User Tag List

View Poll Results: What is your opinion of ZQuest Password Protection?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • I believe password protection should be removed

11 57.89%
  • I am indifferent to the presence of password protection

5 26.32%
  • I use passwords to protect my quest but it is a feature I can live without

3 15.79%
  • If password protection is no longer available I will cease utilizing ZQuest

0 0%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: [Poll]: Password Protection for Quests

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    93.35%
    Quote Originally Posted by CaRmAgE View Post
    I'm on board with removing it. I never really saw the point to the password system, anyway, when it's so easy to bypass.
    It gives me the right to dox someone so that I can go to their house and break their fucking shins with their arm after breaking it off for breaking into my quest by the International Law of GoFuckYourself.

*tips edgy fedora*

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.7%
    Quote Originally Posted by Gleeok View Post
    However, pretty much everyone would need to be on board with this, including the active community at purezc, not just the 10 people that voted so far.
    That seems like a pointless requirement when you yourself have stated how insignificant it would be to remove it and the decision to remove it in the first place was decided by a similarly small group of people.

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    23.44%
    Quote Originally Posted by SUCCESSOR View Post
    That seems like a pointless requirement when you yourself have stated how insignificant it would be to remove it and the decision to remove it in the first place was decided by a similarly small group of people.
    I'm not sure I'm understanding you here.

What I was basically saying is that if the ZC community would rather have a true open source development environment for ZC rather than keeping the idea that encryption is a big enough deal where it is preferred to keep it hidden, then I am totally on board with that. (I'm actually in favor of it for various reasons.) Last time it was brought up there was some resistance to the idea. At the end of the day I basically just do what the people want.

I'm pretty sure none of the other current devs would have any problems with this either. I suppose this might be becoming more of a "who's the goose" goose hunt.
    Last edited by Gleeok; 08-01-2015 at 11:56 PM.
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Gel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    54.84%
    At the end of the day I basically just do what the people want.
    And that's the way the cookie crumbles.
    Unfortunately dev's don't get to make all the choices (it's the consumers mostly).

BTW, no need for politics; we are all friends (or at least mutually beneficial acquaintances with similar views)- just say what comes to mind.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.7%
    Quote Originally Posted by Gleeok View Post
    I'm not sure I'm understanding you here.

What I was basically saying is that if the ZC community would rather have a true open source development environment for ZC rather than keeping the idea that encryption is a big enough deal where it is preferred to keep it hidden, then I am totally on board with that. (I'm actually in favor of it for various reasons.) Last time it was brought up there was some resistance to the idea. At the end of the day I basically just do what the people want.

I'm pretty sure none of the other current devs would have any problems with this either. I suppose this might be becoming more of a "who's the goose" goose hunt.
    I am not saying I have a problem with the encryption code being removed. As I have always said I support the code being released as soon as possible. Last time you talked about this you said you don't really want to do the work of removing the encryption when someone will simply add in a way to bypass it anyway. I have never seen a point in making more work for Devs when keeping the encryption stuff in would only make it slighty easier for someone to bypass. There are tools to bypass the passwords already anyway and you cannot use the code to acquire someone's password. If a branch of ZC that bypasses passwords were made it would still be considered the same as the tools that remove passwords and wouldn't be allowed here at AGN or at PureZC so it wouldn't be much different than what's already been released.

The longer the Open Source release is delayed the longer the people who want to contribute are delayed from learning ZC code and learning how to contribute. There are several users who have expressed such interest who I haven't seen active in a long time. Like I said I just want the code out there for people to learn and possibly contribute to. If removing the encryption code will work out in a timely matter go for it. If it is a hindrance that's holding up the release then I'd rather it just stay in despite what members of AGN or PureZC may feel on the subject. Open Source release is long overdue. I'd rather keep the interest of potential developers than worry over current users getting butthurt over passwords.

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    23.44%
    Oh right, I get you. Obviously I agree, since I do sporadically complain about how dumb the whole thing is. ..In fact, I'm pretty sure my random complaining is what prompted this thread to begin with.

...Yep... >_>

This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Here lies mero. Died by his own dumbassitude.
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    13.96%
    @Gleeok
    I agree with gleeok this whole thing is pretty dumb.

you need to realise something everyone your quest are not protected its an illusion.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.76%
    I understand why people want to protect their quests using passwords--they don't want people to be able to cheat. Really, what's the point of taking the time to make your chest challenging and cryptic if people are just going to activate cheats and cake walk through the whole thing? But there are ways around the password protection so those who are set on cheating will still do so.

I will admit that I do use some cheats when available. Mainly, I use the H key to restore my health when it starts beeping. Apart from that, I don't do much (except once when I was in a room where I needed bait and had yet to find a shop that had any for sale). I think the cheat system was put in place for those who wanted to test out their quests. But removing the cheats once your quest is finished doesn't make a difference if someone can just load it up in ZQ and add cheat codes. And the password feature does not act as the deterrent it should because people can get around it.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

How many licks to get to the center Chris Miller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37.91%
    I suppose, in lieu of passwords, there could be an option to save a read-only copy of your quest file. That way ZC could open it, but ZQ couldn't at all.

Download Lands of Serenity today! You will be knocked comatose by its sheer awesomeness.
    The Titan's Quest, best played in the bathroom as the excitement can be somewhat...overwhelming.

Official AGN Discord Channel

Official ZC Dev Discord Channel

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    18.73%
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Miller View Post
    I suppose, in lieu of passwords, there could be an option to save a read-only copy of your quest file. That way ZC could open it, but ZQ couldn't at all.
    Encryption in ZQUEST and decryption in Zelda Classic (The quest player)?. Of course if the Zelda Classic project was open sourced than the decryptor would be spoiled and someone will definitely make a Zquest with the decryptor built-in.

Also, why should cheating be prohibited? Yes some idiots will use them to discover everything immediately and spoil puzzle solutions and stuff for everyone else (Or try to) but other than that (Likely temp bannable forum offense)? I don't see why there should be a restriction placed on how a player approaches a quest. Old NES, SNES etc. games had cheats readily available in them and it didn't spell the end of gaming lol.
    Last edited by Nicholas Steel; 08-07-2015 at 03:50 PM.
    Computer specifications:
    Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel Core i7 @ 2.66GHZ | Asus P6T Motherboard | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Integrated Sound | Nvidia Geforce 560 Ti 2048MB PCI-E | Corsair AX760 Power Supply | Thermaltake Armor+ MX case

Thread Information