Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    5.46%

MacOS v2.50.2 Not working on latest macOS 10.12.3

Hi guys, long time no see... so... I'm running the latest macOS 10.12.3, got the latest stable release ready (2.50.2), downloaded and extracted, anddddd, nope, doesn't work at all

Please see here for a visual run down of my problem: http://imgur.com/a/PBfpT

So I'm wondering... I think I had an older version of Zelda Classic in the past, is it possible there is an older file in the preferences somewhere in my system files (the com.*.plist files which generally come with applications) that could be interfering? If there are files like that, what would they be called and where could I find them?

Or is it simply that Zelda Classic is not running on the latest macOS...

Either way, I have a problem, and it makes me sad
    Originally Posted by Fweedum
    Learn how to spell, between your spelling and your no commen sense messages, they are impossible to understand.

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    8.16%
    Maybe it's a path issue, where ZC is not finding the 1st.qst folder?

Unfortunately I know very little about Macs, and we currently have no active Mac developers, but maybe someone will stop by and help you out.

Octorok
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    5.46%
    I fear it might not be so simple, as you can see the name entry screen does not appear at all other than the pink flashing square if I press enter, and if I try to load the quest manually it also cannot load it... D: It's possibly a permissions bug with the latest OS X?
    Learn how to spell, between your spelling and your no commen sense messages, they are impossible to understand.

The Timelord
    QDB Manager
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    68.7%
    This is the same issue with OSX 10.12 as before:

You need to copy the ZC folder from wherever it is on your system, into your /hdd/usr/Games folder. It should work after that.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    89.14%
    This is true.
    Move the application somewhere else.

macOS 10.12 Sierra, due to ship this autumn/fall, brings several security enhancements. Among them are some changes to the way that Gatekeeper works which affect many existing installers and updaters. This is likely to make it much more difficult to use many installers and updaters unless they have been built to work with Sierra.In El Capitan and earlier, we have enjoyed a lot of flexibility with Gatekeeper. So long as your security settings allowed, you could override Gatekeeper, run unsigned apps, and almost any old installer or updater. The snag with this is that if we can override Gatekeeper, so malware can exploit overrides and other loopholes, and get onto our Macs. A whole new class of attack, called dylib hijacking, has emerged as a result.
    Apple’s preferred solution is, of course, the App Store, and none of the changes in security in Sierra should affect App Store apps. All other apps, according to the recently-released What’s New in OS X 10.12 (which should have read macOS 10.12, of course!), will be run differently on the first occasion: this is known as App Translocation.

The reason for this is an exploit involving a downloaded disk image, Zip archive, or even an optical disk image (ISO, CD/DVD). Currently, any of those can sneak code past Gatekeeper by loading their malicious code or content from that image or archive.
    To prevent that, if you try to run an app from an image or archive, Gatekeeper moves that app to a randomised location, in a hidden folder on your startup volume. This in turn stops the app from accessing code or content in the image or archive.
    When using Sierra, you therefore have to drag the app from a disk image to a location such as /Applications before trying to run it. The same applies to Zip and other archives, or apps downloaded to your Downloads folder. Once you have moved the app in the Finder, it will not be translocated by Gatekeeper.

Octorok
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    5.46%
    Thank you, where exactly do I need to move it to? I don't think I have a Games folder, I just tried putting it into Applications but the problem was exactly the same.

I've now just found this topic post: http://www.armageddongames.net/showt...c-2-50-2/page6

Someone says it didn't work in the applications folder but they're not specific about where it did work, they say "the only thing that makes it run is being gaming folder" and "For some reason it seems any game folder is like a happy spot for the build to run correctly"

Well I just made a "Games" folder in my user directory and put the files there... but still the same problem. So I don't really understand what he means or where it should be for it to work.

He does seem to describe the same problem, but his solution is vague, so I'm kind of lost

Octorok
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    5.46%
    Okay I found the fix! It's super weird, from this topic: http://www.armageddongames.net/showt...ighlight=macos

I didn't see this topic originally because my issue wasn't confined to ZQuest, but here is the fix from Saffith:

In Finder (it must be in Finder), move the ZC and ZQuest applications to a new folder. Move the applications themselves, not the folder they're in. You can move them back afterward.

That's supposed to disable translocation, after which they should work properly. No one has yet confirmed for us that it works, however."

So it's not so much about putting the files in a "Games" folder. It's about moving the apps, VERY weird. And not only that, but it's about moving each app INDIVIDUALLY! I just tested it again and tried moving both Zelda Classic and ZQuest at once and the problem was not fixed, it only fixed when I moved them individually, and it doesn't matter where you put them, you can put them straight back in "Downloads" if you want. I was moving these files around a lot but it was not fixing because I was moving over all the files at once.
    Saffith's explanation of the fix is more or less right but it does not include that each app needs to be moved individually for this to work.

So anyway, that's it... very weird, but it works! I think we should put this somewhere so people can see it? Perhaps add the information to the download or on the downloads page of the website. Thanks for your help guys :) led me in the right direction at least!

Edit: It seems that if you move the files again together the problem comes back, you HAVE to move them individually EVERY time you want to move the files. Bit of a nuisance
    Last edited by ZoriaRPG; 02-11-2017 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Removed charcoal colour tags that made the post invisible on the 'Morbid Dark' theme, and substituted italics.

The Timelord
    QDB Manager
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    68.7%
    That's the fix, indeed. I should make a sticky for it.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    89.14%
    I'll gather it up, add it to the site FAQ, and a note on the download.
    Apple really complicated this.
    We may be able to get around it with a signed disk image, which I SHOULD be able to provide I'd imagine with my developer account.
    I'll dig into it.

The Timelord
    QDB Manager
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    68.7%
    Quote Originally Posted by War Lord View Post
    I'll gather it up, add it to the site FAQ, and a note on the download.
    Apple really complicated this.
    We may be able to get around it with a signed disk image, which I SHOULD be able to provide I'd imagine with my developer account.
    I'll dig into it.
    IU posted details on a tool for that, and I plan to buy it; but until we get the next build done, for all three OSes, it wasn't high on me list to drop the thirty quid or whatever, on it.

Thread Information