Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    43.65%

NPCs out of bounds

Would you consider, please, writing in an option to allow NPCs to go out of the boundaries of the screen further without disappearing?

I know they normally don't do at all in the fixed-screen LoZ style games people make with ZC but it is the only drawback so far to my sideview platforming game that the enemies de-spawn when the player moves them off the currently drawn area.

A whole screen or even half a screens worth of pixels away out of the screen bounds would be most excellent.
    I could, I suppose, do this myself by storing all of their parameters and position and then re-spawn them when the player goes back to where they were but having them not be erased in the first place would be much more optimal.
    Last edited by Downloader; 12-25-2018 at 12:59 AM.

The Timelord
    QDB Manager
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    68.52%
    You can move HitXOffset and DrawXOffset, coupled with HitYOffset and DrawYOffset--instead of raw X, and Y--to do this, by script.

Now that we have npc scripts, I would prefer not to make the guys.cpp stuff any more absurd.

Keese Just registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    43.65%
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoriaRPG View Post
    You can move HitXOffset and DrawXOffset, coupled with HitYOffset and DrawYOffset--instead of raw X, and Y--to do this, by script.

Now that we have npc scripts, I would prefer not to make the guys.cpp stuff any more absurd.
    Yes, I could keep the actual NPC on screen and just draw and hit offset, but then I would have to do weird things to the NPC behavior functions I wrote when it comes to them bumping into walls and things like that..
    It is not that drawing offscreen or otherwise having their hitboxes offscreen is the issue, it is the fact that ZC erases the NPC when it goes offscreen, and I would have to write up a method to save their current stats and then put them back onto the screen after they are erased.
    Last edited by Downloader; 12-25-2018 at 03:08 PM.

The Timelord
    QDB Manager
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    68.52%
    Quote Originally Posted by Downloader View Post
    Yes, I could keep the actual NPC on screen and just draw and hit offset, but then I would have to do weird things to the NPC behavior functions I wrote when it comes to them bumping into walls and things like that..
    It is not that drawing offscreen or otherwise having their hitboxes offscreen is the issue, it is the fact that ZC erases the NPC when it goes offscreen, and I would have to write up a method to save their current stats and then put them back onto the screen after they are erased.
    Perhaps in the future, but for now, the addition of all of the new script types, and other npc stuff is taking its toll on th e shreds of my sanity.

When \the new script stuff is finalised, then, I may look into this.

Keese Just registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    43.65%
    https://youtu.be/XdOC1VVwKro

Here is a short example video of what I'm talking about. The "Sniper Joe" NPC just barely goes off screen when jumping off the ledge and disappears. Just drawing an offset or hitbox adjustment would not solve this problem. I would need to save Joe's current HP and everything else and then respawn another clone NPC in it's place to remedy this situation. If the NPC would just not get erased until a half screen or full screen away it would remedy this problem.

https://youtu.be/RptpEH6LUIE
    Here is another example video of putting the NPC back onto the screen after it gets erased.
    guys.cpp is messed up... Through a series of debugging I learned that when the enemy despawns from going off screen it's X coordinates are set to -3XXX something.. lol
    I did, however, accomplish the effect I was going for. Thanks for your input anyway.
    Last edited by Downloader; 12-25-2018 at 04:58 PM.

The Timelord
    QDB Manager
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    68.52%
    Quote Originally Posted by Downloader View Post
    Would you consider, please, writing in an option to allow NPCs to go out of the boundaries of the screen further without disappearing?

I know they normally don't do at all in the fixed-screen LoZ style games people make with ZC but it is the only drawback so far to my sideview platforming game that the enemies de-spawn when the player moves them off the currently drawn area.

A whole screen or even half a screens worth of pixels away out of the screen bounds would be most excellent.
    I could, I suppose, do this myself by storing all of their parameters and position and then re-spawn them when the player goes back to where they were but having them not be erased in the first place would be much more optimal.
    Sorry, I had forgotten about this topic. You can force npcs out of bounds now without killing them, but they will not do that on their own.

Thread Information