User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quest Players Club--It's like Book Club, but way more fun!

Armageddon Task Manager

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    11.77%

Quest Players Club--It's like Book Club, but way more fun!

A common theme among AGN's community is that it's hard to find time to dedicate here. As a result, there are several of us that consistently talk about how we're going to get back into quest playing when the right motivation, quest, or extra time comes along. Well, here is that motivation!

The idea is that users of our community that have completed a quest can nominate their quest to be featured. What an excellent way to have numerous people play and critique your quest! Not to mention it may help to improve your quest as new bugs may be found, and the ideas and discussion generated may help your creations in the future! (Your quest will be featured at AGN, zeldaclassic.com, and the new zeldaclassic.net.)

Anybody that wants to participate in the Quest Players Club as a player will be added to a new usergroup. Out of those members, one will be randomly selected to choose the quest that the group plays. At that time, the quest creator will help to generate a schedule of milestones and a timeframe to reach them. (For the entire quest, I'm thinking a two month timeframe at most, but it will be customized according to quest length.) Obviously, we will have to do our best to make the milestones spoiler free.

Example:
    Week 1 - Complete the first dungeon. Week 2 - Complete the second dungeon and this mini dungeon. Week 8 - Complete the quest.

Once the milestones are complete, we will discuss the quest to that point. What we liked, what we didn't(only constructive criticism), suggestions, etc.

For consistent quest players, this is an excellent way to further enjoy a sense of community while enjoying your hobby. For those of us who can't seem to find the time, this is an excellent way to get back into ZC at a slow pace. And let's face it, this is way more fun/hands-on than a youtube let's play.

Needless to say, this is at a very early point in the planning phase. Tomorrow I will be creating the new forum that will house this little project along with necessary usergroups and threads. While we're getting started, we need help from you!

Do you have any other ideas about how to implement this? Perhaps suggestions for changes to the format? Questions? Comments? Concerns? Also, "Quest Players Club" is only a placeholder. Got an idea for a better name for the project?

Let's hear it! How would YOU like to see this run?

<SUCCESSOR> Its Shadowblazer's dark essence invading the forums

On top of the world ShadowTiger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    60.16%
    Achievements It's over 9000!
    It's going to be interesting to find a way to avoid spoilers. Not every landmark can be as simple as "Level 8 complete." Part of a Book/Quest club is to keep the interest alive for as long as possible, and to entice people to find the interest to play it in the first place. Things actually being out of context is a major advantage to that.

I will continue to be of the opinion that this is a fantastic idea, and I deeply look forward to participating. I may even jump ahead considerably. Enthusiasm must be contained.

We may also allow considerations for multiple playings at once, perhaps, if it becomes feasible. There is certainly a nigh inexhaustible supply of quests out there.

Armageddon Task Manager

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    11.77%
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowTiger View Post
    It's going to be interesting to find a way to avoid spoilers. Not every landmark can be as simple as "Level 8 complete." Part of a Book/Quest club is to keep the interest alive for as long as possible, and to entice people to find the interest to play it in the first place. Things actually being out of context is a major advantage to that.

I will continue to be of the opinion that this is a fantastic idea, and I deeply look forward to participating. I may even jump ahead considerably. Enthusiasm must be contained.

We may also allow considerations for multiple playings at once, perhaps, if it becomes feasible. There is certainly a nigh inexhaustible supply of quests out there.
    Should be slightly simpler due to the questmakers themselves making the milestone. They should know exactly how to present their quest in a manner that will draw interest without ruining the fun. :)

Glad to see somebody finally replied. Lol.

On top of the world ShadowTiger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    60.16%
    Achievements It's over 9000!
    No it's a really cool idea. I don't even think there could even possibly be any way that this new forum/activity could be argumentatively merged with the Quest Discussion forum. Two entirely different concepts, I'm happy to acknowledge.

So multiple threads and playings can and will likely exist simultaneously. No need to hog a single quest for more than a few weeks. Nobody needs that long. Stragglers can ask for help where necessary.

Armageddon Task Manager

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    11.77%
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowTiger View Post
    No it's a really cool idea. I don't even think there could even possibly be any way that this new forum/activity could be argumentatively merged with the Quest Discussion forum. Two entirely different concepts, I'm happy to acknowledge.

So multiple threads and playings can and will likely exist simultaneously. No need to hog a single quest for more than a few weeks. Nobody needs that long. Stragglers can ask for help where necessary.
    This back and forth has actually given me an addition to the idea.

As we play through the quest, we can index the areas in the original post. So for anybody that wants to play along later, they can still reference the posts without being spoiled.

Example:

Link to post that begins topic of quest through first dungeon milestone.
    Link to post that begins topic of quest through second dungeon mileston.

Spoiler alert do not read past here until you've completed the second dungeon!!!* would be at the top of the post before further discussion is held.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.7%
    This is a really good idea. I am on board.

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.96%
    Count me in! I've been meaning to actually play some Zelda Classic, but the volume of quests is quite intimidating. Having a specific quest recommended--as well as a group of members who are playing the quest with me and at roughly the same position--will really give me an anchor to launch from.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    16.44%
    I will have more time to participate in something like this as my time frees up over the next few weeks. It sounds like a lot of fun! It has been a few years since I have really gotten into a new quest. Great idea!

クールな男
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    96.41%
    I'm in. For the same reasons @CJC mentioned.

I shall exalt myself over all Armagedddon Games bigjoe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    93.02%
    I'm down for this. I haven't been doing enough quest playing lately. Should be fun to do it as a group.

Thread Information