Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    68.7%

[2.xx] Expanded FFC Things

Speaking of FFCs, would it be possible to increase the number available, for 2.60, to 256 (or more, but 256 is a good start)?
    32 becomes a bit frustrating when you're autoghosting many enemies, or all enemies; and when making ffc lweapons, and eweapons; and running FFC menus, etc., as you're always paranoid of game-breaking glitches when you exhaust the 32 FFC limit.

It would also be nice of you could incorporate Waitdraw(), directly in FFCs. That might be trickier, but it would still be brilliant.

Here lies mero. Died by his own dumbassitude.
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    13.96%
    @ZoriaRPG

I'll do you one better, let's you and me team up and make the number of FFCs a vector.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.7%
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamamo View Post
    @ZoriaRPG

I'll do you one better, let's you and me team up and make the number of FFCs a vector.
    o.O I am lost as to what you could mean.

Increasing the number of FFCs per screen would be useful. While I haven't come close to using them all yet I imagine it could be possible at some point in my quest. Then again at that point I would just consolidate. Then again I have no understanding of why the current limit is in place so I can't even begin to comment on how feasible it is.

The Timelord
    QDB Manager
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    68.7%
    @ZoriaRPG

First, and foremost, I have no idea if this is a genuine request, or if it's meant to be sarcastic, particularly with that choice of emoticons following your statement... :/

Second, even if genuine, I would think that approval from the core developers would be a necessity, before anyone else would be able to work on the basecode.

Last, should I be interested, I would need to familiarise myself with the ZC components, to understand how everything is tied together, and would certainly need to be 'in the loop', to avoid making a change that tosses a spanner into the works, that could in any way conflict with changes that the developers are making at present. I don't know how modular any of the engine components are, how intrinsic anything is, to anything else, and would generally need to see the code in question, and preferably, any documentation that details what is going on, what the general plan is, and so forth.

In short, I do not oppose this proposal, but for anything that I may do, I would need to be professional in the undertaking thereof. If the main developers support this kind of action, I will discuss it further.

Here lies mero. Died by his own dumbassitude.
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    13.96%
    i was talking when the source is released. :p

The Timelord
    QDB Manager
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    68.7%
    I had an idea here... Would it be feasible to add an FFC flag that executes FFC functions during screen init, before Waitdraw()? I don;t know at exactly what point 'run at screen init' runs the FFC instructions, but clearly, drawing called in an FFC happens a frame later. Would the present order of execution allow something like that?

i was talking when the source is released. :p
    I'll consider it, at the point that it becomes relevant, and possible to muse on the notion.

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    23.44%
    Just looked into possibly doing this after 2.10.2. There's a major problem: If FFCs were increased to 255, for example, this would mean that memory usage would increase about 7 times in ZC, and 255 maps would require over 2 Gigabytes of system memory alone. x_x
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    12.42%
    Quote Originally Posted by Gleeok View Post
    Just looked into possibly doing this after 2.10.2. There's a major problem: If FFCs were increased to 255, for example, this would mean that memory usage would increase about 7 times in ZC, and 255 maps would require over 2 Gigabytes of system memory alone. x_x
    Destructors, linked lists, queues, stacks, more complex efficient implementations. Encapsulation, polymorphism, inheritence, etc. You just gotta think.

C++ was made to optimize memory management as perfectly as possible.
    if you need help with that, I'm on board. I have a book on Game Design if you want, it's graduate level though but I'm sure it'll be easy for you.

Object-Oriented Programming for the win.

AGILE manifesto, team iterative processes, etc. Basic Software change procedure.

Concept Location -> Impact Analysis -> Prefactoring -> Actualization -> Postfactoring -> Verification -> iteration -> ... -> Conclusion

You guys are stuck in the Waterfall Pardigm from what I can see, that's why we need OOP
    Last edited by Samer; 06-14-2015 at 03:10 PM. Reason: clarification

The Timelord
    QDB Manager
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    68.7%
    Quote Originally Posted by Samer View Post
    Destructors, linked lists, queues, stacks, more complex efficient implementations. Encapsulation, polymorphism, inheritence, etc. You just gotta think.

C++ was made to optimize memory management as perfectly as possible.
    if you need help with that, I'm on board. I have a book on Game Design if you want, it's graduate level though but I'm sure it'll be easy for you.

Object-Oriented Programming for the win.
    For the record, I doubt that Gleeok would need to read more reference material. The basic problem here, is the hand-me-down nature of the ZC source. I believe that five different sets of programmers have worked on it over the years, and it's just a mess. I would however, support another set of hands working on this sort of thing, for 2.60.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    12.42%
    I agree with you, the old school pre 80s implementation is what's making this so difficult.

Shoot POS systems use OOP.

It's ok though.

Thread Information