User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Kinda late to watching popular shows.

On top of the world ShadowTiger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    60.28%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

Kinda late to watching popular shows.

My family has always been a heaping pile of awkward social recluses, opting to maximize the cost-saving vs entertainment-reaping abilities wherever possible. We don't have cable because we never watch anything interesting, and we don't have spectacular phone plans because we never call anyone and nobody ever calls us. ... ... nerds.

So we've never really seen any of the mainstream shows. I only recently begun watching three shows that it turns out I really, really enjoy: Doctor Who, True Blood, and Dexter. I finished every episode of the Doctor Who series that begun in 2005, watched the first four seasons of True Blood, and just finished the first two seasons of Dexter. I think I started watching Dexter from the beginning two days ago, in fact.

Definitely enjoying myself here. I love how Dexter reminds me a lot of Death Note for some reason, how True Blood always seems so dire and yet has an ability to poke fun at things here and there and keep things just light enough from tipping over into something truly dark, and how Doctor Who seems to have the opposite effect - how the Doctor remains upbeat almost constantly, no matter how truly dismal their situation truly is. I mean, he's just a general badass sometimes.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    92.94%
    Brother? Seriously, we are a like-minded household. The having an internet connection makes having cable redundant anyway. I admit, I miss lazy Sunday afternoons of having the Discovery Channel, Nat' Geo', or History Channel running documentaries all day but I get the impression falserealiity shows have mostly destroyed those channels. We have two PBS stations and a third public broadcast station so I still get to watch random docu's, Nova, and the like without paying the cable monster.

I have been saving Dexter and True Blood until they wrapped up so I can watch them all at my pace. It is probably a good time to add Dexter to the queue. Against my better judgement, we just got into watching Enterprise a couple of weeks ago. It looks great. Less than half-way through and I am having to remind myself that Star Trek TOS was riddled with plot holes and ridiculous scenarios. Why must the captain head so many away crews? Ditto for the chief engineer? And for the love reasonable safety, what happened to the buddy system in the future? Never Split Up The Party!

Continuum and Almost Human are the only new shows on my must-watch list. The former is a Canadian production although I think sify is showing it. Those crazy Canucks had another series, Odyssey 5, starring Peter Weller that was fun until it ended too soon. I highly recommend the British series, Life On Mars, and its sequel, Ashes To Ashes for an all around great show that wraps up nicely. There was a US version of LOM with Harvey Keitel that was a good attempt to recreate without repeating but the British version has better character development.
    "The public is wonderfully tolerant. It forgives everything except genius."

Glenn the Great: I just think I'd be happier as a pretty lesbian girl.

"Live and Let Live" is an excellent, tree-hugging philosophy, but it doesn't do much when the ones you refuse to kill are dragging you down with them.

クールな男
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    96.68%
    Nig, wait until you start Breaking Bad.

On top of the world ShadowTiger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    60.28%
    Achievements It's over 9000!
    True. I have not the foggiest idea why I am putting that off.

クールな男
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    96.68%
    The fact that there is a very impressive (and accurate) fan-made Lego video game styled parody of Breaking Bad is a testament alone. The Netflix numbers should also push down on the scales a bit.

Karate guys for cash. Aegix Drakan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    35.67%
    I am supremely behind on EVERYTHING. Even things that are REALLY old by now. Mostly because I've never been a TV person. Even less so now. I haven't followed ANY TV series in years. Not Game of Thrones, not Breaking bad, not walking dead, nothing. :s

In fact, my girlfriend and I seem to have this recurring thing going on:
    Her: "Goes on about how awesome show X was* Man, do you remember that scene when *x happens*
    Me: I....never watched that show/Movie
    Her: *freezes* Wait...What?! How could you have missed out on that?!
    Me: I...Had a sheltered childhood. It was just Pokemon, power rangers and video games. In high school it was video games and english dubbed anime...
    Her: WE MUST RECTIFY THIS IMMEDIATELY. TO NETFLIX/THE INTERNET!
    *repeat next week for something different*

We did this for Doctor Who, tons of movies, and more recently superhero cartoons and comics. She's a massive DC fan and is trying to suck me in too. ;_; She's already made me into a huge Flash fan.
    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez
    AGN is not meant for people who have lives. Come back home, turn the lights off and stare in awe at the glow that comes from the monitor.
    Do you enjoy challenging RPGs? Do you enjoy dark storylines? You'll like my game. Go on, it's not very long.
    You can download my game for free right here!
    Feedback on it would be nice. It'll help with future projects.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.93%
    Quote Originally Posted by Aegix Drakan View Post
    I am supremely behind on EVERYTHING. Even things that are REALLY old by now. Mostly because I've never been a TV person. Even less so now. I haven't followed ANY TV series in years. Not Game of Thrones, not Breaking bad, not walking dead, nothing. :s

In fact, my girlfriend and I seem to have this recurring thing going on:
    Her: "Goes on about how awesome show X was* Man, do you remember that scene when *x happens*
    Me: I....never watched that show/Movie
    Her: *freezes* Wait...What?! How could you have missed out on that?!
    Me: I...Had a sheltered childhood. It was just Pokemon, power rangers and video games. In high school it was video games and english dubbed anime...
    Her: WE MUST RECTIFY THIS IMMEDIATELY. TO NETFLIX/THE INTERNET!
    *repeat next week for something different*

We did this for Doctor Who, tons of movies, and more recently superhero cartoons and comics. She's a massive DC fan and is trying to suck me in too. ;_; She's already made me into a huge Flash fan.
    You and I are alike. I hardly watched anything till I met my current significant other, not movies, not tv. I've just never been into it. Netflix and TPB have changed that quite a bit. Though before that we did borrow movies and tv show dvds from libraries here and there. We started catching up with True Blood from library collections.

Shows I've caught(or started to) up on True Blood, Breaking Bad, Heroes, Sons of Anarchy, Dexter(on season 2), Weeds, Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Obnoxious Liberal Mother, Supernatural, Roswell(season 1; It's like Twilight with aliens), Kyle XY(couple seasons, it started to get "meh.."), Six Feet Under(most of it, after the first couple seasons it started to sucks)... Maybe a few more.

Show's I've actually followed, Once Upon a Time, Orange is the New Black, Grimm, Helix(might not keep up it hasnt been that good), The Walking Dead, Game of Throne(i guess season 1 watch a catch up), Being Human, American Horror Story.

I enjoy following a good series now. I am still not much of a TV person, though I will have something interesting going on in the background while I am at the PC. It's usually something funny and brainless like Family Guy or any of it's spin offs.

tl;dr I said a lot of stuff.

Karate guys for cash. Aegix Drakan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    35.67%
    Quote Originally Posted by SUCCESSOR View Post
    tl;dr I said a lot of stuff.
    Best and most succinct tl;dr in the history of the internet.

I'm going to steal this. *grabs it and runs*
    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez
    AGN is not meant for people who have lives. Come back home, turn the lights off and stare in awe at the glow that comes from the monitor.
    Do you enjoy challenging RPGs? Do you enjoy dark storylines? You'll like my game. Go on, it's not very long.
    You can download my game for free right here!
    Feedback on it would be nice. It'll help with future projects.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.93%
    Quote Originally Posted by Aegix Drakan View Post
    Best and most succinct tl;dr in the history of the internet.

I'm going to steal this. *grabs it and runs*
    Mother$^&#er! BRING THAT BACK!

クールな男
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    96.68%
    See, I'd rather pay attention to this thread that fool's ball. Fool's ball is the devil!

Thread Information