User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you plan on making a 5th entry?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 58.82%
  • No

7 41.18%
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Fifth Quest Planning and Discussion

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    93.1%
    Quote Originally Posted by CJC View Post
    Two questions:

Will the fourth quest be made available unpassworded so we can access certain features implemented in that quest (such as the Green Goriya)?
    I don't mean this to be funny, and I'm no dev, but I have example_3rd and example_4th (as well as the first 2). Clearly they were at some point available. I could put them up somewhere if there's a need.

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by Imzogelmo View Post
    I don't mean this to be funny, and I'm no dev, but I have example_3rd and example_4th (as well as the first 2). Clearly they were at some point available. I could put them up somewhere if there's a need.
    Actually Example_4th is the only one that I'm missing. I don't know when they were available without password, but I do have the first three unlocked on my computer.

In fact, I was shocked that the 'example' versions of the quests were not bundled after 2.5 came out.

EDIT: What I mean to say is yes, it would be awesome if somebody could make those files available. Maybe we could put them on the quest database?
    Last edited by CJC; 08-07-2013 at 01:31 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    93.1%
    OK. Quick and dirty:

http://imzogelmo.webs.com/news.htm

EDIT: Oh yea, if you see that Hitting Jello wav file on my site, its timing works perfectly for a Zol splitting into Gels. Feel free to use it. :)
    Last edited by Imzogelmo; 08-08-2013 at 01:44 AM.

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    23.44%
    Thanks.

I actually had no idea there was even an example 3rd or 4th. I know we had proposed versions in the alpha builds (up to rev.1200 where they were finalized) for some years though.
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.96%
    Wow... fourth only has two pages of tiles? How efficient.

Thank you Imzogelmo. It gives us the power to transfer maps to new 'classic tileset' quests, which is really important considering the Overworld needs to remain the same.

EDIT: I was thinking about what CAD said for accessing the quest (Type DarkNation or DN), and I have a few follow-up questions.

First, should you be able to reach this quest by beating Third OR Fourth (either one, but not both since they aren't sequential)?

Second, should we include a memorial room for DarkNation in the quest, and if so what should the string say?

SECOND EDIT: I notice one of the rules is to set the continue point to the dungeon entrance. If my dungeons have more than one entrance, does that break the rules? (I intended to set the continue point to the most obvious Overworld entrance)?
    Last edited by CJC; 08-07-2013 at 05:15 PM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.69%
    Can someone post the example 3rd and 4th?

-James

-

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nightmarejames YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/nightmarejames

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:
    Completed: Zelda NES Remastered, Demo 1st Quest, Demo 2nd Quest, James Quest: Remastered (V 2.1), Memorial Quest, New Quest 2 2015. New Quest: Rebuilt
    In development: Demo SP, James Quest: Remastered (V 3.0)t, 6QI

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Can someone post the example 3rd and 4th?

-James

-
    Well you can get the unpassworded 'fourth' from Imzogelmo's site:

Quote Originally Posted by Imzogelmo View Post
    As for the others (1st through 3rd), you'll need to wait for somebody to give permission for them to be uploaded.

====================

Quote Originally Posted by Gleeok View Post
    * No Summoners that can summon bosses, where "bosses" includes the standard bosses, Moldorm, Lanmola and Patra (but not Digdogger Kid). Also, no enemies that split into bosses, and no enemies that grow into bosses.
    * Custom bosses (defined as enemies that are not created via the enemy editor) are not allowed.
    I'd like an exception added to this: Bosses should be able to 'split' upon death into other bosses (albeit with the same graphic), to create bosses that have stages of combat (for example, an Aquamentus that shoots fireballs is defeated, 'dies', and splits into one Aquamentus that shoots swords instead).

EDIT: Bummer, it doesn't look like you can set death behavior for bosses. ARGH!

Spoiler: show
    I've got a really cool idea for the Ganon fight which will require the ability for bosses to change into other bosses.
    Spoiler: show
    The battle starts with Ganon floating around the center, surrounded by 8 flames (Manhandla 2). When the flames are extinguished, he vanishes and reappears on the right side of the screen, firing swords (Aquamentus). Beat him there and he switches to the left side of the screen (Aquamentus again). If you beat him THERE, then he moves to the top of the screen and, with the Triforce of Power hovering in front of him, sends streams of fire across the room (Gleeok 2 w/One head). Finally, if you beat him at this point he turns invisible, floating around the room launching fireballs until you wound him and shoot him with the Silver Arrow (Ganon).
    Last edited by CJC; 08-08-2013 at 02:13 AM.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.7%
    Quote Originally Posted by CJC View Post
    Bummer, it doesn't look like you can set death behavior for bosses. ARGH!
    That's where scripting is handy. I can write you a script that spawns an enemy(boss) when a boss dies.

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by SUCCESSOR View Post
    That's where scripting is handy. I can write you a script that spawns an enemy(boss) when a boss dies.
    Could said script prevent the boss from dropping its item until the chain of fights has been completed? (Actually, it probably could if an invisible intangible enemy was included on screen and only killed when the final boss is slain).
    I did see LoadNPC in the documentation (it appears to function based on enemy ID), but I wasn't sure how I was going to check if the previous stage had been defeated yet. I'm also worried that if I script a boss swap the first one will drop the Big Triforce before the second one spawns (or is that something only the Ganon enemy type can do?)

My other thought was the classic boss stage trick, wherein the boss triggers secrets that turn the floor into pit warps that transport the player to the next phase of the boss. That probably falls under the umbrella of cutscene though.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. I suppose the first step I should take is plotting out the map layout of the dungeons with empty rooms. I guess I was focusing on enemies/bosses so early because I want to compress the tiles into as tight a space as possible (it's so elegant that fourth quest only uses two pages of tiles; it must really save on file space).

Developer
    ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    45.65%
    Quote Originally Posted by SUCCESSOR View Post
    Doesn't @jman2050 poke his head around every now and then?

What tiles are there in the Demo Tileset? Personally I think editing the palette would be okay if it stayed within the same number of colors. I don't know how anyone else feels about that.
    sup

I started the 4th quest contest and attempted to judge it but I wasn't up to the task. I *think* either _L_ or DarkDragon ultimately decided the winner of the contest, but my memory is hazy.

Actually thinking about it now I should still have all the entries archived somewhere on this PC...
    AGN's Resident Zelda Classic Developer and Sonic the Hedgehog Fanboy

Thread Information