0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    28.72%
    OK, finally finished this quest. (Sorry, but I voted 'could not complete' earlier and cannot change it back.)

Check Screen 65 in Level 9. When I went through that passageway, I ended up in Level 1!

One other 'fatal' error: when taking a passageway that leads to the Gleeok with boulders (what's up with that, by the way?), if you try to return through the same passageway, you end up 'stuck in a corner' when exiting. As doubling back through already-explored passageways is a requirement to finishing the quest, this needs to be changed.

The threat of facing more creatures after Ganon was somewhat anticlimatic, to say the least.

Fatal errors aside, I wasn't overly thrilled with this quest. The dungeons weren't particularly imaginative; Levels 8 and 9, in particular, were just squares. I saw the 'guided-missile Gorriyas' in another quest, though I can't hold that against you. I did like the Level 8 boss: death of a thousand paper cuts.

Overall, I have to rate this quest below the two I've already completed. It was unfinished, and much felt slapped together. I appreciate the effort, and admittedly I haven't created a quest myself (though I'd like to, if I ever got the password for the 1st quest), but I think I needed to see more here.

PS: you probably don't need to change Level 8. Apart from a couple early rooms, the rest didn't prove overly difficult.

Octorok
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    4.78%
    Did you go left after finding Zelda

I did the enemies after Ganon akin to Level 3 in the second quest, something I felt should of been brought back. As for the maps, I tried to get someone to help me make some that looked like enemies since Alphadawg made some that looked like items, but that was to no avail

Keese
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    28.72%
    Quote Originally Posted by zcfan27330 View Post
    Did you go left after finding Zelda?
    I did.

Octorok
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    4.78%
    One more question, What did you think of the I'd bet you'd like to go up room in Level 8?

Keese
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    28.72%
    Quote Originally Posted by zcfan27330 View Post
    One more question, What did you think of the I'd bet you'd like to go up room in Level 8?
    Well, it forces the player to get the bomb upgrade. Cute, but probably unnecessary.

Octorok
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    4.78%
    ^ I did that because it hadn't been done before, I thought it would be original. The extra room past Zelda was purely to be funny.

I plan on making another quest based on that overworld that we all know and love, and not be rushed, and there's more things I want to do that wasn't allowed in this contest.

Keese
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    6.64%
    OW bugs

i'll admit, i'm tried of searching for OW secrets in all these contest entries. so i'm just cruising thru yours with the quest file open. dungeons i'm playing blind.

screen 68 - DRC room but string is for white sword
    screen 4E and screen 2D - secret money room but string is "boy, this is really expensive"
    screen 2D - i especially hate the cave location. i don't think anything should be hidden in the outer two rows of tiles, and certainly not the first tile.
    screen 54 - blank tile appears when burning the bush.
    screen 38 and screen 46 and screen 4D - same shop type but different strings
    screen 5C - empty room and return square isn't set so you end up in the middle of trees

lvl1 - what was the purpose of being able to go left or up from the triforce room?
    also i totally just stumbled into the boss room. good thing i had enough bombs. came back into the level to find the item (and compass).
    Last edited by justin1; 02-07-2014 at 12:47 AM.

Keese
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    6.64%
    lvl2 - the two dark rooms i've seen so far have some tiles in the wrong cset.
    - i just wandered into the boss room without finding anything else - no map or compass or item yet. going back in.

and i'm stuck. from the start, i took the first passageway into darknut room, went up to the "looks different" guy, went right into goriya room, killed them all, can't exit because of the locked door and no key. should be able to walk back thru the wall i came from.

Keese
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    6.64%
    lvl2 - why the different coloured blocks in the gleeok room?

lvl3 - 4th room up from the entrance (rope room), there is a tile with the wrong cset
    - the map room with the wizzrobes, the enemies won't spawn (therefore no map) because you have them set to spawn from the sides which won't work with wizzrobes, have them spawn classic and bob's your uncle.

uggh, moving fairy in potion shop, why??? damn thing flew into me and i had to buy it. make them stationary.

edit:
    OW screen 00 - what's the purpose of this guy? same string as cheap shield shop, but no shop?
    screens 36 and 15 - DRC charge is zero rupees. speaking of DRCs there are WAY to many relative to the number of secret money, almost every screen is a -20 DRC. makes accumulating money a grindfest.

there are also 2 too many heart containers on the OW.

edit2:

lvl4 - all the dark rooms have cset issues. compass doesn't drop because of how you've placed it, the push block triggers nothing, and the compass is set as special item so it would need an item cellar. get rid of the push block and have enemies->item, and place the item on screen. the lock doors are useless, the level just leads you to the boss.

ow - screen 3C - whistle does nothing, but no whirlwind appears so something is weird. you haven't set whistle->stairs. and the water is in the wrong cset, so it doesn't dry. and the return square is in the middle of the pond so you have to whistle again to leave the screen.

edit3:

lvl5 - no bugs that i noticed. several rooms have no enemies.

lvl6 - difficulty ramps up a notch, glad i finally grinded enough for the blue ring. seems like a lot of rooms are just designed to takeaway hearts.
    one bug so far, going left from the compass room into the windrobe room, the block is pushable but nothing happens, and its possible to trap yourself in the room by pushing the block against the wall.
    there is a key room with wallmasters and bubbles. the red bubbles take away sword but the blue bubble is item restoring.
    get rid of the blue bubble room near the boss, it would be more interesting to fight him without the sword. the triforce will restore the sword.

edit4:

you are missing the letter (used) sprite, so once you use your potions it shows the letter again, right now yours just displays blank.

lvl7 - some of the dark rooms have cset issues.
    screen 46 - has the item set wrong so no key drops. make it enemies-> key. it makes the level short a key.
    i got key locked even with having an extra key when entering the level.
    on the plus side lvl7 is your best designed dungeon.

that's it for today. lvls 8 and 9 later...
    Last edited by justin1; 02-07-2014 at 03:11 PM.

Keese
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    6.64%
    lvl8
    first screen right of entrance, you forgot to set a guy so the string doesn't show.

lvl9
    screen up from triforce check room warps you to lvl1. is this intentional?

i'm done. while there were a couple neat ideas (overworld changes, lvl8 needing the magic key, using the whistle in an interesting way to access a level, staggered wizzrobe attacks, consecutive boss rooms, etc) overall the quest wasn't very good. there were a lot of bugs - seriously, it doesn't look like it was playtested at all (and its been a few months since submission deadline to do so). there was very very limited use of enemy editor, and almost no bosses were edited except a bit of health and the BS patra resprite. there were lots of issues with nes authenticity. other than the later levels the levels didn't have themes, the enemies were just a miss-mash, and lots of rooms didn't have enemies. it really easy too, i was sub-10 deaths with barely any potion use, most deaths were just because i was going too fast just to finish it. whatever difficulty there was came in the form of cheap room designed to drain hearts with too many statues, or awkward room/enemy/statue/trap combinations - thankfully these rooms were minimal, only in the later dungeons, and the majority of the rooms in the level were easy.
    Last edited by justin1; 02-10-2014 at 12:41 AM.

Thread Information