vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.69%

Zelda Classic speedrun.com page

I was thinking starting a Zelda Classic run page

Here's what I need:

1. Someone's who decently versed in ZC competitive play to help Mod and approve runs.
    2. A list of all competitively played quests besides New Quest, James Quest, and Demo EX that can be completed under 3 hours, 2 hours preferable
    3. A solid run of a ZC quest (I have some, but they're all segmented. )

Get back to me if you're interested.

-James.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nightmarejames YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/nightmarejames

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:
    Completed: Zelda NES Remastered, Demo 1st Quest, Demo 2nd Quest, James Quest: Remastered (V 2.1), Memorial Quest, New Quest 2 2015. New Quest: Rebuilt
    In development: Demo SP, James Quest: Remastered (V 3.0)t, 6QI

Octorok
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    25.26%
    I found a bug in light of the heavens where you can F6 after getting a key in a cutscene so you can get as many keys as you want. Could be fun to run it. I was thinking about maybe doing it someday, but in general the quest is a bit too hard for me right now. I spent the better part of 2 days trying to use the key dupe to skip a dungeon and still get the best ending, but I was just a few frames shy of being able to get into a boss room without triggering the npc to stop following me. It was so close. I thought I'd had it (I made a script to count the frames to see if I could do it it time) but I realized the hopping animation is longer with whatever diagonal movement setting that game uses.

If you use a particular version of 2.5, I think 2.50.2?, you can abuse a ZC bug to break all global arrays by F6ing during the first opening wipe. Any quest that uses ghost.zh in particular will find all scripted enemies either cakewalks or invulnerable. I bet there are some quests that could be completed much more easily after abusing this glitch. What do you think the rules should be as far as like, abusing bugs, particularly those in older version of zc?

Regardless I hope an sr.com page exists some day b/c I think it could be fun to watch runs of some of them.
    Last edited by CSD; 05-26-2017 at 07:37 AM.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.69%
    Quote Originally Posted by CSD View Post
    I found a bug in light of the heavens where you can F6 after getting a key in a cutscene so you can get as many keys as you want. Could be fun to run it. I was thinking about maybe doing it someday, but in general the quest is a bit too hard for me right now. I spent the better part of 2 days trying to use the key dupe to skip a dungeon and still get the best ending, but I was just a few frames shy of being able to get into a boss room without triggering the npc to stop following me. It was so close. I thought I'd had it (I made a script to count the frames to see if I could do it it time) but I realized the hopping animation is longer with whatever diagonal movement setting that game uses.

If you use a particular version of 2.5, I think 2.50.2?, you can abuse a ZC bug to break all global arrays by F6ing during the first opening wipe. Any quest that uses ghost.zh in particular will find all scripted enemies either cakewalks or invulnerable. I bet there are some quests that could be completed much more easily after abusing this glitch. What do you think the rules should be as far as like, abusing bugs, particularly those in older version of zc?

Regardless I hope an sr.com page exists some day b/c I think it could be fun to watch runs of some of them.
    I've applied. I don't know if they'll sccept, stay tuned

-James

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nightmarejames YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/nightmarejames

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:
    Completed: Zelda NES Remastered, Demo 1st Quest, Demo 2nd Quest, James Quest: Remastered (V 2.1), Memorial Quest, New Quest 2 2015. New Quest: Rebuilt

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    23.44%
    Sounds like fun. I suggest using a new build of ZC where Zodiac aka;"speed-run" scrolling is always enabled by default since it's open source now, after all. I can even compile one for you.
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.69%
    Quote Originally Posted by Gleeok View Post
    Sounds like fun. I suggest using a new build of ZC where Zodiac aka;"speed-run" scrolling is always enabled by default since it's open source now, after all. I can even compile one for you.
    Make it that it disables cheats, slowdown, and anything else queasy too, then post it on ZC.com.

I'll let you know whether we get accepted or rejected.

-James

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:

Octorok
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    25.26%
    Personally I would want to stick to official releases of ZC (so I think we're up to 2.50.2 right now?), unless the quest's designer has previously recommended a non-standard build. And I would also want to play the quest as it lies, with whatever screen scroll speed was included.

Cheats banned. Turning off the frame limit banned. Is there anything else needs to be banned? You could easily use a non-standard build that was faster in some way, or an edited version of the quest, or use Memory Hacking Software, or splice your video. There are a million ways to cheat, so a build which specifically removes the ability to use cheats honestly doesn't do much. (Personally when I play ZC I leave MHS open all the time with my cheat value locked at 4 so when I get fed up I can turn on the walk through walls, regardless of whether or not the quest maker had cheats enabled, lol. That does set "used cheats" but I wonder if I used MHS to activate walk through walls specifically, it probably wouldn't set that flag.)

I would be turned off if there were a "speedrun build" that we were mandated to use. Especially if it were made faster than the other builds in some way, I would not use it.

(Let's be honest here, the best part of speedrunning is the speed politics, right? ... Right???)

(zelda-w.exe + 6D0D9C is the cheat address btw)
    Last edited by CSD; 05-28-2017 at 09:33 PM.

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    23.44%
    A build that disables cheats will not only disable them but also mess up your RAM hacking or cheat tools as parts of normal ZC builds will be "compiled out" of so to speak.

The main reason I stopped doing ZC speed runs years ago was actually because screen scrolling is so friggin slow. The difference is actually quite significant: Most old quests will be speed-runnable in half, yes half, the time. Since speed runs are done live or posted to youtube generally, that's 1 1/2 hours of watching the screen scroll compared to 3. This also means significantly lower chance of players developing serious injury such as RSI, tendonitis, etc., which is another reason why I had to give it up.
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.69%
    Slowdown needs to be banned too obviously. :)

-James

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:

Octorok
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    25.26%
    The point was that there are already a million ways to cheat. Yeah I wasn't aware of a slowdown option? (Regardless you could probably just lag your computer to get the same result.)

Mucking with the screen scroll speed I think could mess with the timing of some scripts? IDK.

What does tendonitis have to do with anything... Let's make a new speedrun build where you can just win instantly. That will reduce the time even further and really cut down on the tendonitis.

Well that's enough of my bad opinions for one day I think.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.69%
    Quote Originally Posted by Gleeok View Post
    A build that disables cheats will not only disable them but also mess up your RAM hacking or cheat tools as parts of normal ZC builds will be "compiled out" of so to speak.

The main reason I stopped doing ZC speed runs years ago was actually because screen scrolling is so friggin slow. The difference is actually quite significant: Most old quests will be speed-runnable in half, yes half, the time. Since speed runs are done live or posted to youtube generally, that's 1 1/2 hours of watching the screen scroll compared to 3. This also means significantly lower chance of players developing serious injury such as RSI, tendonitis, etc., which is another reason why I had to give it up.
    I don't "get" how people keep getting hurt. First Votava, then Zeo to some degree, then Hax, now you. I've been playing competitively for 27 years, and when I have any hint of injury, I take a break. I don't get how people keep getting hurt like this.

I'm sorry if I sound uncaring, but it just boggles my mind at times.

Quote Originally Posted by CSD View Post
    The point was that there are already a million ways to cheat. Yeah I wasn't aware of a slowdown option? (Regardless you could probably just lag your computer to get the same result.)

Mucking with the screen scroll speed I think could mess with the timing of some scripts? IDK.

What does tendonitis have to do with anything... Let's make a new speedrun build where you can just win instantly. That will reduce the time even further and really cut down on the tendonitis.

Well that's enough of my bad opinions for one day I think.
    I don't think the screen scrolling should be f'ed with either. If anything a slower speed is more reason to rest and give yourself a slight reprieve.

-James

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:

Thread Information