User Tag List

View Poll Results: What should it be called?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Final Fantasy Classic

26 70.27%
  • Final Fantasy Regenesis

0 0%
  • Final Fantasy Catastrophe

2 5.41%
  • A play on words like "Beginning Reality" or something...

5 13.51%
  • Other (Don't use FF in the title)

4 10.81%
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy Classic?

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.16%
    Looks like "FF Classic" is the most popular. I hope that name isn't misleading people to think it is an exact clone of FF1 or it is "the FF version of ZC"; that is not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Janus View Post
    How classic are you thinking? NES era, or SNES era?
    Something in-between the early games with more modern graphics capabilities. (I don't mean higher resolution game sprites or anything, just that it supports it, along with pixel shaders and arbitrary resolutions, etc. ..The "FF1 remake" will probably just default to a viewport of 320x240)

Here's an old shot of the overworld map which I am using the original graghics for (I like them anyway:)). -I wrote an algorithm that can convert an image to tiles and create a single-layer map of it from the tileset, so 95% of the mapping is done with a few clicks. :)

This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    42.31%
    Looks awesome-ing!
    My Quotes and other siggy stuff.
    *Bar-Buddies updates whenever-also can email comics upon request*
    MP:89
    Playing: Final Fantasy XIV

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    1.37%
    I'm curious if it will be possible to create 'wandering' enemies, like Omega from FFV. Combined with enemy spawn points, like the snake pits from the pyramid dungeon in that same game, it might be interesting to make an FF style game that doesn't have random 'invisible' encounters.

...It might end up somewhat like the first Blue Dragon, actually. But that's not a bad thing.

It's looking good so far, though. I'm already very excited about this project.

Also, in terms of competition with the swarm of remakes, I don't believe it will be as big a problem as it seems. Most FF remakes at this point are using three-dimensional graphic capabilities, so this is more of a throwback than anything else.

OH! Terminal Legend! That's a great name too!
    [Bizarre Brain Train]
    When Pepsi made that soda that was suppose to be the equivalent of Coca-cola's classic, they called it the 'throwback'. I hated the name, because it sounded like a fish that was too small to keep in the boat, ya know? There was something inherently wrong about it. So I though about synonyms for classic that would be more competitive, and I came up with "Pepsi Legend: The Pepsi of the Golden Age".
    So in general, throwbacks should become legends. Otherwise you have "The Throwback of Zelda"! : P
    [/Bizarre Brain Train]

Anyway, you've already picked the name, so I was just blathering there. Sorry.

Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.16%
    Whoa, looks like we're rolling now. :eyespop:

Thanks everybody for the positive support. My main focus right now is getting a source code repository together, and pooling together what resources are available and getting a feel for where I'm at with everything.
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

クールな男
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    96.78%
    Gleeok I'm sure you've got plenty of sources, but if you need ANY tiles from any of the early Final Fantasy's throw me a line. I've been ripping them like crazy for Shattered Earth and will gladly share. This is looking fantastic!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    88.66%
    ZC...FFC...

This is going to get confusing real quick, isn't it? Anyways, I like this idea. Could we have scripting support from the start this time, though?

Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.16%
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterSwordUltima View Post
    Gleeok I'm sure you've got plenty of sources, but if you need ANY tiles from any of the early Final Fantasy's throw me a line. I've been ripping them like crazy for Shattered Earth and will gladly share. This is looking fantastic!
    Sweet. Thanks! :) I will probably do so later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Moosh View Post
    ZC...FFC...

This is going to get confusing real quick, isn't it? Anyways, I like this idea. Could we have scripting support from the start this time, though?
    ..To be honest I did not think that far ahead. >_<

..So your saying you want FFC scripting then?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    88.66%
    Quote Originally Posted by Gleeok View Post
    ..So your saying you want FFC scripting then?
    That pun hurt me...and the worst part is I set myself up for it completely. So when I think about it, scripting might not be needed at all provided FFC has a complex enough event editor for both in the field and in battle. Since Final Fantasy is a lot less dynamic than Zelda, I suppose it should be treated as a completely different beast from a level editor standpoint.

Armageddon Task Manager

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    12.09%
    The faster you release this, the faster I can play it. Just in case you didn't know.

<SUCCESSOR> Its Shadowblazer's dark essence invading the forums

Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.16%
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosh View Post
    That pun hurt me...and the worst part is I set myself up for it completely. So when I think about it, scripting might not be needed at all provided FFC has a complex enough event editor for both in the field and in battle. Since Final Fantasy is a lot less dynamic than Zelda, I suppose it should be treated as a completely different beast from a level editor standpoint.
    No way. Believe it or not it is more dynamic in a lot of ways. It has to combine real-time, event and data driven programming, strongly integrated but flexable scripting with item, effect, inventory, menu management. maps, cameras, sprites, etc.. Everything is also "dynamic".
    Your welcome to suggest things for the scripting language as well. I have a *lot* done so far. I'll try and get a script design/reference thread soon so I can get feedback.

Anyways. Everyone welcome @Flash Man to the team. He's gonna put together a more complete editor framework for it and help out with various design stuff!

We'll have a source code repository with some content in it shortly so stay tuned. -- Anybody have any problems with GPL as the license?
    Last edited by ctrl-alt-delete; 12-10-2012 at 11:35 PM.

Thread Information