vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.69%

6th Quest Invitational

@TK8305 , @bigjoe , @Gleeok

Drafting the rules again:

1. You may not change the Overworld unless it's to show a secret or a level.
    2. Underworld, feel free. Change the graphics if you please. No color restrictions either.
    3. Scripting allowed, try to keep it in the spirit of Zelda and the NES.
    4. New enemy tiles allowed, but must fit an NES theme.
    5. This is unfortunately a must. You MUST use a custom soundtrack. A lot of people are getting into copyright trouble, so it is now required that there is replacements to the NES Zelda tunes. Go to http://www.vgmusic.com if you need to download new tunes.
    6. Your difficulty should start at 2nd Quest level and be no harder than 3rd Quest's. It has to be hard, but innovative at the same time. If it's James Quest level, it's probably at the absolute hardest it should be.
    7. No maze paths in the Underworld, and you may not change the Maze Paths in the Overworld.
    8. You are allowed to make cosmetic changes to enemies (like new colors for grave Ghinis, or new colors for the old same colored Octorocks)
    9. New enemies should be featured within and showcased. No Kaizo Enemies like Death Knights.
    10. You must have 9 normal levels, 10 levels tops. Uses for a 10th level could be a bonus level, a hidden level at the end of Level 9, or Level 9 is a preparation for Level 10. Absolutely not required to have a 10th level.
    11. Quest Rules: Keep in spirit of the NES, fast scrolling allowed, multiple strings allowed. No advanced things like screen wipes. All NES bugs must be present. Level 3 color difference not required.
    12. This is a requirement: You should put some custom-palettes if you're not using anything but classic tiles. No one likes clones and copy and paste these days: Play around with the colors and create new sets. (using First Quest palette numbers): 4/6, 5/7, 8/9 likely candidates
    13. TEST FOR BUGS! Buggy quests will not be considered.
    14. Whistle Warps not required, especially if making difficulty levels. If you don't have Whistle Warps the whirlwind MUST take you back to the Overworld beginning.
    15. Everyone is responsible for making a playthrough of their quest on YouTube. Judges don't have time to play them all, so this is mandatory this time!!!!!!
    16. Init Data MUST be the default, like a new game on the NES. May allow starting off with the Blue Candle as an init item, but if you do that it may not burn bushes and you need to have 2 candle upgrades, and the Red Candle must replace the Blue Candle in item shops.
    17. Entrances and Triforce rooms must resemble Zelda 1. Everything else is OK to change
    18. Easy Mode is mandatory for everyone now. The deadline for it will be during the testing/revision phase.

Some cool things that will be allowed:
    Title Screens (but no cutscenes)
    Difficulty Levels
    ROMhack style enemies (once again within reason, speeds faster than the NES allowed, no things like Death Knights: Try to keep walk speeds at 100 or less)
    Startup dialog for dungeons, mentioning dungeon name, etc.
    Extended enemy palettes
    Upgrades to existing items
    LA Slash if given like Imzogelmo's 5th (where you get it via upgrade room and not at start)
    Same goes for Spinning Sword Slash, is allowed, but you're not allowed to start with it
    Selection for both buttons
    Trees and other overworld titles in dungeons (if you want to theme things)
    Wallets and other new items allowed (like expansions to memory)
    Hammer/Hookshot (only if given in later levels, like 7/8/9, can be quite broken)
    Bomb Bags that replace More Bombs rooms
    Super Bombs (though you must have a way to regenerate them eventually)
    Custom Guys (if you need the script let me know)
    Recolored enemies in the Overworld if a new power table is introduced
    BS-Zelda Power Table
    Multiple entrances for dungeons
    Multiple floors for dungeons

Some things NOT allowed:
    Infinite Bomb Bags/Rupee collection/anything of this like that violates the spirit of the NES
    Lens of Truth
    Fire Boomerang (just breaks the game way too much, but a custom Lv. 3 Boomerang might be allowed that doesn't have those features. If you REALLY want to stun Darknuts and Wizzrobes that bad change their values, or add a Hookshot)
    True Arrows (no, NES does it by Rupees)
    Magic Meter (not allowed under ANY circumstance!!!!!!!!!!)

I'll add to this list as things come up. Feel free to contact me if you have questions or want to join (though spots are limited and I might require you to make a sample level before I approve you)

Discord Server for this: https://discord.gg/8RrvzSW

-James
    Last edited by Nightmare; 06-14-2017 at 06:06 AM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.69%
    Added a few clarifications from conversations today.

In essence, mostly along the lines of allowing more dungeon freedom and item freedom, and banning things that break NES rules.

@Imzogelmo , @Questwizard88 , tagging you two too

Edit: New Quest Rebuilt Alpha 1 out, featuring all the 1.90 rebuilt colors. If you want your 1.90 colors back, I highly suggest participating in this beta test, because then the faster I can overlay the colors into example_1st.qst and get it out to people

-James
    Last edited by Nightmare; 04-27-2017 at 03:59 AM.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nightmarejames YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/nightmarejames

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:
    Completed: Zelda NES Remastered, Demo 1st Quest, Demo 2nd Quest, James Quest: Remastered (V 2.1), Memorial Quest, New Quest 2 2015. New Quest: Rebuilt
    In development: Demo SP, James Quest: Remastered (V 3.0)t, 6QI

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    23.44%
    I'll revamp my 5th quest and enter that. It's very unique with some subtle scripts and some tricky puzzles so I think it might be worth playing for people that like challenging-type NES quests. Why not? :)
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    23.44%
    Anybody up for an actual 6th quest contest, or something similar?
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Octorok
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    22.64%
    I might be game to submit something. After playing most of the 5th quest entries and reading the numerous reviews, I think I have a good idea of what this community likes/appreciates. Of course, it's been years since I've messed around with ZQuest, but I anticipate having a chunk of free time this summer that I might like to put to use here. If there's going to be a one-month (or similar) deadline I'm probably out, but if there are loose deadlines I think I'll be down for this.

At the very least, I'll certainly be happy to play any/most of the 6th quest submissions.

EDIT - I just looked/browsed around, and I'm pretty sure I never played (or saw) your quest, Gleeok. Any chance you have an available link to it? No worries if you'd prefer to wait/save it for the 6th.

Here lies mero. Died by his own dumbassitude.
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    13.96%
    @Gleeok

'
    Seriously though, i would rather see new quest along the lines of what saffith did in his classic quest then have a official 6th quest

Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    23.44%
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboylink View Post
    EDIT - I just looked/browsed around, and I'm pretty sure I never played (or saw) your quest, Gleeok. Any chance you have an available link to it? No worries if you'd prefer to wait/save it for the 6th.
    Hi. I did make a 5th quest but I didn't enter it because there were already over a dozen entries--it was crazy how much support we got for it! In addition, it was better to not enter it so I could remain non biased in judging entries and just concentrate my efforts on running the contest.

I'm going to release it as a 6th quest though so no worries. This will either give me a chance to 'fix' some of the craziness I have a habit of doing when making quests, or, what sometimes happens is I just end up making it more insane.... we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamamo View Post
    @Gleeok
    Seriously though, i would rather see new quest along the lines of what saffith did in his classic quest then have a official 6th quest
    Other options are just as welcome.

The Timelord
    QDB Manager
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    68.7%
    I'm not sure that an 'official 6th quest' is a very good idea. What we need, are a set of new default quests that use open assets, not another baggage quest to support in a Zelda.pack.dat collection of sequentially numbered quests, and bizarre how-to-get-there rules and passphrases that might need to change based on the .dat pack...

OTOH, Any contests to promote new quests that are similar in theme to 1st/2nd (difficulty, and gameplay) that use a collection of open assets are probably good ideas. After we have an official Open1st.qst / Open2nd.qst, we could then have contests to make new 3rd, 4th, and 5th entries for it, but I'm not sure that such things are warranted. (I'd rather give more freedom to the Quest Number than what we now have, by allowing the questmaker to pick a skip-to-name and other such nonsense, and to allow forwarding various elements from one quest, to the next in a series.)

These are the audio assets thus far. I could certainly use some help with selection, and filling in the blanks. Feel free to have a contest for new music, graphics, or any other original content. That would indeed be helpful.

Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    23.44%
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoriaRPG View Post
    I'm not sure that an 'official 6th quest' is a very good idea. What we need, are a set of new default quests that use open assets, not another baggage quest to support in a Zelda.pack.dat collection of sequentially numbered quests, and bizarre how-to-get-there rules and passphrases that might need to change based on the .dat pack...

OTOH, Any contests to promote new quests that are similar in theme to 1st/2nd (difficulty, and gameplay) that use a collection of open assets are probably good ideas. After we have an official Open1st.qst / Open2nd.qst, we could then have contests to make new 3rd, 4th, and 5th entries for it, but I'm not sure that such things are warranted. (I'd rather give more freedom to the Quest Number than what we now have, by allowing the questmaker to pick a skip-to-name and other such nonsense, and to allow forwarding various elements from one quest, to the next in a series.)

These are the audio assets thus far. I could certainly use some help with selection, and filling in the blanks. Feel free to have a contest for new music, graphics, or any other original content. That would indeed be helpful.
    Besides Neo-first, there were other kinds of new-first ideas that were thrown around in the past. Problem is complexity goes up... and up and up. For example; you'd need tilesets, scripts, custom resources, etc., which is cool, but then the amount of work it takes to create it goes up exponentially to the point where it's not feasible for one person to be able to make. Thus, we enter into the realm of community quests. In theory, this would be pretty great, but it hasn't worked out so well in practice... yet, anyways.

The Timelord
    QDB Manager
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    68.7%
    Quote Originally Posted by Gleeok View Post
    Besides Neo-first, there were other kinds of new-first ideas that were thrown around in the past. Problem is complexity goes up... and up and up. For example; you'd need tilesets, scripts, custom resources, etc., which is cool, but then the amount of work it takes to create it goes up exponentially to the point where it's not feasible for one person to be able to make. Thus, we enter into the realm of community quests. In theory, this would be pretty great, but it hasn't worked out so well in practice... yet, anyways.

Eh? Were you not involved in the conversation regarding the need for an open assets pack, and I was effectively stuck with the job to put it all together?

At present, we have permission to use Koten, and to modify it; and a potential new gfx pack from another contributor (WIP), some music, loose sprites for Koten (to replace the Link tiles and some npcs), and an audio pack that I have been gathering from open sound libraries. Once this is all in a presentable format, we will need to utterly replace 1st-5th.qst in the open source domain, so that our .dat files do not contain infringing materials: Essentially, wholly new default internal quests.

Thread Information