it doesn't do much when the ones you refuse to kill are dragging you down with them.

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.96%
    Ah the dial-up days. Since my brother was gregarious the phone line was almost always tied up. Internet spurts had to be brief and there was never bandwidth to do anything significant. Thus I was driven to the forum scene, with AGN being my first. I came here for technical support after my dad found Zelda Classic and presented it to me.

Over the years I followed the various splinter forums as they formed. Complete Zelda Classic. Beacon of Fantasy. Zelda Classic University. As is the nature of the splinter forum these eventually crumpled into inactivity and I returned to the wellspring.

I'd cite my experiences with the wiki phenomenon but those all began AFTER the advent of social media. Speaking of which, what are we using as the benchmark? MySpace or Facebook? ...Not that I have more to say, but it might be helpful for others who post.

Oh god, I summarized my entire history with the internet in two paragraphs.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    66.32%
    I miss the days of creating fan sites for video games, particularly Mega Man and Final Fantasy. You rarely see the crappy point and click fan sites anymore. Those were so much fun.
    Talga Vassternich -- Deserve Victory

--------------------------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube channel! I'm doing video game reviews and retrospectives from the NES/SNES eras.
    I also now have a webpage: www.braselthegamer.com
    Contributor for Gaming Rebellion! Columnist of the new series Breakdown!

I shall exalt myself over all Armagedddon Games bigjoe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    93.02%
    My first internet memories were walking to the library to participate in a sort of online writing forum type thing. This was before I had a computer. I enjoyed the little walk to get there, gave me something to do.

Then I actually got my first computer. It was a total POS. Somehow I managed to set up free-internet and get online. free-internet had chat rooms where I would go by the name Bob and chat with uh, interesting people.

I was introduced to sluggy.com or Sluggy Freelance, the first internet comic strip I'd read. What fun that was. It updated every day.

After awhile, it became all about the games. The simple, late 90s, early 2000s games that you could download on a 56k modem. Roms and stuff. Back in the day the simple Rom sites with only the popular games were the shit (plasticman's rom site is one I remember)

Then there was Zelda Classic. Found a link with a download on some old freeware site, which linked to whatever old site AGN was using at the time. Ended up here,where I would spend a considerably large portion of my life being retarded. I imagine I became less retarded at some point. Or at least I hope.

This place served as a sort of hub from which I would explore all sorts of other things. Mandrag Ganon's site led me to a game called Graal Online, which was a LTTP clone type thing with online play.Met some cool people there. One in particular.

Unlike most other sites I visit, I still choose to type the link to this site out manually when visiting. It's a sort of habit.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    I miss the days of creating fan sites for video games, particularly Mega Man and Final Fantasy. You rarely see the crappy point and click fan sites anymore. Those were so much fun.
    I miss old school Final Fantasy sites too. Had a lot of fun with those. Especially during my library trips. There was one in particular that I think was on Geocities that had a list of all the FF games on the side with all sorts of details about each. It was neat.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    23.64%
    Low quality nudes and html frames.

(:

クールな男
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    96.41%
    Geocities/Angelfire/Maxpages "Shrines" to various video game characters. Maybe a few random anime ones thrown in. Oh looks here's a listing of a bunch of animation cells or gifs from SNES roms.

I remember running a MUD server from my house in high school, and then a whole bunch of us in Computer Tech classes hopping onto it at school. That shit was dope.

I missed the atmosphere that AIM brought so much that I re-downloaded Trillian, slapped on a Windows98 skin, and then ripped the sounds from an old version install of AIM 5.0. It's neat because it basically turns your facebook friends' list into an AIM buddy list - door slams and all. *euphoria*

I miss cool forum shit, like Acmlm's board. The PHP integration in that gives me a boner to this day, and I'm pretty sure the only reason we don't see more of it is because people just want the web 2.0 look.

Really cool rom hacks. Although nowadays we've got people adding in all of the Smash Bros. 4 characters, stages, music, etc to hacked copies of Brawl - which is impressive in it's own right. But I mean like, who the fuck ever came up with Super Stick Bros? It's so simple, yet so satisfying.

I really miss screensavers. Ubuntu seems to still like them, which is cool. Nobody needs 'em, I suppose. Or like how it's been mentioned with portable technology dominating the front - so screens usually just turn off to save power.

OH OH, and ambient javascript, like falling snowflakes, or a big dumb clock that follows the cursor.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    64.73%
    Floppy discs and printing guitar tabs at the public library!
    Writing MIDI files!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    92.51%
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
    Ended up here,where I would spend a considerably large portion of my life being retarded. I imagine I became less retarded at some point. Or at least I hope.
    It has been many moons since I last threatened to have you neutered so yeah, less retarded indeed.
    "The public is wonderfully tolerant. It forgives everything except genius."

Glenn the Great: I just think I'd be happier as a pretty lesbian girl.

"Live and Let Live" is an excellent, tree-hugging philosophy, but it doesn't do much when the ones you refuse to kill are dragging you down with them.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    16.44%
    AOL... I probably don't even have to say much more than that, but I do remember going on to the gaming boards there, mainly the Zelda ones. Oh how AIM became such the in thing for so long! That was much more popular up here with most of the people I know, not so much IRC.

Thread Information