6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    41.48%
    Hey Saffith, I'm getting ZQuest (2.50.1) to crash at least 80% of the time when I go to edit a custom item drop set. I'll try to do a little more testing tomorrow to see if I can get around this crash, since every once in a while I was able to do it successfully. Weird.
    My quests:
    End of Time - First quest, uses classic graphics (Help/discussion thread)
    Link to the Heavens - Second quest, uses Pure tileset (YouTube LP | Help/discussion thread)
    End of Time DX - Remake of my first quest (YouTube LP | Help/discussion thread)

Octorok
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    55.05%
    Shouldn't 8 bit tile grabbing also recolour using the whole 8 bit main palette instead of just the currently selected cset of the current palette? Or I'm doing something wrong?
    Pressing 8 indeed displays "8-bit" and if I press enter, the tile is indeed in 8 bit. But, I got myself an image from a game that uses many many colours and pressing "R" always recolours just for the cset I have selected, as well as grabbing mode switching back to 4 bit if I press "R" while it's 8 bit.
    It's OK if it is supposed to be that way, I just thought it would be easier to grab title screens and such from now on. Because now after grabbing on the currently selected cset, I manually need to put a wider range of colours in. No problem, things are awesome enough even this way.

That enemy drop problem Pineconn mentioned isn't happening for me so far, but if it's there for everybody, I will see it soon, for I often edit the drop sets in quests.

Is this the end?
    ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    69.42%
    Quote Originally Posted by Pineconn View Post
    Hey Saffith, I'm getting ZQuest (2.50.1) to crash at least 80% of the time when I go to edit a custom item drop set. I'll try to do a little more testing tomorrow to see if I can get around this crash, since every once in a while I was able to do it successfully. Weird.
    Well, shoot. I'm not seeing anything wrong there, though... You're certain it's 2.50.1? Etc. -> About should say it's build 28.

Quote Originally Posted by CastChaos View Post
    Shouldn't 8 bit tile grabbing also recolour using the whole 8 bit main palette instead of just the currently selected cset of the current palette? Or I'm doing something wrong?
    Pressing 8 indeed displays "8-bit" and if I press enter, the tile is indeed in 8 bit. But, I got myself an image from a game that uses many many colours and pressing "R" always recolours just for the cset I have selected, as well as grabbing mode switching back to 4 bit if I press "R" while it's 8 bit.
    That would have made more sense, now that you mention it, but it doesn't work that way. It's Shift+R for 8-bit recoloring.
    Also, if you can, you should use another program to convert the image to an optimized 8-bit palette first. Otherwise, Allegro will convert it to a generic palette, and it won't look as good if you rip from that.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    41.48%
    I have build 24. Ha. Let me try to get the latest build.

I appreciate your followup. It's amazing that this program is still supported after more than a decade... I can't believe that it was seven years ago when I completed Link to the Heavens.

EDIT: Well, I don't know if I'm just an idiot, but now I have build 28 and I'm not getting that crash. I must have gotten my version folders mixed up and deleted the wrong one a few weeks ago. Sorry! I'll continue to play around with 2.50.1 to see if I get any weird issues, but so far it looks quite solid.

EDIT 2:

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Steel View Post
    Pretty cool to see both Pineconn and CastChaos getting another itch to make some more amazing stuff with Zquest. Admittedly I haven't really been keeping track of popular quest developers and their Zelda Classic activity since 2008 or 2009 or so so maybe you'se have always been hanging around all this time and I just never noticed >.> (I mostly hang around PureZC's General Entertainment section of the forum)

Is Nightmare the same guy that made those very early quests waaay back in the day?
    Yeah, I finished my crappy remake of my first quest in 2009 (or maybe early 2010) and fell out of the loop. I had just started college and simply had other interests. I think the additional complexities of 2.50 over 2.10 were a bit of a turn-off at the time, since I had spent a lot of energy maxing out the capabilities of 2.10 to do some cool things in Link to the Heavens. Currently I'm playing through Isle of Rebirth (as suggested by Russ -- cool to see that he's still around) and I've learned that I can put out a better effort than LttH. Obviously I'd have to learn how to use ZScript, but I'm not too worried.

Nothing is concrete. I might toy around with building a new quest just to stop after a few weeks... or maybe I'll create something great.
    Last edited by Pineconn; 10-22-2014 at 02:23 AM.
    My quests:
    End of Time - First quest, uses classic graphics (Help/discussion thread)
    Link to the Heavens - Second quest, uses Pure tileset (YouTube LP | Help/discussion thread)
    End of Time DX - Remake of my first quest (YouTube LP | Help/discussion thread)

Octorok
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    55.05%
    This new version's ZQ gets stuck in the taskbar after closing, like in 2.50.0, too. Occassionally. Like, every 4th or 5th time. Allegro.log doesn't have anything else appended to the end than when it exits normally (still just a lot of "cleaning..." lines with "bitmaps... ok" at the end). I use Windows 7. It's not a big problem, just saying for reference.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.53%
    Quote Originally Posted by CastChaos View Post
    This new version's ZQ gets stuck in the taskbar after closing, like in 2.50.0, too. Occassionally. Like, every 4th or 5th time. Allegro.log doesn't have anything else appended to the end than when it exits normally (still just a lot of "cleaning..." lines with "bitmaps... ok" at the end). I use Windows 7. It's not a big problem, just saying for reference.
    I've been getting that problem as well, but not every 4th or 5th time...more like every time. I'm using Windows 8 and it is nearly impossible to work with it if I can't do fullscreen but as I said before, fullscreen in Windows 8 causes graphical issues (blue flicker on the screen and nothing responds).
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    18.62%
    Quote Originally Posted by Pineconn View Post
    Obviously I'd have to learn how to use ZScript, but I'm not too worried.
    Even without scripting the editor should (As far as I know) allow for many new things to be possible and allow for new interesting level designs to be possible (Or easier to make complex designs that used to be a pain in the ass to create in the past). I mean that without scripting you should still obviously be capable of make great stuff.
    Computer specifications:
    Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel Core i7 @ 2.66GHZ | Asus P6T Motherboard | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Integrated Sound | Nvidia Geforce 560 Ti 2048MB PCI-E | Corsair AX760 Power Supply | Thermaltake Armor+ MX case

Octorok
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    55.05%
    Was the max allowed string length dramatically cut? In 2.50.0, I could write 4 full lines of text even with quite some string control codes used, but now when I try to write 4 lines even without string control codes (even more, with some "\25"s to save space), it halts a word before the end of the last line. I was using and am using the LA font, for it's small enough to have much text fit in the box, but not TOO small.

Also, yes, insanely custom quests can be made even without scripting. And with scripting included, the possibilities are beyond extreme. And for 2.50.1 (as well as 2.50.0) is still very new, millions of things aren't made yet. If the big ones of ZC (like, Pineconn) really get to it, then some serious wonder can be churned out. So far 2 of my 2.50.0 quests (Valami and BBIV) were attempts to really make use of things, but even much, much more can be done. Now I'm making a bigger attempt with a bit shorter quest on 2.50.1.

EDIT: Also, the template string isn't getting saved, when closing and opening ZQ, one needs to set the template again, if one wants to.
    Last edited by CastChaos; 10-24-2014 at 09:06 AM.

Is this the end?
    ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    69.42%
    The string length hasn't changed. I don't know why you might be having problems with it.

Gel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    79.62%
    Hi, sorry for the question but i'm playng Zelda Classic after many years....I arrived at Level 9! I found the Silver arrows and the red ring....but how can i kill Ganon?? It' invisible.....help me, thank you.
    If i'll can kill him the game finish?? O it goes on?? What happen?

Thank you very much

Thread Information