User Tag List

Thread: So, upgrading sfx.dat (How do I do it!?)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    18.73%

So, upgrading sfx.dat (How do I do it!?)

http://armageddongames.net/showthrea...-sfx-dat-files

Kinda still wanting to have custom sfx.dat files updated to the latest format for use with 2.50 and/or 2.50.1
    Computer specifications:
    Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel Core i7 @ 2.66GHZ | Asus P6T Motherboard | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Integrated Sound | Nvidia Geforce 560 Ti 2048MB PCI-E | Corsair AX760 Power Supply | Thermaltake Armor+ MX case

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    82.73%
    I believe the .dat file is updated by using the .dat file as a parent directory and using the actual sound bits' name to point to them using the dat file...
    What I don't know, because I still haven't done this yet, is how or if those files would automatically show up in the ZQ menus just from putting their names in the .dat.
    I think that takes some more C coding to get that part done, however, I know that once a file is within the .dat file there are other ways to use them without having them listed in the menus in ZQ.
    Perhaps using a function like Game->PlaySound(customsoundbitnumhere) with if(Link->Action==Doings) after having the sound bits buried in the parent directory that the other bits are in.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    18.73%
    Quote Originally Posted by Zim View Post
    I believe the .dat file is updated by using the .dat file as a parent directory and using the actual sound bits' name to point to them using the dat file...
    What I don't know, because I still haven't done this yet, is how or if those files would automatically show up in the ZQ menus just from putting their names in the .dat.
    I think that takes some more C coding to get that part done, however, I know that once a file is within the .dat file there are other ways to use them without having them listed in the menus in ZQ.
    Perhaps using a function like Game->PlaySound(customsoundbitnumhere) with if(Link->Action==Doings) after having the sound bits buried in the parent directory that the other bits are in.
    What.. the HELL are you babbling about?

More seriously though, I want to play the Castle Haunt quests with the proper sound fx using the latest and most stable version of Zelda Classic. As noted in the other thread, ZC 2.10 randomly crashes on my computer, the display palette is easily corruptible under modern operating systems and it also has that midi bug where instruments get hung (Various people reported the midi bug when 2.10 came out). I forget what was wrong with 1.92 beta and older, but there were a few lesser issues with them and modern operating systems.
    Last edited by Nicholas Steel; 10-13-2013 at 12:26 PM.
    Computer specifications:
    Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel Core i7 @ 2.66GHZ | Asus P6T Motherboard | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Integrated Sound | Nvidia Geforce 560 Ti 2048MB PCI-E | Corsair AX760 Power Supply | Thermaltake Armor+ MX case

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    82.73%
    I wasn't even aware you were talking about a sfx file that already existed, I was talking about making a new one from scratch by using the .dat file to bury .wav files in to make a new set of sound files.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.7%
    Using SFX.dat may be a relic of the past. Your only hope may be to find another PC to run 2.10 or another version or try to figure out how new sfx.dat files differ from yours and see if you can make em match.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    18.73%
    Quote Originally Posted by Zim View Post
    I wasn't even aware you were talking about a sfx file that already existed, I was talking about making a new one from scratch by using the .dat file to bury .wav files in to make a new set of sound files.
    Yeah nah, the Castle Haunt quests made by Freedom include a custom sfx.dat file that is made by Freedom and really helps the quests immersion. Older Zelda Classic versions included (bundled with) a tool that lets you make sfx.dat files but all files output by those programs appear to be similarly incompatible with new versions of ZC and so I was kinda hoping a newer version of said program would be made :/
    Computer specifications:

Thread Information