User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 5th: First Week (Miller, Nightmare, CJC)

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.98%

5th: First Week (Miller, Nightmare, CJC)

Alrighty Quest Players Club, we have before us a tremendous task! While everybody else will be sampling this and that during the 5th quest contest, we will be playing EVERY quest that gets posted in the 5th Quest Contest forum between October 5th and November 5th, AND we'll be trying our best to get to the ends of these quests.

That being said, we'll begin our rounds with the first three quests to be submitted:
    Chris Miller's 5th
    5thNightmare
    and CJC5th.

It's difficult to put a schedule on these things because they are SO difficult (also, we are in the exact middle of the Fall semester), so this thread will be an anchor ground to post experiences within these three quests until the judging has ended.

I DO (however) recommend playing all three simultaneously so that if you become frustrated in one, you can continue without becoming completely enraged. If possible, try to beat one dungeon per week.
    Last edited by CJC; 11-04-2013 at 05:51 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    62.27%
    They are 2.5 version, right?

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.71%
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashie View Post
    They are 2.5 version, right?
    Yes all submissions will be for version 2.5. A person COULD design their quest in a previous version BUT it will be tested in 2.5 and any bugs that may come up from incompatibilities will be counted against the overall quality of the entry. The winning quest is going to be packaged with 2.5 after all.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.72%

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nightmarejames YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/nightmarejames

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:
    Completed: Zelda NES Remastered, Demo 1st Quest, Demo 2nd Quest, James Quest: Remastered (V 2.1), Memorial Quest, New Quest 2 2015. New Quest: Rebuilt
    In development: Demo SP, James Quest: Remastered (V 3.0)t, 6QI

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    62.27%
    Quote Originally Posted by SUCCESSOR View Post
    Yes all submissions will be for version 2.5. A person COULD design their quest in a previous version BUT it will be tested in 2.5 and any bugs that may come up from incompatibilities will be counted against the overall quality of the entry. The winning quest is going to be packaged with 2.5 after all.
    Oh ok just make sure.

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.98%
    Just a quick overview of the progress I've made so far.

Chris Miller's 5th

Started this about ten days (...maybe) when he mentioned it in the Quest Discussion forums. I've made it through the first four dungeons, but I'm not sure where to look for Dungeon 5 (there was no hint within Dungeon 4, at least as far as I could find). The quest is paced well and is enjoyable to play. It would work well as a follow-up to 4th quest.

5thNightmare

I let the ease of the first dungeon lull me into a sense of security in this quest, despite the walk-through walls. The truth is, this quest is crazy difficult. I've been playing it for about a month now (since Nightmare made it available in the Quest Discussion forums), and every dungeon is significantly harder than the previous. By Dungeon 4 it becomes a trial of patience and come Dungeon 5 the quest gets so difficult it is a test of sanity just to keep playing. Buy keys for this one, folks, and find the Wallet quickly (it's under an Armos in the Death Mountain region, FYI).
    I'm currently in Dungeon 7, wandering around trying to accumulate money for the Magic Boomerang. The quest is definitely a spiritual successor to 3rd quest, further clawing at the skills of the player.

CJC5th

This quest is the best and clearly should be the winner. And that statement is not biased at all! Heh, just kidding!
    My quest has a rough difficulty spike in the beginning, but eases up as the player progresses and attempts to stay relatively fair throughout. During the quest you must choose between extra Heart Containers and exceptional equipment (the first choice becomes available after Dungeon 4, with the option of a Heart Container or the Letter). To make these choices the player must brave a gauntlet associated with a previous dungeon... specifically the dungeon 3 maps back. It is beneficial to pay any informant for all three bits of advice, and purchasing a key or two wouldn't hurt (one must be acquired to finish Level 1, and you'll need at least 5 extra keys to get through Level 8).
    Every dungeon has at least two entrances, by the way (except for Ganon's lair, which has only one).
    I'm an author. If you're interested in checking out my works, you can find them on Amazon.com:

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.72%
    Quote Originally Posted by CJC View Post
    Just a quick overview of the progress I've made so far.

5thNightmare

I let the ease of the first dungeon lull me into a sense of security in this quest, despite the walk-through walls. The truth is, this quest is crazy difficult. I've been playing it for about a month now (since Nightmare made it available in the Quest Discussion forums), and every dungeon is significantly harder than the previous. By Dungeon 4 it becomes a trial of patience and come Dungeon 5 the quest gets so difficult it is a test of sanity just to keep playing. Buy keys for this one, folks, and find the Wallet quickly (it's under an Armos in the Death Mountain region, FYI).
    I'm currently in Dungeon 7, wandering around trying to accumulate money for the Magic Boomerang. The quest is definitely a spiritual successor to 3rd quest, further clawing at the skills of the player.
    Funny you say that, AlphaDawg and I played each others' work a lot.

-James

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nightmarejames YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/nightmarejames

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:
    Completed: Zelda NES Remastered, Demo 1st Quest, Demo 2nd Quest, James Quest: Remastered (V 2.1), Memorial Quest, New Quest 2 2015. New Quest: Rebuilt
    In development: Demo SP, James Quest: Remastered (V 3.0)t, 6QI

How many licks to get to the center Chris Miller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37.93%
    There's a clue in Level 4, CJC. You just have to look a bit more. :3

Download Lands of Serenity today! You will be knocked comatose by its sheer awesomeness.
    The Titan's Quest, best played in the bathroom as the excitement can be somewhat...overwhelming.

Official AGN Discord Channel

Official ZC Dev Discord Channel

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.98%
    5thNightmare
    Found a bug. Dungeon 7, Screen 41. You enter a room with perma-jinx item bubbles and the shutter closes behind you. Though you can push one of the blocks, it neither opens the door nor reveals a staircase. The player is left with no choice but to end the game through the escape menu.

EDIT: Screen 71 has the exact same bug. No walk-through walls, no staircase, no opening shutter.
    Last edited by CJC; 10-21-2013 at 08:51 PM.

Octorok
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    4.82%
    I think it's very ironic of Nightmare to give the boomerang that early

Thread Information