User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can a Commercial Game be sold if created with ZC?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    53.02%

Can a Commercial Game be sold if created with ZC?

That is, if all graphics/musics/etc. were replaced with 100% original work. And if so, does Armageddon Games require any share of profit? thanks
    Last edited by GypsyoftheShade; 06-12-2013 at 12:09 AM.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    93.82%

selling a game with zelda classic is like selling things you've made out of play-doh.

no one will buy it and you should feel bad.

Also, selling things made with ZC is prohibited and has been since day one.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    13.72%
    Quote Originally Posted by GypsyoftheShade View Post
    That is, if all graphics/musics/etc. were replaced with 100% original work. And if so, does Armageddon Games require any share of profit? thanks
    Disclaimer: I'm not speaking for AGN when I say this, and this is not the "official company line", but realistically speaking...

Yes! you can sell your quests. And no, Armageddon Games does not require any share of revenue or profit.

While it would certainly be best if your quest were 100% original work, whether or not you could sell a quest that uses assets created by Nintendo (or some other copyright holder) is a legal grey area.
    The legality would hinge upon whether or not such a quest constitutes a fair-use derivative work.
    Unfortunately there is no cut and dry metric to know whether your work is fair-use. That is something that would be determined by a judge on a case-by-case basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Majora View Post
    Also, selling things made with ZC is prohibited and has been since day one.
    Hold yer horses, pardner! There is no precedent for this.
    Users do not agree to any license when they download Zelda Classic. Quests created within it are just as much yours to do whatever you please with as is a drawing you created in MS-Paint.
    I think both you and the OP will find this to be an interesting and relevant read: http://armageddongames.net/showthrea...3-ZC-licensing

Shattered Earth, coming soon!

Mappers needed. If you want to help, send a PM to MasterSwordUltima.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    53.02%
    It might be doughy but I feel good about wanting to make a game that people will like and even better about making one that people will WANT to pay for when it's said and done.

Are you trying to say that the Legend of Zelda can never by matched again? I beg to differ my dragon

I think both you and the OP will find this to be an interesting and relevant read: http://armageddongames.net/showthrea...3-ZC-licensing
    I'll check this out. And trust me I would never try to sell Nintendo Zelda lol
    Last edited by GypsyoftheShade; 06-12-2013 at 01:39 AM.

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.12%
    Pretty much what Glenn said.

Zelda Classic itself could never be sold since it uses IP of Nintendo. However what third party users do with the program is their business. If you can replace the assets so you are not violating any copyrights, then it shouldn't be a problem except for the fact that we're now in a murky gray area as far as interface is concerned. ie; save files, logo, menu, all of which are pretty much a copy of the NES layout. I'm not sure about that part, though I doubt you could get under Nintendo's radar unless your game somehow made a lot of money.
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.97%
    Selling a quest will be frowned upon by most and I don't know how many you will find to actually pay for it(I won't). That said there is nothing to stop you or anyone from trying to sell quests made with ZC. If you do manage to make a must play quest that is worth paying for I'll probably find a way to get it for free.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    13.72%
    Quote Originally Posted by SUCCESSOR View Post
    If you do manage to make a must play quest that is worth paying for I'll probably find a way to get it for free.
    I'm sure GypsyoftheShade will remember this when he makes the quest that becomes the next Minecraft, is sitting on top of a pile of money and routinely gets invited to go with a friend to the Playboy Mansion.

There are a lot of amazing quests (like those from DarkFlameWolf) that are 100% free and are the result of years of experience with Zelda Classic, so I'm going to tell you that you're up against some stiff competition if you want to make a buck off your quests.
    But in the end it all comes down to Marketing 101. If you can get your product in front of the right person's eyes, and your supply meets their demand, you'll make the sale and I won't begrudge you for it.

Shattered Earth, coming soon!

Mappers needed. If you want to help, send a PM to MasterSwordUltima.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    78.95%
    Any quests made by Zquest require the Zelda Classic program to run them. Unlike other makers which allows you to compile a game that runs separately from it's maker. You'd be charging for a quest that requires someone to come get the free player from AGN, and they may be wondering why you're charging when all the other quests are offered for free. The other option would be to include ZC in your download package, which puts you back in the legal issues of selling Nintendo's IP for profit.
    <- Play Triforce Quest!

"The greatness of one's sorrow when parting is the evidence of the deepness of one's love. So If one fears sadness, one wouldn't be able to love anything."
    -Belldandy, Oh My Goddess!

"Who cares if I'm a star up here?" - Minmei, Robotech
    "You bookahs worry too much about external appearances. It's what's inside your skull that counts." - Taimi, Guild Wars 2

Octorok
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    12.04%
    Quote Originally Posted by GypsyoftheShade View Post
    I'd say wait until the open source release so you can remove the Nintendo graphics, sounds, and music that are integrated into the ZC distribution.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    53.02%
    Quote Originally Posted by SUCCESSOR View Post
    Selling a quest will be frowned upon by most and I don't know how many you will find to actually pay for it(I won't). That said there is nothing to stop you or anyone from trying to sell quests made with ZC. If you do manage to make a must play quest that is worth paying for I'll probably find a way to get it for free.
    lol well I just have ambition thats all. Love for the game is why I'm here in the first place. I really just wanna make a good quest that people will like and talk about haha, but I do wish Nintendo would expand their horizons to the indie game makers like us.

Either way I'll try to make something fun, thanks for the replies.
    Last edited by GypsyoftheShade; 06-12-2013 at 07:00 PM.

Thread Information