14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    79.06%
    If he really was active on 5th of October then he most certainly would have taken over authorship of his quest for the quest contest. I know that he was really keen on entering his quest.
    James's three laws of quest making:

1) Quest makers put their tastes and preferences first and everyone else second
    2) The "everyone else second" part can only be implemented if and only if it takes a very short time.
    3) If large amounts of money are being paid for the quest change rule number 1 to "sponsor tastes first and own tastes second" and rule number 2 to "must be implemented even if it takes nearly forever".

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    23.24%
    Hey-o!

Thanks for the heads up James24, I appreciate it. Get back to you later.

Yeah, I haven't been active much the last year, but don't you guys worry about me, I'm keeping busy. Moving out East next spring as well. As a rule of thumb you have to PM me when I'm inactive, sorry about that.

Wait, there's a 6th quest now? I'll have to submit the bugfixed OG quest for that - and yes, it's just as hard!

Anyway, it's late here right now and I'm off to sleep. Will look into it later. Thanks again to James24 for testing this quest! Without him the quest would likely not be playable and/or complete. It's on my todo list to release it still, I swear.
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    79.06%
    No worries Gleeok. I just hope you're agreeable with the changes I made especially putting in the lens and spacebar maps. I know they aren't part of old school Zelda but I don't think your quest is reasonably playable without them. They don't have any real impact on the game and the difficulty except to allow the player to see unmarked, arbitrary and mandatory secrets which I don't think are very fun things.

Not that anyone really cares for old school Zelda - especially hard old school Zelda - its a quest made for you, me and a handful of other players only.

2) The "everyone else second" part can only be implemented if and only if it takes a very short time.
    3) If large amounts of money are being paid for the quest change rule number 1 to "sponsor tastes first and own tastes second" and rule number 2 to "must be implemented even if it takes nearly forever".

The Timelord
    QDB Manager
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    68.52%
    @Gleeok @James24

I have a report that one of the gleeok bosses in the entry is using tile 0 for the enemy heads. Is this intentional, a bug in the quest, or a bug that crept in from new .dats?

This is a fire gleeok behind a walkthrough wall with no new paths. There are several walk walls that lead to seemingly disused or scrapped area, and some water combo cset bugs on the overworld that were noted, plus lens hints that are false (revealing staircase secrets that cannot be triggered).

The contest is in Phase II (Closed Playtesting) and there are a number of bug reports to address for the entry.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    79.06%
    I'm not sure whether or not Gleeok intended the room you're referring to to be in the quest so when I was patching it up I left it in. I think it was meant to be taken out but I wasn't 100% sure so it stayed. It doesn't really matter because it has no effect on the game except that its a brutal fight if you attempt it with no rewards. I patched up the false lens readings in the quest discord with a later version, but it seems that only the original version of the quest with the bugs was distributed. It all doesn't really matter anyway, no one likes challenge quests and with all due respect to Gleeok, it will never win.

I shall exalt myself over all Armagedddon Games bigjoe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    92.87%
    The end of any James24 post: sad lamentation about how no one will ever play a challenge quest, despite the fact that many people do enjoy them.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    79.06%
    I'm simply stating a true fact and the results of this contest prove it. Both Gleeok and Glenn's quests are challenge like quests and didn't fare well. If I had spent time testing, beautifying and "fixing" them (I don't see any bugs despite what other say) then it would all have been for nothing. Good thing I had the foresight not to.

I shall exalt myself over all Armagedddon Games bigjoe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    92.87%
    Were it my way any nth quest would not go beyond being a bigger/badder variation on the nth quest before it. I agree that Gleeok's is more successively difficult than fifth and would have probably been a good fit.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    79.06%
    The best thing about Zelda Classic and its biggest selling point should be that a quest maker can do whatever they want, however they want, whenever they want for whoever they want to entertain. That is the magic of Zelda Classic. You can do ANYTHING you like. When someone asks a quest maker how they can put up making quests for free then this should be their answer - their complete independence. They are not constrained or restricted in any way or beholden to what the audience thinks is "good" or "right" way of making a game. Gleeok took this to heart and made his game his way - not caring about the opinions or reactions of others who played it. If it won the 6th quest contest then that's an added bonus but not a motivation for making his quest.

Constraints upon the quest maker can only be realistically enforced if they are being paid by the person or people they are performing for. When people try and put constraints on themselves they end up cancelling quests like we see in the 6th quest contest. Only 4 people completed despite the numerous entrants.

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    23.24%
    That silly Gleeok, always making stupid-hard quests and then never finishing them. XD

I actually made this for the 5th quest but never entered it because there was already a huge turnout for that contest. It was basically a fun quest - I always wanted to do a 5th->Nth style NES quest but never got around to it.

But now comes the best part: playing through your own quest after a couple of years and forgetting where everything is!! :) ... Shoot, it's probably going to be hard as well. At least that's what I keep hearing...
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Thread Information