User Tag List

Thread: So, Lightning Returns is actually fun.

クールな男
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    96.82%

So, Lightning Returns is actually fun.

Grabbed the demo a few days go, finally got around to playing it. Gameplay is akin to a mix between Final Fantasy and Devil May Cry, which is really fun. You still get into battles proper, but attacks are all set up to Square/Circle/X/Triangle. You can also move Lightning around in real time, which is neat. Adds more control, yet still has the command menu kinda thing going on. Each skill consumes a bit of your current Schemata's ATB guage...speaking of....

Schemata is basically == Paradigm's. Except they are completely customizable, from equipment, abilities, all the way down to your fucking outfit. Down to the colors of specific parts of your outfit. I was jazzed when I saw that you can throw a plumed hat on lightning, and give her red robes, because I'm a sucker for red mages. Dragoon kit is there as well as what looks like Amano style Locke's (FF6) outfit, which was really neat. I knew about getting the SOLDIER First Class outfit w/ Buster Sword, and now I'm actually really excited to play with that.

The first FF13 was ALRIGHT at best - still a long hallway game. FF13-2 was OKAY at best. This, this demo was a blast to play. Facebook integration is neat, I s'pose - not worried about that though. It's like they finally figured out a way to make this installment fun, after what; over half a decade?

Oh, and whatever outfit you're wearing becomes canon to the story thanks to real time cutscenes (not unlike the last few Metal Gear Solid games). So you can make her look like a total retard, and everyone think that's normal. Fun.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    65.77%
    Final Fantasy XIII got more hate than I think it rightfully deserved, to be honest. It changed up a lot of standards (the linearity, no airship, being unable to backtrack ever) but those didn't bother me as much as I thought they would. That said, it didn't have to be a complete one-path situation. Final Fantasy XII did it well, I think, with multiple areas leading to the same destination. The sandseas and forest areas are good examples of what would otherwise be a linear path done right.

The story, though, I loved. One of my favorites in the franchise. The battle system was pretty fun, too. I loved when I finally found the right strategy to get past a boss. When before, one would have to grind to beat a seemingly unbeatable boss, here you just had to find the right paradigm combinations.

Really, the only thing that really bothered me was the stunted character growth. Being unable to grow until certain story points were reached was frustrating.

Lightning Returns doesn't look bad, and I'm glad to hear it's fun. I'll probably pick it up

Gibdo
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    92.67%
    I might be picking it up. Just depends if I'm in the mood to play another game set in the 13 universe. <_<

I loved FF13 as much as I like FF10, just getting tired of the 13 series...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    65.77%
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventus View Post
    I might be picking it up. Just depends if I'm in the mood to play another game set in the 13 universe. <_<

I loved FF13 as much as I like FF10, just getting tired of the 13 series...
    Yeah, I know what you mean. It's a shame, though, Type-0 never saw western release. Lightning Returns is to be the last direct XIII title, though XV will still include the mythos- which I'm fine with. I think the mythos established with the XIII series is incredible.

But, let's look at X. Also a great game, with an incredible mythos. The most recent entries into that series, X-2.5 and X -Will- have utterly destroyed everything good about X.

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.2%
    As much as I was disappointed with XIII, I'm willing to give this one a shot seeing as how square basically held a gun to the tri-ace team and made them work on much more than just a little of the battle engine in XIII-2 for this.

rant/
    Damn you squaresoft! We could have had something potentially more interesting like VP3 instead of XIII-2, and XIII-3.
    Seeing the rpgs come out over the last 5 years I think I'm not alone when I say I'd rather there were 4 $50 million dollar unique rpg ideas instead of these $200 million dollar "cutting edge" abominations. They should also change thier name to "square-enix-ace" at this point as a warning for other companies.
    /rant
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Thread Information