Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    12.04%
    Quote Originally Posted by Gleeok View Post
    THAT is windows 8?!? I've seen SNES games with better user interfaces.
    Anything is going to fail easily when being compared to the greatest thing in the history of the world.

Find a video. Once you push the desktop, not a lot is different. They're just trying to get into the app game since tablets "are the future." (Please God, no.) Also, this exists. Personally, I'm not using it, but I can see why others would want to.

<SUCCESSOR> Its Shadowblazer's dark essence invading the forums

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    93.01%
    Quote Originally Posted by Beldaran View Post
    My first thought, "I miss words."
    Then, "I became literate for this?"

This must be how older Asians feel about the death of Kanji.

I do appreciate all the feedback. Metro seems a little clumsy to me but probably because I am strictly a dt user at the moment.

Xyvol, were you really taking ten minutes to boot Win'7? Once my network issue was fixed, my boot time dropped to about ten seconds for Win'7. I would suspect your long boot time to be other than merely the OS but if a fresh OS upgrade fixed the problem, no point pondering what is fixed.

I agree with the dislike for proprietary store apps. That is the main reason* I do not and will not own any devices that start with an "i".

-m.

*there is also something about preference for foreign labor, reprehensible working conditions for said labor, and gross wage disparity but that is for another thread.
    "The public is wonderfully tolerant. It forgives everything except genius."

Glenn the Great: I just think I'd be happier as a pretty lesbian girl.

"Live and Let Live" is an excellent, tree-hugging philosophy, but it doesn't do much when the ones you refuse to kill are dragging you down with them.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    9.11%
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercy View Post
    Can you expound on what makes it better than Windows 7?
    The start screen is definitely one of my favorite features. I probably use my keyboard at least 75% of the time; really when I have to use my mouse is when I use it. Given that one of the most common shortcuts I use is Windows+R which launches the Run dialog so I can execute a command. I like the Run dialog, but the problem is that I have to know the exact command to run.

The start screen offers a very fast search just by typing, no shortcuts or explicit focus (other than in the Start Screen) are required. Windows Vista first introduced the Start Menu search, and it was very slow. Windows 7 definitely increased the performance, but Windows 8 is near instantaneous for me.

The search is very robust too. It categorizes the results based upon where it searched. For example some categories are Apps (those in the Start Menu now), Settings (Control Panel), Files (Disk Drive). In addition to the "Windows" searches, you can also search inside of an App just by choosing it as a category. Searching for Portland could result in Portlandia on Netflix, the location on the World Map using Maps, or the local weather using Weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercy View Post
    Xyvol, were you really taking ten minutes to boot Win'7?
    My boot time after upgrading (from Windows 7) does appear to be faster, however it is only barely noticeable. The difference between the two is probably 2-3 seconds faster with Windows 8. My boot time is definitely under 15 seconds.

Armageddon Task Manager

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    12.04%
    I get the same results as Flash Man, just a few seconds faster.
    @Xyvol , you definitely had some issues.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.62%
    Achievements It's over 9000!
    I have a Windows 7 machine as well. I reboot it once every couple of weeks. I can't imagine noticing 2-3 seconds of boot time.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    78.95%
    My apologies, I failed to mention it was Vista that was running on my laptop previously. That's probably the reason for the long load time. I blame work for distracting me while attempting to write a post.

My only experience with 7 is using it on the work computer, so mostly using Excel and Chrome, and I don't notice much difference in 8's desktop. The main thing is the start screen, which leads you into app world. I unpinned all the apps and pinned program icons to it instead. Makes it more tolerable in my opinion, even though half the start menu functions have been moved to setting on the right side pop up bar.

<- Play Triforce Quest!

"The greatness of one's sorrow when parting is the evidence of the deepness of one's love. So If one fears sadness, one wouldn't be able to love anything."
    -Belldandy, Oh My Goddess!

"Who cares if I'm a star up here?" - Minmei, Robotech
    "You bookahs worry too much about external appearances. It's what's inside your skull that counts." - Taimi, Guild Wars 2

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    66.6%
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyvol View Post
    My apologies, I failed to mention it was Vista that was running on my laptop previously. That's probably the reason for the long load time. I blame work for distracting me while attempting to write a post.

My only experience with 7 is using it on the work computer, so mostly using Excel and Chrome, and I don't notice much difference in 8's desktop. The main thing is the start screen, which leads you into app world. I unpinned all the apps and pinned program icons to it instead. Makes it more tolerable in my opinion, even though half the start menu functions have been moved to setting on the right side pop up bar.

I really like the look of using the start screen like that. I didn't even think to unpin the initial apps and pin my more used programs. This actually makes me more interested in starting my new computer. Black Friday Newegg deals, here I come.

@ctrl-alt-delete

I like the idea of the Classic Shell. For me, however, I need to get used to using Win 8 as intended. I need to be as familiar with Win8 as possible so I can support it better.
    Talga Vassternich -- Deserve Victory

--------------------------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube channel! I'm doing video game reviews and retrospectives from the NES/SNES eras.
    I also now have a webpage: www.braselthegamer.com
    Contributor for Gaming Rebellion! Columnist of the new series Breakdown!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    19%
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrl-alt-delete View Post
    Also, this exists. Personally, I'm not using it, but I can see why others would want to.
    Unsure about Vista as I didn't use it too much, but Classic Shell fixes tons of Windows Explorer bugs Microsoft introduced to the Windows 7 Windows Explorer (In comparison to XP's). It also includes support for numerous ease-of-use enhancements. It's a heck of a lot more then just the classic Start Menu.
    Computer specifications:
    Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel Core i7 @ 2.66GHZ | Asus P6T Motherboard | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Integrated Sound | Nvidia Geforce 560 Ti 2048MB PCI-E | Corsair AX760 Power Supply | Thermaltake Armor+ MX case

Armageddon Task Manager

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    12.04%
    I'm beginning to fall for Windows 8's Charms...see what I did there?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    66.6%
    When I found out that the action icons that pop up to the side of the screen were called charms, I cringed. Seriously? Could they think of something more stupid and cheesy to call them? The new start menu is called the fairy playground, and apps are call daydreams. The task manager has also been renamed "Santa's List".
    Talga Vassternich -- Deserve Victory

--------------------------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube channel! I'm doing video game reviews and retrospectives from the NES/SNES eras.
    I also now have a webpage: www.braselthegamer.com
    Contributor for Gaming Rebellion! Columnist of the new series Breakdown!

Thread Information