0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    14.77%

old stuff, Glenn, etc

---
    Last edited by Liliith; 10-04-2023 at 12:31 AM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    16.44%
    Quote Originally Posted by Majora View Post
    AGN is dead. Literally, only like five people use it. It took a death to bring back some of the old ghosts that used to haunt this place. It is done. This site is in the dead middle of winter (you know, that whole analogy "the autumn of my years"). R.I.P. AGN.

There's also no fun allowed. No one's allowed to be an asshole any more.
    And you are one of the proud five! But seriously, we don't want total assholes because if this site is going to continue to regain more frequent posters then we don't want to constantly see people trolled in every thread they post in. That said, this thread was created to reminisce about the positive memories of AGN so let's keep it there ok?

I joined back in 2004 and didn't really become very active for a while after that so I also missed some of the big events like the AGN convention (was it just the one or were there more?). I also don't know anyone personally on here. I know there are quite a few members here who grew up together or met each other IRL at some point. I used to read a lot of old posts to figure out personalities here, especially in General Bitching and Ask Someone Who Gets Laid (I think you were looking for that one). Some of the old threads were just hilarious!

I am glad to be back as an active member now though. It's tough without seeing all the regulars from my early days, and there were a lot of good ones, but people's lives change. I am on here at least every other day typically so I can keep up with what's going on and I totally get why people don't come back. It's not that they don't want to, they just move on to different parts of their lives. It's still nice though that many people come back and still call AGN their home.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.7%
    It's just like a woman to start off a conversation like she's breaking up with you... I kinda skimmed, @Liliith (btw would you like a name change? The extra i is slowly causing a terminal aneurism behind my left eye) so I was confused by a lot of the stuff about Glenn. Also much of my personal experiences of AGN history were burnt up in a cloud of marijuana smoke and drown in a sea of alcohol so I won't be much help there. I'll try I guess.

Most of the people you mentioned haven't been seen in ages. Was there a @Daarkseid sighting? I personally have been hoping for him to come back.

Ask Someone Who Gets Laid which was Ask a Dominatrix after the virgins running it were fired. Wasn't that you?

General Bitching was retired (again). We have The Veldt now and it serves the same purpose and more.

My Internet Atheism brings all the boys to the yard.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    92.51%
    Quote Originally Posted by Liliith View Post
    Another reason is I don't think I have much in common with anyone here, because I gradually got the impression that most of AGN is really country.
    Interesting. Is that another way of saying AGN's bible belt shows? The closest I get to country is my container garden behind my condo and Johnny Cash in my mp3's and I know there are other city mice on the forums.

- everyone's Internet Atheism
    Who is this "everyone" of which you speak? And how is Internet Atheism different from atheism and do I need both to avoid being raptured or can I get by with the garden-variety atheism I picked up as a kid?
    "The public is wonderfully tolerant. It forgives everything except genius."

Glenn the Great: I just think I'd be happier as a pretty lesbian girl.

"Live and Let Live" is an excellent, tree-hugging philosophy, but it doesn't do much when the ones you refuse to kill are dragging you down with them.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    63.38%
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercy View Post
    Who is this "everyone" of which you speak? And how is Internet Atheism different from atheism and do I need both to avoid being raptured or can I get by with the garden-variety atheism I picked up as a kid?
    Atheism is not subject to just one philosophy, or one reason for it. In China, for instance, atheism is common, but they still tend to believe in things like spirits and supernatural phenomena. "Internet Atheism" is probably referring to the tendency for some people on the internet to think that not believing in a deity makes them a high intellect, often ranking themselves superior to anyone who has any religious beliefs.

Personally, I think you have to be careful about lumping anyone who posts on the internet and happens to be atheist with that sort of mindset.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.7%
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarchy_Balsac View Post
    Atheism is not subject to just one philosophy, or one reason for it. In China, for instance, atheism is common, but they still tend to believe in things like spirits and supernatural phenomena. "Internet Atheism" is probably referring to the tendency for some people on the internet to think that not believing in a deity makes them a high intellect, often ranking themselves superior to anyone who has any religious beliefs.

Personally, I think you have to be careful about lumping anyone who posts on the internet and happens to be atheist with that sort of mindset.
    Actually atheism has one specific meaning. It is not a collection of philosophies. It doesn't mean you do not believe in the supernatural. Also what you think of as "Internet Atheist" is probably the most offensive thing in this post.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.24%
    Achievements It's over 9000!
    - ASWGL / asswiggle (what did this stand for)
    Ask Someone Who Gets Laid

carrotred (did she die?)
    Yes, in a car accident. I was pretty sad.

- me being the town bicycle
    I was secretly into you, even though you creeped me out. I never said anything. I was such a crazy moron back then in general, I'm not even sure you should take that as a compliment. :)

I read some of my old AGN posts and had a 12 hour existential crisis about what a dork I am.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    63.38%
    Quote Originally Posted by SUCCESSOR View Post
    Actually atheism has one specific meaning. It is not a collection of philosophies. It doesn't mean you do not believe in the supernatural. Also what you think of as "Internet Atheist" is probably the most offensive thing in this post.
    I agree, it does have one meaning. That, in a way was the point. However, there is a perception that atheists all approach their atheism in one way, and that they all subscribe to one mindset. As for internet atheism, I am well aware that quite a few on the internet are not like that, but a lot of people think that it's how all atheists who post on the internet are. So believe me, I meant absolutely no offense. I was kind of trying to downplay the perception, in fact.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    93.35%
    Atheism is just that: atheism. There's nothing extra tacked onto it. Atheism is simply "lacking a belief in god(s)".

HOWEVER, it has entered the vernacular to hold a different meaning with all sorts of baggage attached by association. The kinds of people who use "atheist" disparagingly probably don't often pick up or care for a dictionary.

The kinds of atheists I've seen are the militant (both hostile and not-hostile) types (you know, the kinds that PERSECUTE all those poor christians with WORDS and in some cases BOOKS or SEMINARS. War Crime courts will be on their asses about it I'm sure), and those who lack fortitude ("hey man just respect everyone's beliefs"). Others who aren't theist are some variant of spiritual or entirely agnostic. (i.e. useless hippies)

Some people go too far with the whole "i'm better than you" complex (as people are prone to do regardless of the situation/context) but I'm inclined to wonder if someone is taking the "political correctness" BS a little too far to not see an issue with people who blindly follow an arbitrary set of mythology and stop at nothing, psychologically, to force facts to conform to the mythology in question, and at all costs shut down any communication should they be encouraged to ask questions.

This tells me that ideas have more rights than people and that "offending" someone or challenging their beliefs is, for some ludicrous reason, an event that merits punishment/censorship. If people can't stand their beliefs being challenged, then maybe they should find beliefs that inspire way more confidence in them.

And there's my quota for "internet atheism".

How many licks to get to the center Chris Miller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37.91%
    I remember that Ask a Dominatrix forum very well. Some of the stuff was pretty funny back then. I remember one particular thread about an...ear. That's all I'll say, lol.

As for Jigglysaint, haven't seen him around here or PureZC. He is still around the romhacking community somewhat. You might catch him on romhacking.net or similar if you're lucky.

zcn, Daarkseid, kenage, TSA...I've seen neither hide nor hair of them anywhere. They seem to have dropped off the internet entirely.

Also, what avatar was that? I forgot. :3
    Last edited by Chris Miller; 10-16-2013 at 02:47 AM.

Download Lands of Serenity today! You will be knocked comatose by its sheer awesomeness.
    The Titan's Quest, best played in the bathroom as the excitement can be somewhat...overwhelming.

Official AGN Discord Channel

Official ZC Dev Discord Channel

Thread Information