5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    62.21%
    I pick NJF, because I never see heart piece or shield before. I think they are nice design for heart piece and shield.

Faith, Trust, and Sexydust. Lynker's Avatar
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    55.05%
    SUCCESSOR- The path is too straight. Also, why are there bushes behind the tree like that/ It looks strange. You could put them behind places unreachable, but you should make it look a little more natural, instead of just placed there. The ground details are spread very oddly too. Everything is on the right, and nothing is on the left. Also, NEVER put bushes on the edge of the screen like that. Players will walk straight into them and that's terrible. Same with the trees, unless there's something else blocking it on the screen to the left. A general rule of screendesigning is to make sure there is two tiles of walking space before anything solid comes into play. This gives the player room to move. Apply this to those trees in the top left, and the house near the bottom.

On the other hand, I love the palette and simplicity of it. I still voted for this, despite how much could be improved. Well done.

NJF- I like this screen's design. The colors are nice too! However (if you can walk on the area at the top of the mountain), it could be awkward. There's not much walking room and the player can get stuck on the diagonal mountain. The mountains are also miscolored. If you look at Lost Isle's mountains, the "new" mountain details are dark brown, not black. Also, Link's shield and the heart piece are colored oddly and look gross. I love the palette and the feel though. Also, well done!

The Artist Once Known As Old-Skool QDB Manager
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.03%
    I put bushes on my screen edges. Just because you walk into something on the other side doesn't mean you should *never* do it.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    55.05%
    Uhh...yes it does. Why would you want to walk in a bush, deforming gameplay? That's stupid.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.7%
    S
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynker View Post
    Uhh...yes it does. Why would you want to walk in a bush, deforming gameplay? That's stupid.
    Actually you can walk right off them anyway so it in no way deforms gameplay. And who's to say the bushes in my screen are solid?

@jared, let me remind you that SotW is meant to be fun. Critiques should not be overly negative. Your opinions on coloring and effects on gameplay are your opinions and not universal truth. Not all quest gameplay functions the same way and not everyone likes their tiles colored as per convention. We all appreciate your input but try to remember that there isn't one right way to design a screen and it is not a job its a hobby.

If you would like to talk more extensively of gameplay, coloring, and screen designing please make a topic in ZC Discussion so that SotW does not turn into a debate.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    55.05%
    It's just criticism. You don't need to follow it. And those are just the "general" rules of screendesigning. It's not like I'm pulling this stuff out of my ass.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.7%
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynker View Post
    It's just criticism. You don't need to follow it. And those are just the "general" rules of screendesigning. It's not like I'm pulling this stuff out of my ass.
    I think you are missing the point. SotW is not about criticizing peoples' work. You give your vote, your opinion and HAVE FUN. If you want to criticize screenshots make a thread in ZC Forums for that purpose. Over criticizing peoples work will discourage potential entrants. Keep it light; keep it positive. You can criticize my shot all you want, i don't care, but this isn't the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Example
    I feel the way you used the such and such mountains is not an improvement over such and such
    Quote Originally Posted by Example
    I think your screen needs some work and putting bushes against the edge of the screen is generally a bad idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Example
    You did this wrong. Never do this. You're gross!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    50.53%
    I agree with the majority. This isn't the place for criticism, as helpful such criticism could be, but I also find reading criticism on my work interesting and fun. But it's just not the place for it.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    55.05%
    Eh, it's whatever.

Thread Information